Broke Yoke

Old April 16th 05, 01:22 AM
Ben

Default Broke Yoke

Ok.. I just got the Jeep off the jack stands and on the ground.. We were
pressing in the u-joint for the yoke for the Ford 8.8 yoke to flange adapter
when the groove for the u-joint c-clip broke off... Check out these pics...

http://www.knology.net/~bmccune/axle/yoke1.jpg
http://www.knology.net/~bmccune/axle/yoke2.jpg
http://www.knology.net/~bmccune/axle/yoke3.jpg
http://www.knology.net/~bmccune/axle/yoke4.jpg

Ben
95 YJ 2.5L

Old April 16th 05, 01:39 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Ben,
Next time push the first cap over half way out towards the center
of the yoke, before you start the opposite cup, that lessens the chance
of a bearing falling out of place to the bottom.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old April 16th 05, 01:44 AM
Mike Romain

That is a really common failure after a u-joint vibrates itself to
death. I would be checking the other half very carefully because I
usually see the little tab there bent. It is cast and bending it back
will last maybe 2 or 3 miles......

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 16th 05, 01:45 AM
Mike Romain

LOL! I missed the 'pressing' part....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 16th 05, 03:03 AM
Ben

It was brand new and was never on the road... It is the MORE Ford 8.8 Yoke
to flange... It was brand new.. I was putting in the u-joint to install my
drive shaft... It was so strange..

Ben
95 YJ 2.5L

Old April 16th 05, 03:08 AM
Mike Romain

Then that is why I prefer to tap them in with a hammer. If a needle
gets down under you feel it before it blows out the end clip.

Mike

Old April 16th 05, 04:49 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Ditto.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old April 16th 05, 03:11 PM
Ben

Well.. I was using that big C-clamp thing from Harbor Freight.. Not a
hydraulic press... But I got off the phone with OK4WD where I got the Ford
8.8.. They said it should have never happened.. They said it was more like
bad casting.. They are shipping a brand new on this monday... And I will
ship the old one back to them... If all goes well.. I will be wheeling again
next weekend...

Ben
95 YJ 2.5L

Old April 16th 05, 03:24 PM
Mike Romain

I would be checking the u-joint very carefully to be sure one end isn't
missing a needle bearing or if you find crumbs of one it needs
replacing.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 16th 05, 08:01 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Ditto, it's history.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Mike Romain wrote:

> I would be checking the u-joint very carefully to be sure one end isn't
> missing a needle bearing or if you find crumbs of one it needs
> replacing.
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Speedometer cable broke...repair said> Tom Nakashima VW air cooled 12 March 17th 05 02:29 PM
broke the bleeder screw [email protected] Technology 9 March 13th 05 11:24 PM
164 broke Catman Alfa Romeo 6 November 4th 04 04:45 AM
92 SL2 - Help, I broke my carseat!!! Elson Trinidad Saturn 4 July 21st 04 10:17 AM