I need to get some opinions on the value of my 1987 Volkswagen Jetta! Help!

Old December 5th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
vanessa_vw

Default I need to get some opinions on the value of my 1987 Volkswagen Jetta! Help!

Okay, here is my dilemma:

I got rear-ended in my 1987 Wolfsburg Edition Jetta. The kid smashed the
back end good, and there is no way it can be repaired (being a unibody design
and all).

I bought the car for $1,850.00, plus an extra $400.00 for the stereo system
in it--a total of $2,250.00.

Now, the insurance company is trying to say this Jetta is only worth $1,300.

Here are the specs on the Jetta:

- 179,000 miles.

- paint like new, body in perfect condition

- Momo rims that match the car

- leather seats, a little cracked, but for the most part perfectly clean.

- interior clean, no tears or rips

- 5 speed manual transmission

- new tires

- new clutch cable and linkage

- original German license plate

- new exhaust and muffler

- everything in perfect working order, one belt a little corroded, but
otherwise no engine trauma.

- clean engine compartment

It looks brand new, the guy who owned it before me kept it in really good
condition.

I couldn't believe how nice it looked when I got it. I put quite a few miles
on it, (when I bought it, it had 172,000 miles on it).

In any case, I don't think what they're trying to offer me for the car is
legitimate.

And, any way I can screw an insurance company, I will, so help me out guys!

Thanks.

-Vanessa

Old December 5th 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Papa

Is it drivable? All the goodies in the world won't help your bottom line if
it is not. Also if the body is that bad it won't be worth much either. Have
you talked to a body shop? It is amazing how well they can sometimes restore
a really damaged body.

Anyway, a 1987 vehicle with, as you said, an unrepairable rear end will not
be worth much. I've seen vehicles of that vintage that are drivable and
without dings go for $600 or less.

Perhaps you can part it out and net more cash that way. Your insurance
company is being generous.

Good luck.

Old December 5th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Sorry for your loss Vanessa! I hope you are OK.
Well if you just bought it show the bill of sale to the insurance company.
Take out that stereo system, or show the receipt to the insurance company
too.
Are you renting a vehicle that the insurance co is paying for?
Do you have the 1987 Jetta in storage where there are charges per day?
How does your neck and back feel? Are you feeling OK or having some
stiffness?

Try to find another just like it and have the insurance company ship it to
you and install the wheels and stereo system.

JMHO
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)
http://vwdoc1.tripod.com/

Old December 5th 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, vanessa_vw wrote:

>I got rear-ended in my 1987 Wolfsburg Edition Jetta. The kid smashed the
>back end good, and there is no way it can be repaired (being a unibody design
>and all).
>
>I bought the car for $1,850.00, plus an extra $400.00 for the stereo system
>in it--a total of $2,250.00.
>
>Now, the insurance company is trying to say this Jetta is only worth $1,300.
>
>Here are the specs on the Jetta:

If you are willing to sue the kid (and in effect his insurance
company), perhaps you could get more money. If you are not willing
to sue, ....
Old December 5th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tom's VR6

Try http://www.edmunds.com/?tid=edmonds.1.1.1.1.1.*
Old December 5th 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
vanessa_vw

Tom's VR6 wrote:

>If you are willing to sue the kid (and in effect his insurance
>company), perhaps you could get more money. If you are not willing
>to sue, ....

I am trying to work things out with the insurance company, but they will not
believe me that the Jetta is worth more.

I am looking up ads on Craigslist.org right now, and I have found a few, but
they are not the same as my car, and far less in value, and I do not want to
show these ads to the insurance company, because they will see it as
confirming what they said, and that my Jetta is worth less.

I am hurt..and yes, I feel like ****. I am suing them for liability of
injuries and such, however, I need a car now, and they are not porviding me
with one. They won't even offer me a legitimate value for my little Jetta,
which I truly miss and loved a lot.

I don't feel like myself without my Jetta. *tear*

Old December 5th 06, 06:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
vanessa_vw

No, I am not looking for the value of the car AFTER the accident. I am
looking for the value with it being in good condition.

And it's not my insurance company who is being "generous" it is the kid who
hit me's insurance company...and my car is worth more.

I know it's ruined now, but it was worth more when it was new...BEFORE he hit
me. Hence me wanting to know the value. I'm not trying to get screwed here.

Plus, I can't find another Jetta just like mine for the price they're
offering me. So in a sense, i could ask them to find on JUST like it, to a
tee, then see if they can comply.

I doubt it, though.

Old December 5th 06, 11:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 04:29:02 GMT, "vanessa_vw" <u29947@uwe> wrote:
It's the agents job to close your case as cost effectively as possible
for the insurance company. Your cashing any check which they may
send to you would settle the case for them as to the value of your
car loss. I would VOID any check you feel is less than satisfactory
and promptly return it to the agent. Vanessa , you don't expect
2,250.00 do you? You drove the jetta for 7,000 miles, got that much
worth out of it . Towing fees from the accident site / storage fees /
(for the place it was towed to) and rental temp replacement can be
asked for too. Medical claims are another bag of worms.

Old December 5th 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

vanessa_vw wrote:
> Okay, here is my dilemma:

Vanessa:

In the 38 years I have been driving, three vehicles have been
"totaled". So far, all by the "other guy". That being written, each of
the three also happened to be high-mileage (none under 150,000 miles)
and all more than 10 years old. In each case, the Insurance Company
attempted to give me the so-called "book value". My approach,
successful, in each case was to respond as follows:

I will find a replacement vehicle that is a reasonable approximation to
the one that is lost. You will pay for that vehicle. Or, you will find
such a vehicle and pay for it. If that vehicle happens to cost less
than your number, then you were right in your evaluation. If it costs
more, then you were wrong. Either way I am made whole... which is the
point after all.

If you are going through (or eventually will go through) the other
guy's insurance, add the codicil: "And when I have my replacement
vehicle, THEN I will sign the release, not before."

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Old December 5th 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

did you ask that ins. co. to find you a similar vehicle?

what is your location? zipcode or city will do!
Let us help, we might be able to pull up some ads with prices on similar
Jettas.
Here is a new VW-specific classified site.
http://www.vwtraderonline.com/

I once helped someone looking to replace their wrecked Jag. She got a much
better Jag than hers was before the accident and saved the ins co about $4K
(valued at $18K, but only cost $14K). Oh and the owner selling got his
asking price too. WIN-WIN-WIN situation, except for the idiot that hit the
Jag.

So being realistic..............what would make you happy..........vehicle
wise? <g>
The exact same Jetta might not be easily found, but maybe a newer one like
up to 1992,or maybe a different vehicle like a Cabriolet could satisfy you!
BTW AFAIK I have never seen a 1993 Jetta. ODD!

my $0.02
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)