Passat "Check Engine" light on

Old October 21st 09, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Eric O.

Default Passat "Check Engine" light on

LG wrote:
> Pretty much all 2001-2007 MY Volkswagen Gasoline Engine Vehicles with
> Ignition Coils

ah.. I have a 2009 Rabbit which I suppose is not in the recall then?

Eric

Old October 22nd 09, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
LG

This is to inform you of an upcoming Emissions Service Action for ignition
coils on some 2001-2007 model year Volkswagen gasoline engine vehicles in
the United States and in Canada. We are informing you of this upcoming
voluntary campaign so that you will be able to answer any customer inquiries
that may result from internet and press coverage.

What is the problem?

Vehicles affected by this action may have ignition coils that could
malfunction under certain conditions. If this happens, the malfunction
indicator lamp (MIL) will illuminate to let you know that the vehicle may
experience some deterioration in performance. Please refer to your vehicle
owner's manual for additional information when the MIL comes on, and if
necessary, you should take your vehicle to the nearest authorized Volkswagen
dealer for diagnosis and repair as soon as possible. In some cases, a
malfunctioning ignition coil may cause a vehicle to exceed Federal and/or
California/Provincial emissions standards.

What is the repair?

Dealers will inspect and, as necessary, replace the ignition coils in
affected vehicles. This work will be performed at no cost to customers.

When will the repair be available?

While we do have limited quantities of most part numbers on hand to help
address customer vehicles with immediate needs, the currently parts supply
does not permit a full rollout to all affected customers at this time.

Because of this, we have established a dealer and customer notification plan
based on the projected parts arrival schedule. This rollout will begin in
October and will continue throughout the coming months, as follows:

? On or about October 23, 2009, the first customer mailing will begin. We
estimate that this first mailing will contain approximately 90,000 U.S.
customers and approximately 10,000 Canadian customers. These are customers
who will be invited to their authorized Volkswagen dealer for the campaign
inspection/repair.

? On or about October 23, 2009, we will also begin proactively notifying all
other known customers about this upcoming campaign. These customers will be
sent a second letter at a later date when sufficient part stock is available
for their vehicle. The mailings will take place over the coming months, and
will be grouped by engine type, model and model year as parts supply becomes
available.

Old October 22nd 09, 04:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bert Hyman

In "LG" > wrote:

> In some cases, a malfunctioning ignition coil may cause a vehicle to
> exceed Federal and/or California/Provincial emissions standards.

In other cases, a malfunctioning ignition coil will reduce engine
emissions to zero :-)

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old October 22nd 09, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Batvanio

On Oct 22, 8:24*am, "LG" > wrote:
> This is to inform you of an upcoming Emissions Service Action for ignition
> coils on some 2001-2007 model year Volkswagen gasoline engine vehicles in
> the United States and in Canada. We are informing you of this upcoming
> voluntary campaign so that you will be able to answer any customer inquiries
> that may result from internet and press coverage.
>
> What is the problem?
>
> Vehicles affected by this action may have ignition coils that could
> malfunction under certain conditions. If this happens, the malfunction
> indicator lamp (MIL) will illuminate to let you know that the vehicle may
> experience some deterioration in performance. Please refer to your vehicle
> owner's manual for additional information when the MIL comes on, and if
> necessary, you should take your vehicle to the nearest authorized Volkswagen
> dealer for diagnosis and repair as soon as possible. In some cases, a
> malfunctioning ignition coil may cause a vehicle to exceed Federal and/or
> California/Provincial emissions standards.
>
> What is the repair?
>
> Dealers will inspect and, as necessary, replace the ignition coils in
> affected vehicles. This work will be performed at no cost to customers.
>
> When will the repair be available?
>
> While we do have limited quantities of most part numbers on hand to help
> address customer vehicles with immediate needs, the currently parts supply
> does not permit a full rollout to all affected customers at this time.
>
> Because of this, we have established a dealer and customer notification plan
> based on the projected parts arrival schedule. This rollout will begin in
> October and will continue throughout the coming months, as follows:
>
> ? On or about October 23, 2009, the first customer mailing will begin. We
> estimate that this first mailing will contain approximately 90,000 U.S.
> customers and approximately 10,000 Canadian customers. These are customers
> who will be invited to their authorized Volkswagen dealer for the campaign
> inspection/repair.
>
> ? On or about October 23, 2009, we will also begin proactively notifying all
> other known customers about this upcoming campaign. These customers will be
> sent a second letter at a later date when sufficient part stock is available
> for their vehicle. The mailings will take place over the coming months, and
> will be grouped by engine type, model and model year as parts supply becomes
> available.

Thank you all very much for the information.
The problem is that I cannot wait for the recall to come (the car doe
not run properly is in the repair shop now). Are they going to
reimburce for the cost of repair? It is also not in the dealership
service shop because ALL of the local dealership service shops have
quite bad reputation...
Old October 22nd 09, 07:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bert Hyman

In
Batvanio > wrote:

> The problem is that I cannot wait for the recall to come (the car doe
> not run properly is in the repair shop now). Are they going to
> reimburce for the cost of repair? It is also not in the dealership
> service shop because ALL of the local dealership service shops have
> quite bad reputation...

With the last coil recall, the documents that I received said that
people who already had to pay for replacements would be reimbursed. I
believe that this would apply to work done anywhere, so long as you can
provide documentation.

A phone call or email to someone at VW could probably get you a real
answer. There's some contact info at
http://www.vw.com/customerservice/contactus/en/us/ which might be of
some use in getting started.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old October 22nd 09, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Eric O.

Default 2001-2007 ignition coil notice

LG wrote:
> This is to inform you of an upcoming Emissions Service Action for ignition
> coils on some 2001-2007 model year Volkswagen gasoline engine vehicles in
> the United States and in Canada. We are informing you of this upcoming
> voluntary campaign so that you will be able to answer any customer inquiries
> that may result from internet and press coverage.

Thanks for posting.

My VW is a 2009, so it shouldn't be affected, but I'm surprised at the
high rate of ignition coil failures in VW's cars. I had a 2001 VW GTI
at one time, and this has been happening at least since then.

I wonder if VW will find ignition coil problems in 2008 and newer models..

Eric
Old October 28th 09, 03:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bert Hyman

In
Batvanio > wrote:

> The problem is that I cannot wait for the recall to come (the car doe
> not run properly is in the repair shop now). Are they going to
> reimburce for the cost of repair? It is also not in the dealership
> service shop because ALL of the local dealership service shops have
> quite bad reputation...

If you're the original owner, or if during the chain of ownership each
new owner sent VW the change of address form, you should get the recall
notice soon, if you don't already have it.

Included will be a reimbursement claim form. You'll need to return
copies of all documents related to the repair and payment.

There's even a Web site: http://www.vwcoils.com/

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN