Wobble in 2001 WJ Front

Old April 29th 13, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mindy

Default Wobble in 2001 WJ Front

getting a wobble in the steering wheel after running over say a rail road
track or similar bump in the road .. replaced the from damper and seemed to
help .. what else is loose that needs replacing ..
Thanks all for any info

Old April 29th 13, 11:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_4_]

Mindy wrote:
> getting a wobble in the steering wheel after running over say a rail
> road track or similar bump in the road .. replaced the from damper
> and seemed to help .. what else is loose that needs replacing ..
> Thanks all for any info

That's the beginning of what we call "Death Wobble" and believe me,
you will know why it's called that when it happens. :O

Bad shocks can contribute, but usually it's worn track-bar bushings.
The damper will take some of it away, but not for long.

http://revbeergoggles.com/control-arms/
Sorry, no after or during. Dang near killed myself doing these and
I'll pay someone next time.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W Stereo PPI/Audio Control - Bilstein HD Shocks

Old April 30th 13, 06:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

DougW wrote:

> http://revbeergoggles.com/control-arms/
> Sorry, no after or during. Dang near killed myself doing these and
> I'll pay someone next time.

I'll second that - Damn, those rubber bushings are hard to get out! I
finally used a torch to burn them clean. I even own a decent set of spring
compressors but the r&r of the old parts was a bear!

--
Will Honea

Old April 30th 13, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mindy

ok, thanks for the pin point repair .. any suggestions on the best bushings
to order .. I know I have a good jeep with many miles left on the engine and
tranny, so what good brand of bushings should I buy .. again thanks very
much for your help

Old April 30th 13, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_4_]

Mindy wrote:
> ok, thanks for the pin point repair .. any suggestions on the best
> bushings to order .. I know I have a good jeep with many miles left
> on the engine and tranny, so what good brand of bushings should I
> buy .. again thanks very much for your help

Check first to see if that is the problem. This is not a cheap
job.

You have two routes to go, neither are easy.

1) press/cut/burn out the old ones and press new ones in.
2) buy new links with pre-installed bushings.

Usually it's the lowers that take the most abuse but you
should do them all at the same time.

I used Energy Suspension bushings. But if I did it again
I would buy the lower links with factory bushings already
in them. Slightly more expensive but rather than messing
with four bushings it's just four bolts.

--
DougW

Old May 3rd 13, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ps56k[_3_]

"Mindy" > wrote in message
m...
> getting a wobble in the steering wheel after running over say a rail road
> track or similar bump in the road .. replaced the from damper and seemed
> to help .. what else is loose that needs replacing ..
> Thanks all for any info

Great... I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo -
and now have something else to add to the "watch list"

Old May 3rd 13, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_4_]

ps56k wrote:
> "Mindy" wrote ...
>> getting a wobble in the steering wheel after running over say a rail
>> road track or similar bump in the road .. replaced the from damper
>> and seemed to help .. what else is loose that needs replacing ..
>> Thanks all for any info

> Great... I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo -
> and now have something else to add to the "watch list"

Yep.

JEEP == Just Empty Every Pocket

Old May 4th 13, 02:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Larry[_21_]

On Apr 29, 3:27*pm, "Mindy" > wrote:
> getting a wobble in the steering wheel after running over say a rail road
> track or similar bump in the road .. replaced the from damper and seemed to
> help *.. what else is loose that needs replacing ..
> Thanks all for any info

How many miles on your 01 GC?

Larry
Old May 5th 13, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mindy

180,000 but runs like a top

"Larry" wrote in message

On Apr 29, 3:27 pm, "Mindy" > wrote:
> getting a wobble in the steering wheel after running over say a rail road
> track or similar bump in the road .. replaced the from damper and seemed
> help .. what else is loose that needs replacing ..
> Thanks all for any info

How many miles on your 01 GC?

Larry

99 Chrysler T&C wobble in front end Joe6PackAmerican Technology 7 January 2nd 09 01:28 PM
right front wobble WhiteOut Technology 3 September 24th 06 03:39 PM
E46 front end wobble sgfan3 BMW 9 November 24th 05 06:55 AM
2004TJ front end wobble [email protected] Jeep 43 July 2nd 05 07:26 PM
Front end wobble/clank [email protected] Technology 10 May 9th 05 04:26 PM