Opinions on the W8 Passat

Old October 11th 09, 12:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Opinions on the W8 Passat

Inquiring minds want to know dept.

My local mechanic has a W8 Passat with a pristine body but a blown
engine at his shop.

The owner is thinking about replacing the engine. My guy can get a used
W8 motor for $4500 or a replacement engine from VW for $7500.

Is this car worth fixing?

(This is not my car; I am just curious).
Old October 11th 09, 12:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

And if he doesn't fix it what is it worth?
I think it is worth fixing, but I would hesitate slightly about that price!
lol

I would also want to know WHY the engine blew!!!!

JMHO
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old October 11th 09, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
SFC

What do you mean by "blown engine"? Could be a lot of things, gasket, hole
in the engine block etc. Maybe it's repairable for less....Interesting motor
to take apart!!

SFC

"dave AKA vwdoc1" > schreef in bericht

Old October 13th 09, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

In article >,
"SFC" > wrote:

> What do you mean by "blown engine"? Could be a lot of things, gasket, hole
> in the engine block etc. Maybe it's repairable for less....Interesting motor
> to take apart!!
>
> SFC
>

> "dave AKA vwdoc1" > schreef in bericht
> > And if he doesn't fix it what is it worth?
> > I think it is worth fixing, but I would hesitate slightly about that
> > price! lol
> >
> > I would also want to know WHY the engine blew!!!!
> >
> > JMHO
> > --
> > later,
> > (One out of many daves)
> >
> > > wrote in message
> >> Inquiring minds want to know dept.
> >>
> >> My local mechanic has a W8 Passat with a pristine body but a blown
> >> engine at his shop.
> >>
> >> The owner is thinking about replacing the engine. My guy can get a used
> >> W8 motor for $4500 or a replacement engine from VW for $7500.
> >>
> >> Is this car worth fixing?
> >>
> >> (This is not my car; I am just curious).

I think it had a valve crash. Lotsa chains in that engine. Probably a
turbo 4 or a six would drop in at the cost of the cache of the W8.

Time is money.

Pretty body on this particular unit though.
Old October 15th 09, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
CP Miller

wrote:
> In article >,
> "SFC" > wrote:
>
>> What do you mean by "blown engine"? Could be a lot of things, gasket, hole
>> in the engine block etc. Maybe it's repairable for less....Interesting motor
>> to take apart!!
>>
>> SFC
>>

>> "dave AKA vwdoc1" > schreef in bericht
>>> And if he doesn't fix it what is it worth?
>>> I think it is worth fixing, but I would hesitate slightly about that
>>> price! lol
>>>
>>> I would also want to know WHY the engine blew!!!!
>>>
>>> JMHO
>>> --
>>> later,
>>> (One out of many daves)

> I think it had a valve crash. Lotsa chains in that engine. Probably a
> turbo 4 or a six would drop in at the cost of the cache of the W8.
>
> Time is money.
>
> Pretty body on this particular unit though.

The car (Passat) deserves that W8, not a 2.0 liter four.
If the body is in great shape, a fresh engine might be the way to go.

I have a 2001 Audi A6 with the sport suspension, and a Passat would be
an alternative to me.
Old October 18th 09, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Just talked to a person that just recently traded his '04 Passat W8 due to
engine problems.
He bought it from a VW dealer used at 35K, purchased THEIR recommended
insurance plan on the mechanical systems, had the VW dealer change the oil
at $170 per, but after driving it another 41K miles = sludge problems. :-(
He said the shop + ins. co, looked in the engine, saw sludge and claimed
improper maintenance.
He also indicated that others have experienced issues with those engines at
70K miles also.

I do wonder if this is the same Passat??? 8^o
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

> wrote in message
> In article >,
> "SFC" > wrote:
>
>> What do you mean by "blown engine"? Could be a lot of things, gasket,
>> hole
>> in the engine block etc. Maybe it's repairable for less....Interesting
>> motor
>> to take apart!!
>>
>> SFC
>>

>> "dave AKA vwdoc1" > schreef in bericht
>> > And if he doesn't fix it what is it worth?
>> > I think it is worth fixing, but I would hesitate slightly about that
>> > price! lol
>> >
>> > I would also want to know WHY the engine blew!!!!
>> >
>> > JMHO
>> > --
>> > later,
>> > (One out of many daves)

> I think it had a valve crash. Lotsa chains in that engine. Probably a
> turbo 4 or a six would drop in at the cost of the cache of the W8.
>
> Time is money.
>
> Pretty body on this particular unit though.

opinions on '99 GTI? Nate Nagel[_2_] VW water cooled 0 May 10th 09 12:08 AM
opinions? DougW[_2_] Jeep 5 April 27th 09 03:19 PM
Q7 (4.2 TDI) opinions ? Julius Vindex Audi 2 June 19th 07 12:15 AM
opinions? DougW Jeep 8 December 27th 06 08:05 PM
VW looking for opinions. Bill Berckman VW air cooled 67 August 19th 05 04:06 PM