V-6 in '08 Wrangler???

Old October 25th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jack Carter

Default V-6 in '08 Wrangler???

A friend tells me that the engine in my new Wrangler is made by Mitsubushi.
Is he correct? All I've heard is that it's a "good" engine and that it's
used in most Chrysler-made vans and has been around for a long time.

Old October 25th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Yup, it would appear you now have a mini van engine. No more crawling
up the sides of sand pits or over rocks at 400-500 rpm like the old 6
would do. You now need tire spinning, hole digging, rpm to get anyplace.

Probably better on the highway.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...

Old October 25th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jack Carter

Maybe you should check out the gear ratios in the 6-speed transmission and
then take one for a test drive - preferably one with the optional 3.73
axles. If you're open minded - as opposed to empty headed - you might change
your mind!

ng.com...

Old October 25th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
nrs

On Oct 25, 9:40 am, "Jack Carter" >
wrote:
> A friend tells me that the engine in my new Wrangler is made by Mitsubushi.
> Is he correct? All I've heard is that it's a "good" engine and that it's
> used in most Chrysler-made vans and has been around for a long time.

JP Magazine published a torque and HP curve chart from an independent
dyno test showing both the 4.0 and the new 3.8. The curves are just
about exactly the same util up high in RPM, then the 3.8 has a bit
more torque and hp. I have also read that it takes about 5000 miles
to break into this level of performance so in test drives of new
vehicles the engine tends to feel sluggish.

Actually, on paper, the torque curve of the 4.0 is crappy compared to
the 258 and even the old L and F head engines in terms of peak torque
RPM. However, in practice, jeepers love the 4.0.

Old October 25th 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ULB

On Oct 25, 7:40 am, "Jack Carter" >
wrote:
> A friend tells me that the engine in my new Wrangler is made by Mitsubushi.
> Is he correct? All I've heard is that it's a "good" engine and that it's
> used in most Chrysler-made vans and has been around for a long time.

since you already own the vehicle, why worry about it? Especially if
you just bought it with the lifetime warranty.

Old October 25th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bill Spiliotopoulos

I have not seen the dyno results you say, maybe if you could post a link.
But I have to note, that usually dyno results range from around 2000 rpm and
up. They don't tell you what is going on bellow 2000 rpm, and most of the
driving is in the 1200 - 2500 rpm range.

Bill Spiliotopoulos,
'96 XJ,
'06 TJ.

oups.com...

Old October 25th 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_20_]

Mike is right. There is no substitute for a low-revving, high torque engine
with high rotational mass. Simple physics says Mike is right and you are
easily persuaded by marketing smoke and mirrors.

Cheers,

Earle

. ..

Old October 25th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
nrs

On Oct 25, 11:54 am, "Bill Spiliotopoulos" > wrote:
> I have not seen the dyno results you say, maybe if you could post a link.
> But I have to note, that usually dyno results range from around 2000 rpm and
> up. They don't tell you what is going on bellow 2000 rpm, and most of the
> driving is in the 1200 - 2500 rpm range.
>
> Bill Spiliotopoulos,
> '96 XJ,
> '06 TJ.
>
> "nrs" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > On Oct 25, 9:40 am, "Jack Carter" >
> > wrote:
> >> A friend tells me that the engine in my new Wrangler is made by
> >> Mitsubushi.
> >> Is he correct? All I've heard is that it's a "good" engine and that it's
> >> used in most Chrysler-made vans and has been around for a long time.

> > JP Magazine published a torque and HP curve chart from an independent
> > dyno test showing both the 4.0 and the new 3.8. The curves are just
> > about exactly the same util up high in RPM, then the 3.8 has a bit
> > more torque and hp. I have also read that it takes about 5000 miles
> > to break into this level of performance so in test drives of new
> > vehicles the engine tends to feel sluggish.

> > Actually, on paper, the torque curve of the 4.0 is crappy compared to
> > the 258 and even the old L and F head engines in terms of peak torque
> > RPM. However, in practice, jeepers love the 4.0.- Hide quoted text -

Some of my facts were off due to bad memory but here is the link to
the chart. It actually goes to low RPMs.
http://www.jpmagazine.com/projectbui.../photo_03.html

Old October 25th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

You feel the need to insult my opinion just because you got took and
didn't look under the hood?

I feel sorry for you, but Chrysler 'did' make that special oil additive
'just' for the Mitsubishi smokers so it might last a little while... ;-)

So I have the sand pit wall in mind if you want a test, bring on the
mini van engines!!!

Seriously, it would be fun. I am in the Toronto Canada area and love to
sit at the top taking photos of folks trying to make it.

I'll even post the photo album up.

Mike

Old October 25th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_4689_]

Ditto. But I do love spinning tire, just it takes a heck of a lot more
horsepower than that puny V6: http://www.billhughes.com/pismo.htm
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O