Pink Kate

Old April 17th 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default the reported bear attack

The last grizzly in Colorado was reportedly killed in self defense by a bow
hunter in 1976--wielding a hunting arrow like a spear. He got in some
trouble with the forest rangers, who just couldn't believe that he had
killed the bear, in the manner in which he described it.

Earle

"Lon" > wrote in message
. ..
> All sorts of folklore about the Montana silvertip grizzlies. One guy
> used to hunt them with a longbow. And one guy near Hungry Horse was
> killed by a grizzly [for some reason named Gordon Bill] after having
> emptied a 30-40 Kraig and a 9mm into the thing. Another named 3 Toe
> took out several humans before being caught. When I was growing up
> around Flathead Valley, about 1 or 2 folks per year would be killed by
> grizzlies somewhere within the Valley or mountains each year.
>
> The black bear were never really that much of a threat other than if you
> happened to scare one or surprise one at the wrong time.
>
> L.W.(Bill) Hughes III proclaimed:
> > Hi Earle,
> > I have a tape of the "Grizzly Man being eaten by a grizzly, while
> > tried to beat off the bear and was eaten herself. I was disappointed in
> > my 44: http://www.billhughes.com/44_22.jpg going through about half the
> > eleven inches of pine my .357 does. We use just a .22 between the eye of
> > thousand pound pigs and cattle, before slaughter:
> > http://www.billhughes.com/4Hdurock.jpg People like to use at least a
> > thirty ought six to explode the heart of a deer:
> > http://steve-badger.net/gunshtml/ammo.jpg
> > God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
> >

> > Earle Horton wrote:
> >
> >>I read in one of the early pioneer type accounts, that the best thing

was to
> >>play dead. Now, they say that a 44 magnum will do the job, if you know
> >>where to aim it. I've never fired one, but friends in Virginia took out

> >>good sized oak tree once, with a 44 magnum pistol. I saw a young black

bear
> >>on the trail to Glacier Peak once. When he saw me, he took off--up

hill.

Old April 17th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

So you sneak up on Mr. Grizzly, close enough to place the muzzle of a 22
right between his eyes, then do him in with one shot? Reminds me of a
story, about mice debating the best way to put a bell on a cat. I don't
claim to be a big game hunter, but with my Physics degree I understand that
stopping a big animal is more about energy transfer, than it is about
penetration. The 44 would seem to be a better choice in that regard, than
the 357. The thirty ought six is a formidable piece of ammunition, but
where do you find a thirty ought six pistol? If you work in grizzly
country, but are not necessarily hunting them, then a pistol is bound to be
more convenient, than a rifle.

Of people who have been there, that I have talked to, most recommended the
44, with some recommending the 357. Bathing can be a problem, with the
bear, who is after all lazy, waiting on the bank, next to the backpack with
the 44 in it, while Mr. Surveyor is standing naked in the middle of a
near-freezing Alaska river.

My coworkers in Virginia hunted black bear with shotgun slugs, but they
didn't always do the job. One told me he was sure he had exterminated a
young black bear, so he started carrying it back to the pickup, whereupon
Mr. Bruin commenced to complain. I'm told that it is a strange feeling,
having a wounded bear come to life on your back.

Earle

Old April 17th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Earle Horton" > wrote
: My coworkers in Virginia hunted black bear with shotgun slugs, but they
: didn't always do the job. One told me he was sure he had exterminated a
: young black bear, so he started carrying it back to the pickup, whereupon
: Mr. Bruin commenced to complain. I'm told that it is a strange feeling,
: having a wounded bear come to life on your back.
:
: Earle
:

Did he mention if he needed a change of pants or not?
That would be a really bad feeling I think.

Yet another good reason to field dress your game I guess.

Kate

Old April 17th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Earle,
The guy must have been built like my Governor, Arnie. Next time
I'll bet he'll quarter it, like a deer.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old April 17th 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

i would be hesitant to depend upon any handgun for bear protection, to
include the .500 due to its limited capacity. it would be awful tough to
remain calm enough to aim effectively at a charging bear. if i was going to
limit myself to handgun protection it would have to be a glock 20 (16 rounds
of 10mm in a semi-auto). grizzly bear interaction is quite common,
especially up around the breaks and the blackfeet reservation/glacier. i
had one stand up less than 50 yards away from me.....appeared out of nowhere
and didnt seem to like that i was ****ing on his tree (see
http://utilityoffroad.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1652 half way down the
page for his picture).

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com

Old April 17th 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Sandman,
I'd like something a littler stronger, like with a metal piercing
bullet, like are easily bought for a .357, which unfortunately are not
sold for my 44.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old April 17th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Nathan W. Collier" > wrote in message
> i would be hesitant to depend upon any handgun for bear protection, to
> include the .500 due to its limited capacity. it would be awful tough to
> remain calm enough to aim effectively at a charging bear. if i was going

> limit myself to handgun protection it would have to be a glock 20 (16

rounds
> of 10mm in a semi-auto).

Although I usually carry a .45 (11 rounds), if I was needed a handgun with a
large capacity magazine, I would probably choose my TEC-9 with the 50-round
mags... A 9mm is not the best round, but since I have 4 of the mags, I
figure 200 rounds of 9mm might be enough to annoy the bear a bit and
convince him to go elsewhere... <grin>

Of course, the real question is whether I can annoy him enough before he
seriously puts a crimp in my day...

Old April 17th 06, 07:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Earle Horton" > wrote in message
om...
> So you sneak up on Mr. Grizzly, close enough to place the muzzle of a 22
> right between his eyes, then do him in with one shot?

I've had to put down cattle before and have used a .22LR... Cattle have
pretty damn thick skulls, but it you do it right, you'll get a no reflex
kill... Perhaps the .22 bounces around inside the skull after entering it?
The problem with this technique on a bear is that when you are most likely
to need to use the firearm on the bear, he is not just sitting there letting
you get a perfect shot... If he's charging at you, it's quite possible that
you'll end up aiming at center of mass... Waiting for him to rear up and
open his mouth so that you can shoot through the roof of his mouth is
probably not exactly the most survival oriented behavior that you could
choose...

Old April 17th 06, 07:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" > wrote in message
> Hi Sandman,
> I'd like something a littler stronger, like with a metal piercing
> bullet, like are easily bought for a .357, which unfortunately are not
> sold for my 44.

the most critical aspect to stopping anything involves depositing energy.
metal piercing doesnt expand, therefore it wont deposit energy and will
instead blow right through an animal without upsetting much (in comparison
to a soft or hollow point). dont be mislead.....the .357 magnum is an
awesome man stopper but it would be little more than an annoyance to a
charging grizzly bear. .44 is minimum and even then its an absolute last
resort.

i met a man last year that had his scalp ripped off by a grizzly bear that
attacked him while he was gutting an elk that he had just shot. grizzlys
commonly stalk elk hunters in in certain parts of montana, but they usually
wait and act as scavengers to eat what the hunter leaves after gutting it.
in this case the grizzly attacked the hunter who emptied a .41 magnum at
point blank range before hobbling away while holding the top of his head in
place.

Old April 17th 06, 07:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Grumman-581" > wrote in message
> Although I usually carry a .45 (11 rounds), if I was needed a handgun with
> large capacity magazine

if youre gonna carry a .45, get an aftermarket barrel (if one is available
for your particular weapon) to enable you to shoot .45 super (.45 magnum,
auto). it gives you true .44 magnum performance in a .45 automatic. an hk
usp .45 is capable of handling .45 super out of the box with no other
modifications, although hk recommends replacing the buffer spring after
every 3000 rounds of .45 super.

> I would probably choose my TEC-9 with the 50-round
> mags... A 9mm is not the best round, but since I have 4 of the mags, I
> figure 200 rounds of 9mm might be enough to annoy the bear a bit and
> convince him to go elsewhere... <grin>

you better hope he falls in the first 50.....there wont be time to reload.
:-)