Chev Lumina (190K miles) with possible blown seal

Old November 11th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
scgtking

Default Chev Lumina (190K miles) with possible blown seal

Hello,

I may have been driving my old Chev Lumina car (1997, 3.1L eng.) a
little hard on the gas pedal lately and now there is a pronounced leak
from the engine of light brown coolant around the accessory drive belt
shaft. The leak slows down to a slow drip when parked but after
driving it, there is quite a lot of flow. My radiator overflow tank
is virtually empty and other fluid levels remain topped up. Also the
area around the water pump (which I changed around 2 years ago), is
dry. It is Sunday and no mechanic is open, and I need to know if this
car is worth keeping any more.

If the main head gasket or some other major seal needs replacement, I
suppose that will push the repair bill over what the car is worth.
Any opinions if this analysis is correct? Anything else I can check
myself this evening?

Old November 12th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Refinish King

It's most likely the brass adapter that bolts to the top of the pump
housing,

which the heater and bypass hose go onto.

RK
ups.com...

Old November 12th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
scgtking

Thank you for the suggestion, but I had it looked at this morning by a
mechanic and the worst fears have come true. After applying pressure
to the coolant system at the radiator cap, fluid gushed out of some
leak, most likely a blown head gasket (or cracked block?) on the
engine right above where the accessory drive shaft comes out.

A shame as I gambled on this happening a lot later. Last spring I let
another place rebuild the transmission. Anyway life goes on, and I am
car-free for a while. It's actually a little liberating.