Harmonic Balancer

Old August 30th 05, 05:54 AM
Richard

Default Harmonic Balancer

What exactly are the symptoms of the balancer going "south"? What does one
look for/do to test and/or confirm the integrity of the balancer? Is this a
problem normally encountered in a 11 years old GT?
--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
4:10 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red

Old August 30th 05, 03:38 PM
larrylass

under acceleration the engine will knock loudly as you accelerate harder.
the balancer is advancing the timing. look for an oil leak in the front seal
area as this deteriorates the rubber in the balancer. eventually this will
lead to the balancer coming apart as it did on my 95 gt

Big lar

Old August 30th 05, 03:59 PM
Richard

I asked the question as I noticed a slight vibration while on a recent long
drive at speed. (you can feel it in the floor pan) Very slight but
nevertheless there and it appears to be throttle sensitive. Trying to rule
out certain items of the many that could be the cause.

Old August 31st 05, 12:09 AM

You can put matchmarks on the hub and pulley of the damper. (BTW, on
the 5.0L it's a harmonic damper; the engine is internally balanced.)

If the rubber is deteriorating you will probably notice the matchmarks
getting further apart as you put mileage on the car.

M dad's '96 GT developed a shake noticeable only on the highway too.
It turned out to be the driveshaft being out of balance. $120 to
balance and get new U-joints and the car was smooooth after that!

BTW, I notice in your sig that you have under drive pulleys. Most of
the UDPs I've seen eliminate the rubber-isolated harmonic damper.

Old August 31st 05, 01:08 AM
David M

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:09:03 -0700, scromwell2 rearranged some electrons
to form:

> BTW, on
> the 5.0L it's a harmonic damper; the engine is internally balanced.)

No, it isn't.
http://www.mustangandfords.com/techa...38/index2.html

among others.

> M dad's '96 GT developed a shake noticeable only on the highway too.
> It turned out to be the driveshaft being out of balance. $120 to
> balance and get new U-joints and the car was smooooth after that!

Did you break that too while abusing the car?

--
David M (dmacchiarolo)
http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled

Old August 31st 05, 05:28 AM

Huh. I had a Ford truck w/ 302 and it had a plain round damper and
flywheel. I wonder if they were incorrectly in there?

(BTW, today is the first day I drove my dad's car. 10 years and 125k
miles gave him plenty of time to wear it out.)

Old August 31st 05, 06:59 AM
Richard

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> M dad's '96 GT developed a shake noticeable only on the highway too.
> It turned out to be the driveshaft being out of balance. $120 to
> balance and get new U-joints and the car was smooooth after that!

New aluminum drive shaft with u-joints installed last year

> BTW, I notice in your sig that you have under drive pulleys. Most of
> the UDPs I've seen eliminate the rubber-isolated harmonic damper.

UDP's have been on the car for 4 years.

I'm beginning to think that maybe it's not driveline related. As I've only
had the car for 4 years and the mufflers are stock,I'm now wondering if the
vibration could be comimg from a muffler whose inards are coming apart. I've
had to weld the tail pipes back on twice (one each side) this past year.

Harmonic Balancer Larry Mazda 1 September 18th 05 07:15 AM
Harmonic balancer on Mazda 626 SQ Technology 5 August 31st 05 12:26 AM
89 g.m. 3.8 harmonic balancer -right or left thread pattern?? ronssilverado Technology 2 July 31st 05 05:45 AM
Can harmonic ballancer be welded? Wan A. Cat Technology 3 April 29th 05 07:56 AM
Need Crankshaft Pulley - Harmonic Balancer Kirsten Saturn 1 May 24th 04 12:46 PM