Engine oil replacement in-between recommended maintenance services?

Old October 20th 05, 03:30 PM
Jerzy

Default Engine oil replacement in-between recommended maintenance services?

I own Civic LX 2005. According to the Honda service book the first
service is after 10k miles or 1 year and the subsequent service is
after 20k miles or 1 year. In both cases the engine oil is replaced.
Today, I had my first car maintenance (~9500k miles) and the oil was
replaced (first time), tires rotated etc. However, they want me to come
back to change oil again after 12500k miles, which is way before the
second maintenance is due. Is that normal? According to the service
book the next oil replacement is not neeed until 20k miles or 1 year
whichever comes first. I'm confused. Thanks.

Old October 20th 05, 03:38 PM
Jerzy

I forgot to add that the invoice states that a 11,250 mile service was
performed and the next one is scheduled at 15,000 miles. These
schedules are nowhere in the Honda's service book.

Old October 20th 05, 09:15 PM
zonie

Default Engine oil replacement in-between recommended maintenance se

I personally likr to use the 6 mo. 6000 mile oil change interval. I think
10000 is too long but also think you should never change under 5000 miles.
This has always worked for me. Scott

Old October 20th 05, 10:57 PM
Elle

The dealer will do more maintenance than necessary if you let them. They're
trying to make money off you. The most famous overkill maintenance item is
to tell the customer that oil must/should be changed every 3000 miles.

Not so. Trust your manual.

On the other hand, unless your car is using synthetic oil, 10k miles is on
the high side. So, is synthetic oil used in your car's engine?

"Jerzy" > wrote

Old October 20th 05, 11:37 PM

Jerzy > wrote:
> I own Civic LX 2005. According to the Honda service book the first
> service is after 10k miles or 1 year and the subsequent service is
> after 20k miles or 1 year. In both cases the engine oil is replaced.

My 2003 Civic also has a 10,000 change interval.
At 8500 miles, the oil is still translucent, and not down enough to add
any. I think 10,000 miles is a reasonable interval for the car.
I have 55,000 on it now, with 10,000 mile oil changes.

> Today, I had my first car maintenance (~9500k miles) and the oil was
> replaced (first time), tires rotated etc. However, they want me to come
> back to change oil again after 12500k miles, which is way before the

My Honda dealer doesn't recommend early service. I do get email reminders
that are very close to accurate mileage, reminding me that it's time to
come in soon, at 10,000 mile intervals.

--
---

Old October 21st 05, 01:57 AM
SoCalMike

Jerzy wrote:
> I own Civic LX 2005. According to the Honda service book the first
> service is after 10k miles or 1 year and the subsequent service is
> after 20k miles or 1 year. In both cases the engine oil is replaced.
> Today, I had my first car maintenance (~9500k miles) and the oil was
> replaced (first time), tires rotated etc. However, they want me to come
> back to change oil again after 12500k miles, which is way before the
> second maintenance is due. Is that normal? According to the service
> book the next oil replacement is not neeed until 20k miles or 1 year
> whichever comes first. I'm confused. Thanks.

follow the book. the dealer would love for you to come back *every day*
for an oil change.

as a side note... its 10k between changes now? damn. my 98 has the 7500
mile changes. id probably wanna go with synthetic if i was going to do
10k oil changes
Old October 21st 05, 01:57 AM
SoCalMike

Jerzy wrote:
> I forgot to add that the invoice states that a 11,250 mile service was
> performed and the next one is scheduled at 15,000 miles. These
> schedules are nowhere in the Honda's service book.

i would ONLY follow the book, and consider a different dealer. one that
doesnt make **** up to try to confuse you.
Old October 21st 05, 05:08 PM
Jerzy

>On the other hand, unless your car is using synthetic oil, 10k miles is on
>the high side. So, is synthetic oil used in your car's engine?

I'm not sure what kind of oil. They could use a regular this time and
perhaps that's why they want me to come back after 2,500 miles.

Old October 21st 05, 05:12 PM
Jerzy

OK, thanks to all for trying to clear this out. I was advised by
someone to go by what dealer says since the dealership is responsible
for the car. It may cost me more but on the other hand I have an extra
insurance. Next time I will ask them why they didn't follow the book.
I also forgot to mention that I drive a lot, around 3k miles a month.