DRLs again

Old August 4th 05, 05:21 PM

Default DRLs again

In trying to find some documented data about DRL use, I went to the US
government websites.
This should avoid, to some extent, the Scandinavian opinion of these
systems.

You may find some BLOG type posts from both sides of the question.

The following link should take you to a report which I would have to assume
is unbiased. If you want to look at it, you will probably have to cut the
address
and paste it into your browser.

www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/NCSA/Rpts/2004/809-760/pages/TRD.html

Old August 4th 05, 06:32 PM

-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/NCSA/Rpts/2004/809-760/pages/TRD.html

> And it appears to reach no conclusion. One statistical technique says
> that DRL's make a difference, and another says that DRL's have a
> negative impact...actually causing accidents.
>
> That study could be the material for the statisticians version of the
> old Abbott and Costello routine: Who's on First.

There has to be an answer. Just about everything in the physical world
has one.

We all have emotional opinions, but we need data.

Old August 4th 05, 08:08 PM

A British researcher (I believe he is a Brit, at any rate) has published a
separate research paper
(Ref Berkeley) where he says the overall positive contribution is 3.2%.

If true, that could be a pretty substantial savings in life and property.

Transportation Department, NHTSA, etc seem unready to take a strong and
clear stand.

Old August 4th 05, 09:55 PM

> wrote:
>

> my insurance company doesn't think it's worth anything.
> DRL's in Canada became mandatory in 1990.
> Search for cars that are similar from 89-90-91 and I find the rates are
> the same...

www.mpi.mb.ca

I've heard this complaint about insurance companies lack of appreciation for
DRL's.
That they dont give discounts does not necessarily mean anything. They
avoid
discounts when they can, IMHO, and avoid paying claims if at all possible.

Then again, this is Texas, the worst state in the union where insurance is
concerned.

Old August 5th 05, 01:42 AM
James C. Reeves

"John S." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> wrote:
>> -nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/NCSA/Rpts/2004/809-760/pages/TRD.html
>> >
>> > And it appears to reach no conclusion. One statistical technique says
>> > that DRL's make a difference, and another says that DRL's have a
>> > negative impact...actually causing accidents.
>> >
>> > That study could be the material for the statisticians version of the
>> > old Abbott and Costello routine: Who's on First.

>> There has to be an answer. Just about everything in the physical world
>> has one.
>>
>> We all have emotional opinions, but we need data.

> Rereading it more carefully again they say the results from the second
> test should be discounted because they sometimes produce invalid
> results. So apparently DRLs do have a net positive benefit by reducing
> accidents according to this study.

....and 1997 HLDI study, 8% increase in accidents. Insurance "loss data"
statistics indicate no statistical difference one way or the other. The
Perot & Prowler reports have some interesting negative side data to them as
well. Also the European motorcyclist union have some very negative
statistics on what DRLs on automobiles are doing to death rates of their
group. The Motorist Association of America (I think it's called) has
registered against them. The only real conclusion that can come from almost
10 years of data from many studies and reports is that the conclusions are
all over the map in both directions...so inconclusive. A possible benefit
for some at the potential expense of others. A moral dilemma, I would say.
Who decides which group gets the benefit and which group gets the
"dis-benefit"?

Old August 5th 05, 02:45 PM
ray

wrote:

>>my insurance company doesn't think it's worth anything.
>>DRL's in Canada became mandatory in 1990.
>>Search for cars that are similar from 89-90-91 and I find the rates are
>>the same...

www.mpi.mb.ca

> I've heard this complaint about insurance companies lack of appreciation for
> DRL's.
> That they dont give discounts does not necessarily mean anything. They
> avoid
> discounts when they can, IMHO, and avoid paying claims if at all possible.
>
> Then again, this is Texas, the worst state in the union where insurance is
> concerned.

Ok, but in Canada ALL cars had to have DRLs starting in 1990. If they
won't give a discount for DRL equipped cars, you think they'd charge
MORE for non-DRL equipped ones? Nope. Same price for 89-90-91. The
current "fad" that they're offering "discounts" for is immobilizers.
Now they're offering to pay for 1/2 the install and give you about $30
per year. (when I bought my TA in 2001 it was $20 per year discount for
an immobilizer.)

So, no discount for DRL cars, but no surcharge either for NON-DRL
equipped cars plus the phone conversations with mpi has convinced me
that as far as insurance companies are concerned, DRLs mean squat.

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
Disable DRL'S on 2002 S-10 Pete Technology 41 May 24th 05 04:19 AM
Disable DRL'S on 2002 S-10 Daniel J. Stern Driving 3 May 24th 05 04:19 AM
Why no rear lights with DRLs? Don Stauffer Technology 26 April 26th 05 04:16 AM
Chevy Tahoe DRls? BE Driving 0 March 28th 05 03:45 PM