finally finished the YJ!!

Old June 11th 05, 05:35 PM
wallster

> I'm of the same mind when it comes to my `79 CJ-5, although mine is more
> of an amazingly life-like recreation than a true restoration. I didn't
> build it to sell and at the moment I've more money in it that I could
> possibly get for it, even on a dark night. In any case I plan on
> keeping it forever -- or until I no longer have a place to park it.
>
> What I was wondering about the salvage title was if it would doom the
> vehicle to DMV inspections every time it changed hands or to insurance
> surcharges, and I really was just wondering without any background on
> the matter. I suppose it might depend on the state the sale was in.

When I bought this jeep, it didn't have a title, just a receipt from
the insurance company along with an application for registration or
title. I sent the state of NY the filled out application, a description
of the work that had been done, a paid sales tax receipt, and of coarse
a check, $110. for all their trouble.
They mailed me back a state inspection date (this took 6 weeks). When I
transported the vehicle to the NYS inspection facility, They reviewed
the receipts (for the replacement parts) and checked all used parts
(with vin numbers) to verify i didn't use stolen parts. They inspected
the work, stamped my paperwork, then a week later the state sent me a
new title with "salvaged vehicle" stamped on it.
Anytime the vehicle gets sold and registered it's the same as a regular
title, just this salvaged vehicle stamp follows the vehicle so the next
buyer knows that it had been paid off by an insurance company claim for
one reason or another. If the vehicle was stolen, then recovered after
the insurance company settled with the owner, it becomes a salvaged
vehicle as well. (flood damage, accident, stolen,etc. they all end up
as a salvaged vehicle)
I know guys that will buy three vehicles. One hit lets say in the front
right side, another hit on the left, and a third hit from behind. The
idea is to repair two vehicles with one, then sell them. If they're
done right, they look and drive fine but sell for less. It's a personal
thing. I've owned three previously salvaged vehicles and they were all
pretty nice, just worth a little less. I haven't had any problems with
insurance, or registrations. This is all a little different depending
on the State your in.
I don't think i would do another though because it's a long process and
it takes too much time not to mention all the work that needs to be
completed. (but if i do the work i know it was done properly, so peice
of mind is nice to have... and bragging rights!)

walt