96 Jetta TD, wiper control arms "falling off"

Old October 14th 09, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default 96 Jetta TD, wiper control arms "falling off"

My wipers are currently inoperable on my Jetta, and when I pop open the
hood and check, the arms appear to have fallen off the "crank" that connects
to the wiper motor (which works fine). Re-connecting the arms just gets me
another swipe or two before they fall off again.

The arms are relatively cheap... around $16 apiece. But I'm wondering
which is more likely to have worn down too much... the arms or the crank?

Worst case, I buy the arms and they fall off too, whereupon I know my crank
needs to be replaced (around $25 new). But does anyone have any experience
with this problem?

--
Brandon Hume - hume -> BOFH.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/
Old October 14th 09, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

PeterD > wrote:
> Are they not supposed to have a retaining clip? (I'm not sure about a
> 96...) I've seen the clip break, fall off, and if you didn't know
> you'd never realize it was missing!

I don't remember a clip... I thought the arms just jammed on, but I've never
had cause to notice. the parts guy at the local VW dealership had no idea,
either.

I really need to dig out my Hayes manual (moved recently...)

--
Brandon Hume - hume -> BOFH.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/
Old October 16th 09, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

I believe that on the 1996 Jetta, those linkage arms just pop onto the wiper
motor linkage and pivot linkages.
No clips!
Now the pivots have clips keeping the pivot shaft in the cylinder along with
a couple of washers and rubber seal.

Yes just buy some new linkage arms, pop them on and wipe your troubles away!
;-)

JMHO
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old October 16th 09, 10:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

dave AKA vwdoc1 > wrote:
> I believe that on the 1996 Jetta, those linkage arms just pop onto the wiper
> motor linkage and pivot linkages.

Yeah, I finally took the time to pop the whole assembly out last night, and
a close look shows no pin at all (and my arms are pretty worn down where
they go around the crank).

I'll probably grab a new pair of arms today.

--
Brandon Hume - hume -> BOFH.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/
Old October 17th 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Eric O.

>> (and my arms are pretty worn down where they go around the crank).

> Uh... let's just pretend I worded this differently, please?

LOL (in a good way)