Bad Harmonic Balancer

Old July 30th 06, 03:33 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Stephen[_3_]

Default Bad Harmonic Balancer

I have a '98/C5. The rubber that separates the harmonic balancer from the
flywheel has broken off. So I guess it needs the whole assembly. Is there
any altenative? I understand when a blower is put in there's a way to lock
the two together. Can the rubber relaced? If indeed the whole balancer needs
replacement what should be a fair cost? Is this something I should take it
to a dealer for or use a trusted mechanic?

PS: does anyone have the repair instructions for this job?

--
All the best,

Stephen
Old July 30th 06, 11:05 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I

here is the "pinning" they do to it when a supercharger is installed

http://www.lingenfelter.com/pdf/Inte...C%20manual.pdf

Old July 31st 06, 11:51 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
JCORVETTE 72&75

im sure u need a new balancer. the rubber cant be replaced as its a
factory assembly.
u will need a balancer remover and a balancer installer. im not sure of
your situation on a 98 but you should be able to do it yourself
i could be totally wrong but it sounds like a typical balancer on
millions of cars.

Old July 31st 06, 12:42 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Keith

It's pretty expensive because they have to remove a lot of stuff in
front of the balancer to remove the old one and replace it. I'd stick
with a mechanic and avoid the dealership... it't not rocket science and
any decent mechanic should be able to do it.

Old July 31st 06, 10:35 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Redbull

Never go to the dealer if you have a mechanic available..my son just took
his van into the dealer for the 30,000 mile check up and it cost him $326
for nothing more than a basic $ 13.95 Wal-Mart oil change...the rest of the
work was pure bullsh**...paid for shop supplies..check battery,check
water,check wipers and on and on but no real work of any kind done...etc..a
super rip off....do any of you realize that the person taking you car in for
service gets a big commision on any of the repairs that you come in
for...???

Old July 31st 06, 11:50 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Keith" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> It's pretty expensive because they have to remove a lot of stuff in
> front of the balancer to remove the old one and replace it. I'd stick
> with a mechanic and avoid the dealership... it't not rocket science and
> any decent mechanic should be able to do it.

Might be time for an under drive balancer and new belts. Balancer is not keyed
and is not a heavy press although some rust may bind it a bit.

Old August 1st 06, 12:59 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Steve Horrillo

On 31-Jul-2006, "Keith" > wrote:

> It's pretty expensive because they have to remove a lot of stuff in
> front of the balancer to remove the old one and replace it. I'd stick
> with a mechanic and avoid the dealership... it't not rocket science and
> any decent mechanic should be able to do it.

They even charged be for an alighnment because they had to remove the
steering rod.

--
Warmest regards,

Steve Horrillo, Realtor / C.Ht.

MLS Training http://BrokerAgentTraining.com
Join EXIT Realty http://over100percent.com
Old August 1st 06, 01:09 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Steve Horrillo

On 30-Jul-2006, Bob I > wrote:

> here is the "pinning" they do to it when a supercharger is installed
>
> http://www.lingenfelter.com/pdf/Inte...C%20manual.pdf
>
> Stephen wrote:
>
> > I have a '98/C5. The rubber that separates the harmonic balancer from
> > the
> > flywheel has broken off. So I guess it needs the whole assembly. Is
> > there
> > any altenative? I understand when a blower is put in there's a way to
> > lock
> > the two together. Can the rubber relaced? If indeed the whole balancer
> > needs
> > replacement what should be a fair cost? Is this something I should take
> > it
> > to a dealer for or use a trusted mechanic?
> >
> > PS: does anyone have the repair instructions for this job?

That's not going to be any short cuts for me, IMO the Hamonic Balancer still
needs to be replaced, then pinned. Then the blower... Right?

Old August 1st 06, 01:09 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Steve Horrillo

On 31-Jul-2006, "Dad" > wrote:

> "Keith" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > It's pretty expensive because they have to remove a lot of stuff in
> > front of the balancer to remove the old one and replace it. I'd stick
> > with a mechanic and avoid the dealership... it't not rocket science and
> > any decent mechanic should be able to do it.
> >

> Might be time for an under drive balancer and new belts. Balancer is not
> keyed
> and is not a heavy press although some rust may bind it a bit

Just replaced both belts and a tensioner 4/6/06. Stopped the squeeking for a
couple of months but obviously there was more to it.

--
Warmest regards,

Steve

97 XJ Harmonic Balancer Dave in Columbus Jeep 4 January 19th 06 10:48 PM
Bad Harmonic Balancer Steve Horrillo Corvette 12 January 16th 06 03:40 AM
Harmonic Balancer Larry Mazda 1 September 18th 05 07:15 AM
89 g.m. 3.8 harmonic balancer -right or left thread pattern?? ronssilverado Technology 2 July 31st 05 05:45 AM
Need Crankshaft Pulley - Harmonic Balancer Kirsten Saturn 1 May 24th 04 12:46 PM