'93 GC Fog Lamp Wiring

Old May 20th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default '93 GC Fog Lamp Wiring

I have been trying to decipher the fog lamp wiring diagram for my '93
Grand Cherokee Limited. It looks like there is a relay in the
circuit, but on the Front End Lighting page where they show the lamps,
It shows (With Baja Group.) I have looked through all the brochures I
have on the '93 GC and I don't see any Baja Group as an option. Maybe
it was one of those dealer installed things.

I have two questions. Do all '93 Grand Cherokee Limiteds use a relay
for the factory fog lamps, and does anyone know how much current the
relay can handle? I am assuming it was probably designed for two,
55-watt lamps. The Baja Group thing leads me to believe it might even
handle 100-watt lamps.

Dick
Old May 20th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Can you turn on the fog lamps and hear it clicking?

Earle

Old May 20th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The relay will be inside the Power Distribution Box next to your
battery, and it's position listed on the inside cover. If converting to
off road lights, you need to bend over one of the tongues to be able use
your high beams, too.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 20th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I can hear a relay clicking, but don't know what kind of current it is
capable of handling.

On Fri, 19 May 2006 17:27:30 -0600, "Earle Horton"
> wrote:

>Can you turn on the fog lamps and hear it clicking?
>
>Earle

.. .

Old May 20th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Dick did pass the time by typing:
> I have been trying to decipher the fog lamp wiring diagram for my '93
> Grand Cherokee Limited. It looks like there is a relay in the
> circuit, but on the Front End Lighting page where they show the lamps,
> It shows (With Baja Group.) I have looked through all the brochures I
> have on the '93 GC and I don't see any Baja Group as an option. Maybe
> it was one of those dealer installed things.
>
> I have two questions. Do all '93 Grand Cherokee Limiteds use a relay
> for the factory fog lamps, and does anyone know how much current the
> relay can handle? I am assuming it was probably designed for two,
> 55-watt lamps. The Baja Group thing leads me to believe it might even
> handle 100-watt lamps.

All ZJ's use a relay.

The relay is in the relay center behind the battery.
http://revbeergoggles.com/Fixes/diag...ml#enginefuses

Fogs are a dealer installed option (or could be) Basically it was
a replacement switch inside, a relay, and a harness that extended
the existing wiring harness (just behind the grill) to the new fog
lamps. (plus some ugly cutting of the front bumper)

I built my own with projector fogs (55W) using the same harness
and a custom switch fit into the center console.
http://revbeergoggles.com/foglight/ (crappy page)
You can just see the switch at the top of this picture.
http://revbeergoggles.com/fire-extinguisher.jpg
It has a built-in 12V led light (radio shack part). I wired the
light to be on with the fogs and dimmed with the dash lights.

Somewhere I have a schematic.. That was pre webby days.
I'll keep looking.

As for how much current, that depends on the wire gauge and length.
It was made for 2 55W lamps but is not properly sized for 2x100w and
will burn the wires. The existing wire is just 20ga, just enough
(barely enough) for the factory fogs.

To run two 100W lamps you would put in two more relays. Each for 100W
and key those off the existing relay.

Little wire cheat sheet. Always go with a smaller gauge (larger wire)
if your close to the number... so for 3-5ft you would be fine with 16
Also if you do this remember to properly fuse the supply. 15-20A depending
on startup current. Fuse goes as close to the battery as possible.

12V
Amps Watts 3' 5' 7' 10' 15' 20' 25'
50 300 16 14 12 12 10 10 8
100 600 12 12 10 10 6 6 4
150 900 10 10 8 8 4 4 2
200 1200 10 8 8 6 4 4 2

--
DougW

Old May 20th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On Fri, 19 May 2006 20:19:51 -0500, "DougW"
> wrote:

>Dick did pass the time by typing:
>> I have been trying to decipher the fog lamp wiring diagram for my '93
>> Grand Cherokee Limited. It looks like there is a relay in the
>> circuit, but on the Front End Lighting page where they show the lamps,
>> It shows (With Baja Group.) I have looked through all the brochures I
>> have on the '93 GC and I don't see any Baja Group as an option. Maybe
>> it was one of those dealer installed things.
>>
>> I have two questions. Do all '93 Grand Cherokee Limiteds use a relay
>> for the factory fog lamps, and does anyone know how much current the
>> relay can handle? I am assuming it was probably designed for two,
>> 55-watt lamps. The Baja Group thing leads me to believe it might even
>> handle 100-watt lamps.

>All ZJ's use a relay.
>
>The relay is in the relay center behind the battery.
>http://revbeergoggles.com/Fixes/diag...ml#enginefuses
>
>Fogs are a dealer installed option (or could be) Basically it was
>a replacement switch inside, a relay, and a harness that extended
>the existing wiring harness (just behind the grill) to the new fog
>lamps. (plus some ugly cutting of the front bumper)
>
>I built my own with projector fogs (55W) using the same harness
>and a custom switch fit into the center console.
>http://revbeergoggles.com/foglight/ (crappy page)
>You can just see the switch at the top of this picture.
>http://revbeergoggles.com/fire-extinguisher.jpg
>It has a built-in 12V led light (radio shack part). I wired the
>light to be on with the fogs and dimmed with the dash lights.
>
>Somewhere I have a schematic.. That was pre webby days.
>I'll keep looking.
>

>As for how much current, that depends on the wire gauge and length.
>It was made for 2 55W lamps but is not properly sized for 2x100w and
>will burn the wires. The existing wire is just 20ga, just enough
>(barely enough) for the factory fogs.
>
>To run two 100W lamps you would put in two more relays. Each for 100W
>and key those off the existing relay.

Thanks Doug and Bill. Today at the carwash, they cleverly broke one
of the lenses on a factory fog lamp. On the '93, they sit on top of
the bumper. This is the second lamp broken by a carwash. I went to
the Jeep dealer, and they wanted $139.45 for ONE lamp. They don't
sell just the lens for that model. Anyway, the carwash dealer said he
would pay for a new one. When I saw the price, I went to an auto
parts store and bought a pair of Hella driving lamps for half the cost
of the single Jeep replacement lamp. I figured the carwash mgr would
really balk at the $139.45. He probably thought $30 or so, although I
imagine I am not the first he has had to replace. The Hella's are
much nicer lamps than the factory units, so I am happy with the
outcome. They are 55-watt, so even though they come with a relay, I
assume I can just replace them using the stock Jeep wiring that
includes its own relay.

A new Sony radio for the JGC came today too. Looks like this weekend
won't lack for things to do. :-)

Dick
Old May 20th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

DougW did pass the time by typing:

Keep in mind the way the ZJ fogs work is
power is applied to the relay only when the
low beams are on. That's for legal reasons.

I found the schematic but not my notes.

Tapped L35(20 Brown/Red) and switched to ground to turn on
the fogs (still locked to low beam only)

To light the LED I pulled off L416(Violet/Orange) from the
shift light, fed it through a resistor, a diode (to limit
current direction) and then through the LED. If the LED
is not rated for 12V you need a current limiting resistor.
Choose one larger than suggested since you don't want a blinding
light.

scuse the ASCII art.

L35(20 Br/Rd)>------------------------------.

L416(Vt/Or)>--./\/\/`----|>|-------|>-------|
resistor diode LED \ switch

ground

There is supposedly a spot in the dash for a fog lamp indicator.
I didn't want to tear into the dash just for another idiot light.

Some pics. Since the resistor was heat shrinked I can't remember
what I used.

http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/fog1.jpg
http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/fog2.jpg
http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/fog3.jpg

--
DougW

Old May 20th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Dick did pass the time by typing:

> Thanks Doug and Bill. Today at the carwash, they cleverly broke one
> of the lenses on a factory fog lamp. On the '93, they sit on top of
> the bumper. This is the second lamp broken by a carwash. I went to
> the Jeep dealer, and they wanted $139.45 for ONE lamp.

Yep.. 139 for a real piece of crap fog lamp is about right. ;]
That (and the cutting of the bumper) was behind the decision to do my own.

But if you want $$$$ look at the rear plastic lamps. I caught one
starting to seperate and fixed it with epoxy before water could get
in and corrode the reflecty material.

--
DougW

Old May 20th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

It's no doubt where Bill says it is, and it will have a part number or maybe
a rating printed on it.

Earle

Old May 20th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Thanks Doug.

Dick

On Fri, 19 May 2006 21:17:10 -0500, "DougW"