Towing a Jayco 1406 Camper with a YJ 4.0L

Old March 22nd 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dwayne

Default Towing a Jayco 1406 Camper with a YJ 4.0L

It's that time of the year when we pull out our campers and get them
ready for some spring camping. I've been pulling my camper with a Ford
F-250 and have had no problems. I have recently sold the Ford and plan
to use my Jeep Wrangler as the tow vehicle. For those who are not
familiar with the Jayco 1406 series camper, its 14ft in length closed
and is pretty heavy. Does anyone have any experience towing this type
of camper with a smaller vehicle like the Jeep Wrangler? Or experience
pulling any camper with a Wrangler?

Happy Jeeping,

Dwayne

Old March 22nd 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl S

Whats the weight on the camper? CJ, YJ, and TJ cannot tow more than
2,000lbs, and that's pushing it.

Carl

oups.com...

Old March 22nd 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dwayne

On Mar 21, 10:17 pm, "Carl S" > wrote:
> Whats the weight on the camper? CJ, YJ, and TJ cannot tow more than
> 2,000lbs, and that's pushing it.
>
> Carl
>
> "Dwayne" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...

Only 2000lbs, that's a shame. I'm sure my camper is over 2000lbs. I'm
going to the Jayco dealer tomorrow and picking up the owners manual so
I know what the camper weight is before I try towing with the Jeep.

Thanks!

Old March 22nd 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl S

The engine, transmission and axles are OK to tow more than 2,000lbs. The
problem is the short wheelbase. Any kind of turn at speed is likely to cause
a jacknife.

Carl

oups.com...

Old March 22nd 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Micah

I really wouldn't recommend it. My YJ (4.2L) pulls my empty utility
trailer fine, but when the trailer starts getting full... close to or
above a ton it starts slowing down. A lot.

Try hooking up your camper and just taking it around the block at
home. See how it handles and determine whether you think it'd be
alright on the highway. My vote is: No.

Old March 22nd 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl S

It's not only unsafe, it's illegal. That means in the event of a collision,
you could be determined to be at fault, even if it wasn't your fault. You
run a substantial legal risk, plus the potential for your insurance to deny
part or all of your claim.

Carl

oups.com...

Old March 22nd 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Micah

depends whether it's a comparative or contributory negligence state.
regardless. rent a truck.

Old March 22nd 07, 07:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

BAD IDEA. The wheelbase on the YJ is too short to tow a camper like that
safely.

oups.com...

Old March 22nd 07, 07:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

Or buy back his F250.

oups.com...

Old March 22nd 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dwayne

I want to thank everyone for your comments and suggestions on this
topic. I guess it's time up update my old Jeep and use this as an
excess to buy a 2007 unlimited. Well I can always dream about owning
one!

Thanks again!

Dwayne

Help tuning an Edelbrock 1406 600cfm geltzjj Technology 2 March 16th 06 03:26 PM
Edelbrock AMC Performer intake and 1406 Carb For Sale [email protected] Jeep 0 November 30th 05 09:23 PM
EGR error 1406 [email protected] Saturn 6 September 21st 05 01:24 PM
4x4 Camper Van Tyler Durden 4x4 0 December 15th 04 12:30 AM
4x4 Camper Van Tyler Durden 4x4 0 December 15th 04 12:29 AM