R&R cost, 2004 Audi TT timing belt replacement?

Old November 24th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Josh[_5_]

Default R&R cost, 2004 Audi TT timing belt replacement?

I have a friend with a 2004 Audit TT, I believe it has the 1.8L DOHC turbo; I'm not sure if it's a "Quattro" or not. Recently the car just died on the interstate; RPMs dropped to zero even though the car was in gear and the clutch was engaged. The car will turn over but won't start.

I'm thinking timing belt.

Can anyone give me an idea of the estimated hours of labor, and cost of parts, for this repair? And if it's an interference engine?

Thanks in advance,
Josh
Old November 24th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Josh[_5_]

Josh wrote:
> I have a friend with a 2004 Audit TT, I believe it has the 1.8L DOHC
> turbo; I'm not sure if it's a "Quattro" or not. Recently the car just
> died on the interstate; RPMs dropped to zero even though the car was in
> gear and the clutch was engaged. The car will turn over but won't start.
>
> I'm thinking timing belt.
>
> Can anyone give me an idea of the estimated hours of labor, and cost of
> parts, for this repair? And if it's an interference engine?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Josh

Sorry to reply to my own post; I neglected to indicate the mileage is about 80k.
Thanks,
Josh
Old November 24th 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

Josh wrote:
> I have a friend with a 2004 Audit TT, I believe it has the 1.8L DOHC
> turbo; I'm not sure if it's a "Quattro" or not. Recently the car just
> died on the interstate; RPMs dropped to zero even though the car was in
> gear and the clutch was engaged. The car will turn over but won't start.
>
> I'm thinking timing belt.
>
> Can anyone give me an idea of the estimated hours of labor, and cost of
> parts, for this repair? And if it's an interference engine?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Josh

Find out what the problem is first. There are more than one item that
can cause it to die. Does it have fuel pressure, Spark? Compression?
Check those first.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Old November 24th 07, 12:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Josh[_5_]

Steve W. wrote:
> Josh wrote:
>> I have a friend with a 2004 Audit TT, I believe it has the 1.8L DOHC
>> turbo; I'm not sure if it's a "Quattro" or not. Recently the car just
>> died on the interstate; RPMs dropped to zero even though the car was
>> in gear and the clutch was engaged. The car will turn over but won't
>> start.
>>
>> I'm thinking timing belt.
>>
>> Can anyone give me an idea of the estimated hours of labor, and cost
>> of parts, for this repair? And if it's an interference engine?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Josh

> Find out what the problem is first. There are more than one item that
> can cause it to die. Does it have fuel pressure, Spark? Compression?
> Check those first.

How would any of these cause RPMs to drop to zero while the car was rolling, even though the engine was still engaged with the drivetrain?

Thanks,
Josh
Old November 24th 07, 01:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

Josh wrote:

> Steve W. wrote:
> > Josh wrote:
> >> I have a friend with a 2004 Audit TT, I believe it has the 1.8L DOHC
> >> turbo; I'm not sure if it's a "Quattro" or not. Recently the car just
> >> died on the interstate; RPMs dropped to zero even though the car was
> >> in gear and the clutch was engaged. The car will turn over but won't
> >> start.
> >>
> >> I'm thinking timing belt.
> >>
> >> Can anyone give me an idea of the estimated hours of labor, and cost
> >> of parts, for this repair? And if it's an interference engine?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >> Josh

> > Find out what the problem is first. There are more than one item that
> > can cause it to die. Does it have fuel pressure, Spark? Compression?
> > Check those first.
> >

> How would any of these cause RPMs to drop to zero while the car was rolling, even though the engine was still engaged with the drivetrain?

Yes, your right checking the timing belt first would probably make the
most sense. If it's the timing belt than you are probably talking big
bucks since there may be extensive engine damage.
Engine RPM didn't drop to zero unless the clutch is also completely gone.
What drop to zero is the tach reading. That would certainly rule out fuel
and compression as the problem, but does not necessarily rule out an
electrical problem.

-jim

Old November 24th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

Josh wrote:
> Steve W. wrote:
>> Josh wrote:
>>> I have a friend with a 2004 Audit TT, I believe it has the 1.8L DOHC
>>> turbo; I'm not sure if it's a "Quattro" or not. Recently the car
>>> just died on the interstate; RPMs dropped to zero even though the car
>>> was in gear and the clutch was engaged. The car will turn over but
>>> won't start.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking timing belt.
>>>
>>> Can anyone give me an idea of the estimated hours of labor, and cost
>>> of parts, for this repair? And if it's an interference engine?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Josh

>> Find out what the problem is first. There are more than one item that
>> can cause it to die. Does it have fuel pressure, Spark? Compression?
>> Check those first.
>>

> How would any of these cause RPMs to drop to zero while the car was
> rolling, even though the engine was still engaged with the drivetrain?
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

Did the car roll to a stop OR slide to a stop?

No fuel = The engine shuts down, and won't restart. Electric pump
supplies the fuel. Blown fuse or bad pump shuts the engine down. Just
like turning off the key. Tach drops to zero.

No spark = Engine control unit or coil failure. Engine will still crank
but not fire. Tach signal also comes from the ECU using the same sensor
it uses to trigger the spark.

Compression = Test it and discover if it has a problem. If you find a
bad cylinder (or more) then it is possible the engine ate a valve, or
blew a rod or even snapped the crankshaft. All of which stop the engine.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Old November 25th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Refinish King

Maybe the cam position sensor drives the tach?

Maybe an electronic issue is the problem, and not the belt?

Diagnosis by posting is not an exact science, some can only relate what is a
well known issue with a specific make and model.

RK

Old November 25th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Josh[_5_]

Josh wrote:
> I have a friend with a 2004 Audit TT, I believe it has the 1.8L DOHC
> turbo; I'm not sure if it's a "Quattro" or not. Recently the car just
> died on the interstate; RPMs dropped to zero even though the car was in
> gear and the clutch was engaged. The car will turn over but won't start.
>
> I'm thinking timing belt.
>
> Can anyone give me an idea of the estimated hours of labor, and cost of
> parts, for this repair? And if it's an interference engine?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Josh

I found out using google that it is, indeed, an interference engine.

So, no one can tell me the estimated number of hours labor for a timing belt for this engine? He's having the work done at an Audi dealership, and I'd like to hear this group's thoughts on what it would run... assuming the valves and pistons are not chewed up.

Thanks,
josh
Old November 25th 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

Josh wrote:

> Josh wrote:
> > I have a friend with a 2004 Audit TT, I believe it has the 1.8L DOHC
> > turbo; I'm not sure if it's a "Quattro" or not. Recently the car just
> > died on the interstate; RPMs dropped to zero even though the car was in
> > gear and the clutch was engaged. The car will turn over but won't start.
> >
> > I'm thinking timing belt.
> >
> > Can anyone give me an idea of the estimated hours of labor, and cost of
> > parts, for this repair? And if it's an interference engine?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Josh

> I found out using google that it is, indeed, an interference engine.
>
> So, no one can tell me the estimated number of hours labor for a timing belt for this engine? He's having the work done at an Audi dealership, and I'd like to hear this group's thoughts on what it would run... assuming the valves and pistons are not chewed up.

If timing belt broke when the car was traveling at 70mph what would be the
point in assuming no damage to valves or pistons?

-jim

Old November 26th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Josh wrote:
> I have a friend with a 2004 Audit TT, I believe it has the 1.8L DOHC
> turbo; I'm not sure if it's a "Quattro" or not. Recently the car just
> died on the interstate; RPMs dropped to zero even though the car was in
> gear and the clutch was engaged. The car will turn over but won't start.
>
> I'm thinking timing belt.

Why? Have you pulled the distributor cap and verified that the rotor is
not turning?

> Can anyone give me an idea of the estimated hours of labor, and cost of
> parts, for this repair? And if it's an interference engine?

I believe it is an interference engine, which means you are probably in
the market for a new car, if indeed it IS a timing belt. I am still not
sure what leads you to think it is.
--scott