1999 Beetle Overheating

Old November 11th 09, 09:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

Default PS: 1999 Beetle Overheating

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 12:27:52 -0500, "'whatever'"
> wrote:

>Any Orlando area recommendations for VW mechanic?
>Diane

Are you actually in Orlando, or nearby? I might have a name in the
Tampa area.
Old November 12th 09, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Nate Nagel[_2_]

'whatever' wrote:
> "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
>> Yep it could be the cooling system is not full enough.....OR
>> The water pump impeller, if internal, is slipping and coolant is not
>> flowing fast enough. (plastic impellers suck!)
>> If your vehicle is less than 10 years old, under 100K miles then it may
>> still have a warranty.
>> You did not mention which engine you had!
>>
>> Checks are....
>> Radiator has to get hot at all four corners
>> Heater Hoses have to get hot....both of them.
>>
>> Now are you telling us that the light is blinking or the temperature gauge
>> is going all the way to HOT?
>>

>> "PeterD" > wrote in message

>>> Possibly has everything to do with it. Sounds like the cooling system
>>> needs to be bleed, it has trapped air in it.

> One day it just had that hot smell .. sort of like hot coolant but the hot
> light did not come on .. There was water in the beach ball looking "THING."
> The place where you fill the radiator.
>

> The following morning when I turned on the car, the blue temp light didn't
> come on, it went directly to red. I turned it off and filled it with water.
> It took at least a gallon or two. Didn't over heat after driving it for a
> week, until the car was running for about 15 minutes while my son was doing
> something with my stereo and amplifier ... After 15 minutes, maybe more it
> boiled over ...
>
> I took it to my NON VW mechanic and he tried changing out the heat sensor ..
> that didn't help turn the fan on .. Fan only comes on when the a/c is
> running. This is my first WATER COOLED bug .. pretty sure I am just going
> to sell it ..
>
> http://www.qoam.com/sellout.htm
>
> I think I have $6k in the wheels. [ 6 floater dubs]

check the thermoswitch for the fan, common VW failure but an easy fix

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old November 15th 09, 02:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Erik Dillenkofer[_2_]

Diane - Jan Andersson lives in Orlando. If he can't fix it, nobody can.

Old November 16th 09, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

MASTER MECHANIC "Jan Andersson" is commonly on the aircooled VW newsgroup!
He should be your mechanic! ;-)

You two have fun with email addresses! lol

JMHO
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old November 16th 09, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
'whatever'

I thought Jan only did air-cooled. He had fixed something on my bus before.
I haven't done anything in a week - got pneumonia .. Diane

Old November 16th 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
'whatever'

OH YEAH .. He is a VW genius. He worked on my bus before and is just
MINUTES from my office ..

Diane

Old November 17th 09, 05:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Yeah I guess you are right since this is Jan's reply...........

Hehehehe

I'll stay away from the watercooled VW's thank you very much....

Jan

Sorry that he does not want to touch the water cooled VWs. :-(

Old November 17th 09, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
In2hoppn[_2_]

Hello Diane!

I'd love to have a look at it, but won't be near Orlando for awhile...
probably mid to late winter.
But if you come north, follow the east coast until you hit Hampton Beach
(NH) then turn left and go inland for about an hour... : )

OK, kidding aside... I just figured out my new computer wasn't downloading
all the posts. Hopefully, I've backtracked and not missed anything... well,
unless posted it is fixed... that would be great.

Sounds to me that you are describing that you are overheating only when the
radiator fan should be coming on.
This would be a problem only when running and stuck in stopped or slow
traffic, (or sitting idling when working on stereo system).
And since you say the fan does run with A/C on, that would narrow it down to
temp sensor, related relays/controls, wiring,... OK not that narrowed... but
I would be finding the temp sensor (most likely in the radiator but not sure
at this point) and unplugging it and jumpering it to see if the fan then
runs. If so, bad sensor. This assuming (dangerous word) that you do not
have overheat problem at all when driving. So it's full of coolant, not air
bound, thermostat is opening, and the water pump is pumping. When driving,
the air comes through the radiator and keeps it cool so the fan doesn't have
to come on.

You did say you tried changing heat sensor. Are you sure it was the right
heat sensor? I'm sure it has more than one.

In2hoppn (old school but watercooled)

Old November 17th 09, 02:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 22:48:00 -0600, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
> wrote:

>Yeah I guess you are right since this is Jan's reply...........
>

>Hehehehe
>
>I'll stay away from the watercooled VW's thank you very much....
>
>Jan
>

>Sorry that he does not want to touch the water cooled VWs. :-(

I bet he'd know someone locally who will and can do them however.
THat's what I did when I needed some help and only knew an air-cooled
expert. He sent me to the right guy immediately!
Old November 17th 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:41:42 -0500, "In2hoppn" >
wrote:

>Hello Diane!
>
>I'd love to have a look at it, but won't be near Orlando for awhile...
>probably mid to late winter.
>But if you come north, follow the east coast until you hit Hampton Beach
>(NH) then turn left and go inland for about an hour... : )

OK, so about an hour would put her at my house. Where are you, anyway?
(Jaffrey...)

1999 New Beetle Andy VW water cooled 5 May 8th 07 02:34 AM
Cause of Beetle overheating? Mike Wolf VW water cooled 5 August 1st 06 09:34 PM
Overheating 1999 Mercury Mountaineer (Ford Explorer) 5.0L V8 Imran Ford Explorer 4 May 25th 06 03:24 AM
2002 Beetle Turbo Transmission/Overheating issue [email protected] VW water cooled 14 December 26th 04 12:48 PM
2002 Beetle Turbo Transmission/Overheating issue [email protected] VW water cooled 0 December 24th 04 08:26 AM