93 GT front rotors recommendations

Old December 7th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Fixing Stuff

Default 93 GT front rotors recommendations

Anyone have any recommendations on replacement front rotors?
I am looking at drilled and/or slotted aftermarket and best pads to match.

Old December 8th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB

Fixing Stuff wrote:

> Anyone have any recommendations on replacement front rotors?
> I am looking at drilled and/or slotted aftermarket and best pads to match.

Drilled and slotted are for Bling only. They will actually
reduce braking performance.
But if you must have them, look at companies like Brembo and
Wilwood for a quality part.
For pads, I'm partial to Hawk HP+ for the street,
Porterfield R4 on the track.

--
..boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

Old December 8th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson, PE

Fixing Stuff wrote:
> Anyone have any recommendations on replacement front rotors?
> I am looking at drilled and/or slotted aftermarket and best pads to match.

I have cryo treated rotors on my '89 LX that work very well. Here's a
link: http://www.appliedrotortechnology.com/
Old December 8th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Fixing Stuff

" Drilled and slotted are for Bling only. They will actually reduce
braking performance."
That's interesting... everything I have read says they will reduce heat and
improve braking. I'm not into the bling factor, I want better working and
longer lasting brakes. Guess it's time for more research.
Does Willwood make street parts? I thought they were drag race only.
Thanks for the info.

om...

Old December 8th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Fixing Stuff

Thanks for the reply. The link does not seem to work, I'll google it.

Old December 8th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson, PE

It worked for me so I know the site is still up and running.

Old December 8th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
L benn

definitely drilled rotors reduce braking. If you really want great
performance put larger calipers and pads on it along with larger rotors, and
wheels the cross drilled rotors chew away at the brake pad and really do
nothing practical for a car except maybe look cool. Personally I like safe
much better than cool.

Old December 8th 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB

Fixing Stuff wrote:
> " Drilled and slotted are for Bling only. They will actually reduce
> braking performance."
> That's interesting... everything I have read says they will reduce heat and
> improve braking. I'm not into the bling factor, I want better working and
> longer lasting brakes. Guess it's time for more research.
> Does Willwood make street parts? I thought they were drag race only.
> Thanks for the info.

Yes, that statement is often contrary to what people believe.
They often point to the high end Porsche as an example. Ever
priced a porsche brake rotor? Drilled/slotted rotors work great
on a race car. But they beat the crap out of their brakes, and
use rotors that cost hundreds of dollars each. They also
replace the rotors after one race week end (or less).
Brakes work by converting rotational energy into heat energy.
More contact area = more heat, which means the brakes work
better. Holes and slots will decrease surface area, and braking
efficiency. You can use drilled rotors if you really think you
need that much brake cooling. But you'll need to increase the
size of the rotor to compensate. It's cheaper, easier, and
lighter to add cooling ducts.
Go to the Bear Brakes and Willwood Brakes web site. Go read
the FAQ page, and see what the pros say.

--
..boB

Old December 8th 06, 01:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_1_]

"Fixing Stuff" > wrote in
:

> Anyone have any recommendations on replacement front rotors?
> I am looking at drilled and/or slotted aftermarket and best pads to
> match.

Been using PowerSlots with Hawk pads for years. Great performance for OEM
replacement.

Joe
Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC
Old December 8th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"Joe" > wrote in message
> "Fixing Stuff" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Anyone have any recommendations on replacement front rotors?
>> I am looking at drilled and/or slotted aftermarket and best pads to
>> match.

> Been using PowerSlots with Hawk pads for years. Great performance for OEM
> replacement.
>
> Joe
> Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
> Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

Absolutely. I'm there.

Very first upgrade I ever did on any automobile was to trash the stock
rotors on the '93 LX and throw on a pair of PowerSlots. An amazing and very
satisfying difference.

dwight