wiring frustrations!

Old January 23rd 12, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

Default wiring frustrations!

89 Cherokee Limited ,4.0, AW-4, 4X4, cruise, A.C., power windows, power
seats, power locks (keyless module removed).

When I signal a left turn, the park light, taillights, clock and radio dial
flash also.

Repaced bulbs thinking one had shorted, checked ground wire conections,
replaced flashers and inspected turn signal switch for physical damage.

HA-A-A-A-A-ALP!!!!!! People look confused when I make left turns.

Budd

Old January 23rd 12, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Budd Cochran wrote:
> 89 Cherokee Limited ,4.0, AW-4, 4X4, cruise, A.C., power windows,
> power seats, power locks (keyless module removed).
>
> When I signal a left turn, the park light, taillights, clock and
> radio dial flash also.
>
> Repaced bulbs thinking one had shorted, checked ground wire
> conections, replaced flashers and inspected turn signal switch for physical
> damage.
> HA-A-A-A-A-ALP!!!!!! People look confused when I make left turns.
>
> Budd

99% certainty it's a grounding issue. Most likely the ground return
back at the tail lamp on the left side. Check every bulb and check
the ground wire for rot. Just because it has some continuity doesn't
mean it has enough. One way to see is if you put a volt meter between
the ground wire by the bulb and the chassis and run the blinker,
the meter will twitch.

Also check the sockets for any melt damage. Usually when the bulb
wears it causes a melty spot. http://www.revbeergoggles.com/blub/

--
DougW

Old January 23rd 12, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/1998-xj-wiring.pdf

Lemme know when you get that.

Old January 24th 12, 05:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

"DougW" > wrote in message
> http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/1998-xj-wiring.pdf
>
> Lemme know when you get that.

Thanks, Doug!

I checked front and rear grounds when I swapped bulbs, but I might have
missed something.

One concern is I've found a bunch of nest materials in the driver's door ...
yep, she's been sittin' and the creatures made nests, so I'm still going to
pull covers, panels, etc and go thru the wiring looking for gnawed spots.

Thanks again,

Budd

Old January 24th 12, 12:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PeterD

On 1/24/2012 12:23 AM, Budd Cochran wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/1998-xj-wiring.pdf
>>
>> Lemme know when you get that.
>>

> Thanks, Doug!
>
> I checked front and rear grounds when I swapped bulbs, but I might have
> missed something.
>
> One concern is I've found a bunch of nest materials in the driver's door ...
> yep, she's been sittin' and the creatures made nests, so I'm still going to
> pull covers, panels, etc and go thru the wiring looking for gnawed spots.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Budd

I've been doing this stuff for over 40 years, and I agree with Doug
100%, this is classic symptoms of a bad ground. Bad grounds cause the
voltage to seek other paths to ground, which is what causes odd lights
to come one. For example, the turn signal ground is open, so it 'back
feeds' through the stop light, and the tail lights. This puts a voltage
on the tail lights, which then causes things like the dash lights to
come on dimly, the back feed to the stop light can cause the cruise
control to cut out (or just not work) and all kinds of really odd things...

Another thing to always check, (I don't think it is your problem) is the
trailer connectors. Excessive corrosion can lead to leakage between
stop/turn/tail lights which creates odd problems... Don't ask how many
times I've learned this!

LED bulbs are much worse in this respect, they can light up surprisingly
bright with a few volts, which is worse.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Old January 24th 12, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

"PeterD" > wrote in message
> On 1/24/2012 12:23 AM, Budd Cochran wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/1998-xj-wiring.pdf
>>>
>>> Lemme know when you get that.
>>>

>> Thanks, Doug!
>>
>> I checked front and rear grounds when I swapped bulbs, but I might have
>> missed something.
>>
>> One concern is I've found a bunch of nest materials in the driver's door
>> yep, she's been sittin' and the creatures made nests, so I'm still going
>> pull covers, panels, etc and go thru the wiring looking for gnawed spots.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Budd
>>

> I've been doing this stuff for over 40 years, and I agree with Doug 100%,
> this is classic symptoms of a bad ground. Bad grounds cause the voltage to
> seek other paths to ground, which is what causes odd lights to come one.
> For example, the turn signal ground is open, so it 'back feeds' through
> the stop light, and the tail lights. This puts a voltage on the tail
> lights, which then causes things like the dash lights to come on dimly,
> the back feed to the stop light can cause the cruise control to cut out
> (or just not work) and all kinds of really odd things...
>
> Another thing to always check, (I don't think it is your problem) is the
> trailer connectors. Excessive corrosion can lead to leakage between
> stop/turn/tail lights which creates odd problems... Don't ask how many
> times I've learned this!
>
> LED bulbs are much worse in this respect, they can light up surprisingly
> bright with a few volts, which is worse.
>
> --
> I'm never going to grow up.

No LED's and I removed a poorly installed set of U-Haul trailer lighting
adaptors and taped the nicks in the insulation.

After I sort out the light probs, I'll install a trailer adaptor from the
parts XJ which I had been driving until a couple rods decided to let go.
It's a J.C. Whitney unit but it works great.

Thanks!

Budd

Old January 24th 12, 10:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

"Budd Cochran" > wrote in message
> 89 Cherokee Limited ,4.0, AW-4, 4X4, cruise, A.C., power windows, power
> seats, power locks (keyless module removed).
>
> When I signal a left turn, the park light, taillights, clock and radio
> dial flash also.
>
> Repaced bulbs thinking one had shorted, checked ground wire conections,
> replaced flashers and inspected turn signal switch for physical damage.
>
> HA-A-A-A-A-ALP!!!!!! People look confused when I make left turns.
>
> Budd

Well ... gettin' closer to the prob ... I think.

Ran three new grounds: right rear, left rear, left front (all over 1 ohm
from sockets to ground, now reads meter zero, 0.05 ohm, with new grounds)
and found a no power situation on the right front park light socket but the
turn signal works.

Now the fun part: while jiggling and pulling on wires to trace the park
light power prob, the left turn light started flashing correctly.

So, I've got to pull the grille surround, headlights, turn/park lights and
the battery so I can dig into the harness.

Good thing tomorrow's weather is supposed to be warmer (Canon City CO).

Budd

Old January 25th 12, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

On 1/24/2012 09:29, Budd Cochran wrote:
> > wrote in message

>>> Thanks, Doug!
>>>
>>> I checked front and rear grounds when I swapped bulbs, but I might have
>>> missed something.
>>>
>>> One concern is I've found a bunch of nest materials in the driver's door
>>> yep, she's been sittin' and the creatures made nests, so I'm still going
>>> pull covers, panels, etc and go thru the wiring looking for gnawed spots.
>>>
>>> Thanks again,
>>>
>>> Budd
>>>

>> I've been doing this stuff for over 40 years, and I agree with Doug 100%,
>> this is classic symptoms of a bad ground. Bad grounds cause the voltage to
>> seek other paths to ground, which is what causes odd lights to come one.
>> For example, the turn signal ground is open, so it 'back feeds' through
>> the stop light, and the tail lights. This puts a voltage on the tail
>> lights, which then causes things like the dash lights to come on dimly,
>> the back feed to the stop light can cause the cruise control to cut out
>> (or just not work) and all kinds of really odd things...
>>
>> Another thing to always check, (I don't think it is your problem) is the
>> trailer connectors. Excessive corrosion can lead to leakage between
>> stop/turn/tail lights which creates odd problems... Don't ask how many
>> times I've learned this!
>>
>> LED bulbs are much worse in this respect, they can light up surprisingly
>> bright with a few volts, which is worse.
>>
>> --
>> I'm never going to grow up.

> No LED's and I removed a poorly installed set of U-Haul trailer lighting
> adaptors and taped the nicks in the insulation.
>
> After I sort out the light probs, I'll install a trailer adaptor from the
> parts XJ which I had been driving until a couple rods decided to let go.
> It's a J.C. Whitney unit but it works great.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Budd

If you trap a cat in there, it helps keep the critters out. Not that
many cats like the taste of wiring, but keep it well fed anyway.

Old January 25th 12, 05:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

"Lon" > wrote in message
> On 1/24/2012 09:29, Budd Cochran wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> I've been doing this stuff for over 40 years, and I agree with Doug
>>> 100%,
>>> this is classic symptoms of a bad ground. Bad grounds cause the voltage
>>> seek other paths to ground, which is what causes odd lights to come one.
>>> For example, the turn signal ground is open, so it 'back feeds' through
>>> the stop light, and the tail lights. This puts a voltage on the tail
>>> lights, which then causes things like the dash lights to come on dimly,
>>> the back feed to the stop light can cause the cruise control to cut out
>>> (or just not work) and all kinds of really odd things...
>>>
>>> Another thing to always check, (I don't think it is your problem) is the
>>> trailer connectors. Excessive corrosion can lead to leakage between
>>> stop/turn/tail lights which creates odd problems... Don't ask how many
>>> times I've learned this!
>>>
>>> LED bulbs are much worse in this respect, they can light up surprisingly
>>> bright with a few volts, which is worse.
>>>
>>> --
>>> I'm never going to grow up.

>> No LED's and I removed a poorly installed set of U-Haul trailer lighting
>> adaptors and taped the nicks in the insulation.
>>
>> After I sort out the light probs, I'll install a trailer adaptor from the
>> parts XJ which I had been driving until a couple rods decided to let go.
>> It's a J.C. Whitney unit but it works great.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Budd
>>

> If you trap a cat in there, it helps keep the critters out. Not that many
> cats like the taste of wiring, but keep it well fed anyway.

Judging by the condition of the XJ when I got it, the critters had been in
residence for a few years. There were probably cats already around it.

After I get the wiring fixed then it's time to look at pulling the head and
fixing / replacing lifters or pushrods ... it's got some valetrain noise.

(mantra) I love my Jeep, I love my Jeep, I love my (J)ust (E)mpty (E)very
(P)ocket.

Budd

Old January 27th 12, 05:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

Default Update: wiring frustrations!

"Budd Cochran" > wrote in message
> 89 Cherokee Limited ,4.0, AW-4, 4X4, cruise, A.C., power windows, power
> seats, power locks (keyless module removed).
>
> When I signal a left turn, the park light, taillights, clock and radio
> dial flash also.
>
> Repaced bulbs thinking one had shorted, checked ground wire conections,
> replaced flashers and inspected turn signal switch for physical damage.
>
> HA-A-A-A-A-ALP!!!!!! People look confused when I make left turns.
>
> Budd
>

> --- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to
> ---

I replaced a large connector by the battery and found most of the wires in
the grille harness connector bared.

Cut and spliced those out and so far all my light works correctly and my
engine runs smoother ... maybe I fixed a sensor wire too?

wiring [email protected] Honda 2 March 27th 09 03:16 PM
Frustrations [email protected][_1_] VW air cooled 13 October 22nd 07 12:53 AM
Door-open switch wiring? key-in buzzer wiring? john.d.mcc Honda 1 July 1st 07 02:22 AM
GPL frustrations bernard spilman Simulators 10 January 2nd 05 12:42 PM
Thanks for all the replys to "GPL Frustrations." bernard spilman Simulators 8 December 2nd 04 03:41 PM