BMW M3 or Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe

Old September 17th 04, 09:51 PM
Fred W.

Default BMW M3 or Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe

"T" > wrote in message
> >...3) BMW doesn't offer anything currently that is a true sports car.
> >
> > What is the Z4 then? Certainly it does not have as much power as your
> > old M-coupe but it is most certainly a true sports car. In fact "True
> > Sports Cars" came with small 4 cylinder engines and drove like a go
> > kart.

> *I* would certainly not characterize a Z4 as a true sports car. While I
> think it is a very capable car, loads of fun to drive and "sporty," it
> most certainly isn't in the league (or purpose) of what *I* consider to
> be a sports car. (some examples being the 911, M Coupe, Lotus Elise,
> etc.) The M3, which I love, is also not the same as it is a sports sedan.
> So, for you, if a true sports car must have a small 4-cyl engine then I
> guess you agree since the Z4 is only offered with a 6. We have different
> definitions of what a sports car consists of but it's clear that a Z4
> doesn't fit either of them.

No you missed my point. The earliest true sports cars, like MGBs, Triumphs,
Austin Healeys etc. all had small engines and tremendous (for their day)
handling. This is what a sports car is all about. Tooling down the back
roads and "feeling" you are going fast even if you really aren't breaking
the speed of sound.

So considering that I would say the definition of a sports car is: "A 2 seat
roaster or coupe (preferably with minimal frills) that handles like it's on
rails. Said sports car should have a manual transmission because the only
real purpose for a sports car is the total engagement and enjoyment of the
total driving experience FOR THE DRIVER!!" I don't thing either SMG or
Steptronic or full automatic allow the total engagement of the driver. Or
to put it another way, my left foot has to be part of the deal...

8< 8< 8<
8<

> Agreed. The *plan* is to find a way for me to be happy with a car and to
> accommodate her driving preference. The "girl-toy" (whatever that means)
> can drive a manual quite well and has proven herself on the track. The
> auto option was a preference since, as I already said, it would be more
> convenient in the city. I think she is coming around though.
>
> I completely agree that my plan is flawed. I've been wrestling with this
> and I'm now convinced that the sacrifice is just not worth it. It makes
> much better sense to get the manual thant I want, in the car that I want
> and to get her a more convenient, comfortable girly ride...maybe a Z4.

That's all good. Two (good) cars are always better than one. And one good
one and a not so good one is still better.

I just hate to see Z4's (or any decent perfomance cars for that matter) with
automagic transmissions. It really does contort what is the closest thing
(IMO) to a BMW sports car into, as you say, "a girly ride". Have you driven
a Z4 3.0 with a stick? I can't imagine it would come up too short of your
old M-coupe, though I'll admit I've never driven the coupe.

-Fred W

Old September 20th 04, 11:00 PM

> No you missed my point. The earliest true sports cars, like MGBs,
> Triumphs, Austin Healeys etc. all had small engines and tremendous
> (for their day) handling. This is what a sports car is all about.
> Tooling down the back roads and "feeling" you are going fast even if
> you really aren't breaking the speed of sound.

Ok, I see where you are coming from. Tossable, fun cars. I wish there were
more of them now. Maybe our disconnect was a (I'm guessing here)
generational thing. I certainly know much less about MGBs, Triumphs, Austin
Healeys etc. than about E30 M3s.

> So considering that I would say the definition of a sports car is: "A
> 2 seat roaster or coupe (preferably with minimal frills) that handles
> like it's on rails. Said sports car should have a manual transmission
> because the only real purpose for a sports car is the total engagement
> and enjoyment of the total driving experience FOR THE DRIVER!!" I
> don't thing either SMG or Steptronic or full automatic allow the total
> engagement of the driver. Or to put it another way, my left foot has
> to be part of the deal...

Agreed.

> I just hate to see Z4's (or any decent perfomance cars for that
> matter) with automagic transmissions. It really does contort what is
> the closest thing (IMO) to a BMW sports car into, as you say, "a girly
> ride".

And we agree on this too. I knew the idea of Step/Tiptronic was a major
sacrifice. I'm happy to say that it's one I'm not prepared to make.

> Have you driven a Z4 3.0 with a stick? I can't imagine it
> would come up too short of your old M-coupe, though I'll admit I've
> never driven the coupe.

I have driven a manual 3.0 Z4. It is very fun, quick and does meet your
criteria. My "girly-ride" comment was tongue-in-cheek. It just did not
provide the fun factor of the coupe. Maybe it was power, structural
rigidity or suspension but it just wasn't the same. The coupe really had
that go-kart feel. I know that power can be addictive and sometimes
anything slower than the fastest you've experienced is "slow." I was ruined
for many years after a particulary spirited 993TT ride.

Thanks for your very constructive and critical input. I'll be sure to keep
your email address handy so I can solicit future advice on car purchases.

Old September 21st 04, 05:41 PM
Fred W.

"T" > wrote in message

> Thanks for your very constructive and critical input. I'll be sure to keep
> your email address handy so I can solicit future advice on car purchases.

No problem. The next best thing to contemplating spending my own money is
contemplating spending someone elses...

Happy shopping,
-Fred W