GEX engines

Old October 24th 12, 05:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default GEX engines

On Friday, September 1, 2000 2:00:46 AM UTC-4, Tim Wallace wrote:
> I'm gong to be buying a turnkey from somewhere (I don't have the time to
> rebuild my 'spare' and my primary engine is now beyond saving). I want a
> dual port, dual relief case, doghouse cooler, etc.
>
> I checked with John C., he doesn't have 'em. So, next I looked through Hot
> VWs (what a second...someone's at my door. What? You're from VWoA?! ;-)
> Every issue I see big color adds for GEX. What are some peoples' experience
> with GEX engines.
>
> Also, I'm tempted to buy one from BeetleMex, but don't know anything about
> them. When I called them, the phone took about 30 seconds to ring...I think
> it routed itself to Mexico, not Arizona like their address says! Anyway,
> BeetleMex's engines don't come with an air cleaner. I'm wondering "Why the
> heck not?" When I asked the guy on the phone, he couldn't give me a good
> answer.
>
> Does anyone have any other helpful suggestions? I want to order it soon!
> I'm dying to get back on the road.
>
> Tim Wallace

Just thought I would Add, GEX engine with less than 2200 miles on it locked up, oil level and coolant level good. engine was tight on installation but was told by GEX that was "normal" with their engines. They are not wanting to honor warranty because heat tab melted (positioned 3 inches from siezed crankshft!!) so no -duh! Installed by Master engine machinist and advanced level master ASE technician with over 30 years VW experience and a Zero Comback Record on HIS rebuilds, customer supplied this engine.
Old October 24th 12, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Max Welton

On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:53:23 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> Just thought I would Add, GEX engine with less than 2200 miles on it locked up, oil level and coolant level good. engine was tight on installation but was told by GEX that was "normal" with their engines. They are not wanting to honor warranty because heat tab melted (positioned 3 inches from siezed crankshft!!) so no -duh! Installed by Master engine machinist and advanced level master ASE technician with over 30 years VW experience and a Zero Comback Record on HIS rebuilds, customer supplied this engine.

I'm sorry ... "coolant level"?

Max
Old October 28th 12, 06:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
ChrisKlinger

Max Welton wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:53:23 AM UTC-6,

> wrote:
>> Just thought I would Add, GEX engine with less than 2200

miles on it
>> locked up, oil level and coolant level good. engine was tight

on
>> installation but was told by GEX that was "normal" with their

engines.
>> They are not wanting to honor warranty because heat tab

melted
>> (positioned 3 inches from siezed crankshft!!) so no -duh!

Installed by
>> Master engine machinist and advanced level master ASE

technician with
>> over 30 years VW experience and a Zero Comback Record on HIS

rebuilds,
>> customer supplied this engine.

> I'm sorry ... "coolant level"?
>
> Max

Helium baloon. Measures level of available cooling air
Old October 29th 12, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_9_]

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 18:53:23 +0200, > wrote:

> On Friday, September 1, 2000 2:00:46 AM UTC-4, Tim Wallace wrote:
>> I'm gong to be buying a turnkey from somewhere (I don't have the time to
>> rebuild my 'spare' and my primary engine is now beyond saving). I want
>> dual port, dual relief case, doghouse cooler, etc.
>>
>> I checked with John C., he doesn't have 'em. So, next I looked through
>> Hot
>> VWs (what a second...someone's at my door. What? You're from VWoA?!
>> ;-)
>> Every issue I see big color adds for GEX. What are some peoples'
>> experience
>> with GEX engines.
>>
>> Also, I'm tempted to buy one from BeetleMex, but don't know anything
>> about
>> them. When I called them, the phone took about 30 seconds to ring...I
>> think
>> it routed itself to Mexico, not Arizona like their address says!
>> Anyway,
>> BeetleMex's engines don't come with an air cleaner. I'm wondering "Why
>> the
>> heck not?" When I asked the guy on the phone, he couldn't give me a
>> good
>> answer.
>>
>> Does anyone have any other helpful suggestions? I want to order it
>> soon!
>> I'm dying to get back on the road.
>>
>> Tim Wallace

> Just thought I would Add, GEX engine with less than 2200 miles on it
> locked up, oil level and coolant level good. engine was tight on
> installation but was told by GEX that was "normal" with their engines.
> They are not wanting to honor warranty because heat tab melted
> (positioned 3 inches from siezed crankshft!!) so no -duh! Installed by
> Master engine machinist and advanced level master ASE technician with
> over 30 years VW experience and a Zero Comback Record on HIS rebuilds,
> customer supplied this engine.

Do not ever touch a GEX engine, there is a same style operator in Europe:
http://www.vege.nl/ .
Fancy videos, absolute ****e for quality, it is a clean, paint and
mismatch operation only.
They will use old parts where they claim to be using new. They show a lot
of micron metering/measuring, absolutely BULLOCKS!!

Stay away.

J.

Old October 29th 12, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_9_]

Old October 29th 12, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_9_]

Old October 29th 12, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_9_]

Old November 2nd 12, 06:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randall

On 10/29/2012 1:11 PM, P.J.Berg wrote:

> Do not ever touch a GEX engine, there is a same style operator in Europe:
> http://www.vege.nl/ .
> Fancy videos, absolute ****e for quality, it is a clean, paint and
> mismatch operation only.
> They will use old parts where they claim to be using new. They show a lot
> of micron metering/measuring, absolutely BULLOCKS!!
>
> Stay away.
>
> J.

A company named ATK had a good reputation for re-manufacturing VW
engines here in the US, at least they did two decades ago. I was
impressed with the steps ATK took in re-manufacturing their engines when
I read a brochure I picked up at their North American headquarters in
southern California. In 2007 VEGE bought ATK from the founding family.
Maybe VEGE doesn't care about their products like ATK did.

At any rate, ATK/VEGE doesn't sell many air cooled engines anymore. What
they offer is on page 264 of this catalog:
http://atkvege.com/content/images/ca...ngines2012.pdf

Randall
Old November 2nd 12, 11:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
KWW[_2_]

A fellow in my local VW group has a very extensive facility wherein he
rebuilds VW engines, machines and balances everything (even the rods),
and produces some amazing results. I am planning to have him rebuild
one of my cars' 40 HP motors as soon as I save up my pennies.

http://www.rd-eng.com/

KWW
'65 Beetle, The Inside Out Cow
'64 Beetle, The Blue Wave

Old December 11th 12, 07:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 6:29:04 PM UTC-4, Max Welton wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:53:23 AM UTC-6, wrote:
>
> > Just thought I would Add, GEX engine with less than 2200 miles on it locked up, oil level and coolant level good. engine was tight on installation but was told by GEX that was "normal" with their engines. They are not wanting to honor warranty because heat tab melted (positioned 3 inches from siezed crankshft!!) so no -duh! Installed by Master engine machinist and advanced level master ASE technician with over 30 years VW experience and a Zero Comback Record on HIS rebuilds, customer supplied this engine.

> I'm sorry ... "coolant level"?
>

> Max

Water box engine, 1.9 vanagon.....has coolant.

GEX LLBrown VW air cooled 10 November 12th 07 07:40 PM
car engines verses marine engines [email protected] Technology 2 June 21st 07 07:59 PM
why diesel engines are having hight torque comparing with the same size of Petrol Engines ?? [email protected] 4x4 16 January 24th 07 03:24 PM
T1 fuel injected engines vs T1 carbureted engines Jens VW air cooled 6 March 3rd 05 03:22 AM
GEX engines :) Jan Andersson VW air cooled 2 November 2nd 04 12:43 AM