Good News -- Boy Scout Found in Utah

Old June 21st 05, 09:37 PM
Jeff Strickland

Default Good News -- Boy Scout Found in Utah

As of about 12:15 pacific time, the kid at the Boy Scout Camp in Utah has
been found alive and in excellent shape. They are taking him to Children's
Hospital in Salt Lake (I think), for observation, but he is fine and unhurt.

I know you guys like a happy ending, and maybe this is your first source of
news during the day.

Old June 21st 05, 09:41 PM
Jerry Bransford

Yep, just read that. That was truly GREAT news that sadly doesn't
happen enough with cases of lost children.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old June 21st 05, 09:50 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

So cool:
http://news.google.com/news?q=Boy+Sc...ab=nn&oi=newsr
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 21st 05, 09:52 PM
Rusted

That one is a little close to home for me. In 5 weeks I am taking a group
of scouts up to that same place. In my 10 or so years of being a scout
leader we have taken 3 or 4 groups of kids to those scout camps. That kid
spent 4 nights out in the cold, in my book that makes him a pretty tough
guy. I would not want to go through what he has gone through. I understand
that he finally walked himself to a road and was picked up from there, it
was about 3 miles from where he was last seen.

Old June 21st 05, 10:42 PM
DougW

Rusted did pass the time by typing:
> That one is a little close to home for me. In 5 weeks I am taking a group
> of scouts up to that same place. In my 10 or so years of being a scout
> leader we have taken 3 or 4 groups of kids to those scout camps. That kid
> spent 4 nights out in the cold, in my book that makes him a pretty tough
> guy. I would not want to go through what he has gone through. I understand
> that he finally walked himself to a road and was picked up from there, it
> was about 3 miles from where he was last seen.

What gets me is Scouts teaches the buddy system. Given that kids (myself
included) do wander away on campouts, at least the kid had some common sense
and followed water to roads. One thing for sure he will now have something
to remember.

I was worried he tried to cross the river. Most folk don't get it, but
only 2-3" of running water can pull your legs right out from under you
and it's hell to get back to shore without getting beaten on the rocks.
Deeper water is actually easier to get out of since you can swim at an angle
and eventually reach shore.

--
DougW
Eagle Scout

Old June 21st 05, 10:58 PM
Jerry Bransford

He wasn't actually part of the event, he was not a member of any of the
Boy Scout troops that were there. He attended with an adult friend for
the day, so he was not a member of any Patrol or Troop organization that
do always use the Buddy system.

Jerry

Old June 21st 05, 11:00 PM
Rusted

A few thoughts with that. After years of lower than normal water fall Utah
finally had a huge snowfall / rainfall catch up year. We have had lots of
water, all of the streams are over flowing, many are being sand bagged.
That river up there is plenty to wash about anyone or anything down stream
right now. I can't foresee a kid that size being able to cross the river
that they were searching

This kid is 11 years old. I had a very smart kid who got lost in his own
neighborhood just 3 houses away from his. I am not kidding. He had lived
there his whole life, I pulled into the drive way and all of the kids were
just going to walk home since they all live close. This one kid started
walking west when you can see his house from my house just 3 doors away to
the east. Once he was about 5 houses away still going the wrong direction I
flagged him down to ask where he was going. He was very insistent that he
was going home. We walked back to my house, I had to point to his house
before he finally believed me and realized that he was going the wrong way.
That little experienced made me realize just how close you have to watch
these guys. It was a funny story at the time, but did wake me up to the
abilities.

One thing that was in his favor was that the nights were only down to the
low 50's. So the nighttime temperatures were very survivable, not that I
would want to sleep the night out there with a sweatshirt and shorts, but it
could be done.

Old June 21st 05, 11:10 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Jerry Bransford" > wrote in message
> Yep, just read that. That was truly GREAT news that sadly doesn't
> happen enough with cases of lost children.
>
> Jerry

Well yeah, most kids that are missing aren't lost at all, they're stolen.

Old June 21st 05, 11:12 PM
Rusted

I think he was part of the camp, but not a full part. Normally the 11 year
old kids can not attend multi-night events. Those camps up there are set up
for week long summer camps. Our 11 year old kids are invited to attend
Friday night, and come home with the group on Saturday. That way they get
one over-night camp and get an idea of what the week long camps are like.
He went missing on a Friday night, so I think he was up there for his one
night.

Old June 21st 05, 11:14 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Rusted" > wrote in message
> A few thoughts with that. After years of lower than normal water fall

Utah
> finally had a huge snowfall / rainfall catch up year. We have had lots of
> water, all of the streams are over flowing, many are being sand bagged.
> That river up there is plenty to wash about anyone or anything down stream
> right now. I can't foresee a kid that size being able to cross the river
> that they were searching

The initial reports that I heard -- very sketchy at best -- were that he DID
cross the river at some point. I assume they know this because they found
him on the other side from where he went missing.