BB 366 - rockers clatter; oil pressure but no oil at rockers

Old October 20th 05, 08:08 PM

Default BB 366 - rockers clatter; oil pressure but no oil at rockers

I'll say - I've gotten quite good at pulling that intake off...

Old October 21st 05, 01:10 PM
wws

"Let me tell you - it is not rocker noise that we here; it is somewhere
in between rod knock (loud) and rocker noise (soft and clicky). With
the motor running, if I back off the #5 exhaust rocker until the valve
is not being depressed at all, the noise almost completely goes away."

Rod knock starts off "soft and clicky" but it's hard to hear.
When it gets loud there goes the oil pressure/flow.

If the crank is "ok", bearings and a high volume oil pump should work.

wws
Old October 21st 05, 04:02 PM

I pulled the head last night. Found that the top of the #5 piston has
been making contact with the head - the top of the piston was pretty
beat up from the piece of exhaust valve that came off, but I thought it
would be ok. Now I see that some of the raised bumps are making
contact at the flat area of the head - not the dome where the valves
are but the squish area at the back. I'm going to replace the piston,
rings and bearings and check to make sure the rod is ok. I don't
understand why baking the exhaust rocker would make the problem less -
maybe the pressure in the cylnder from not letting the gasses out is
keeping it from touching as hard?

The bumps are small - maybe the size of #2 pencil lead, but there are
several and they are shiny from hitting.

Will post a followup when it's all back together.

Thanks again for all the help - lot of smart people here.

Old October 21st 05, 07:37 PM
Steve

Steve W. wrote:

> The oil channel goes all the way around the dizzy, notice that? Guess
> where the oil also goes? That's right it will go around the distributor,
> regardless of the position of the housing. Doesn't make a bit of
> difference. NEVER.

What I want to know is what genius (not) thought it was a good idea to
stick the distributor right in the middle of an oil passage anyway.
Another reason I rarely touch anything Chevrolet. Shims on starters,
distributors in oil passages, connecting rods that are too short for a
model airplane engine, oiling through pushrods, skinny lifters that
limit the cam profiles that work... GAH!!!

Old October 23rd 05, 02:31 AM

My problem is fixed. Once I got the piston out and examined it on the
bench in good light, I saw that the bumps on the piston were actually
pieces of the exhaust valve that were embedded in the top. The biggest
one was probably sticking up 1/16 of an inch, overall there were 2 or 3
pieces. Just enough to make noise when running.

Thanks for the advice on the piston; I replaced it with a new one and
new wrist pin, with new bearings and rings. The bore was actually in
good shape, a few passes with a hone cleaned it up.

Put it back together - runs like it should, no noise, oil everyplace it
belongs.

Thank you to everyone who helped me get through this - the truck was
done today and is needed for corn harvest, which we started today as
well.

Old May 24th 18, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Gerald Pate

replying to jmweb, Gerald Pate wrote:
first off is this a early model Chevy motor.if so it could be that the wrong
cam berrings were installed.also check the distributer.if after market it
could be it needs O rings to create a seal so oil is forsed through the
galleys.or at the start of the motor a betting could have spun blocking the
oil hole.

--
for full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/tech/bb-...ers-27459-.htm

Starting Problems McNick Jeep 12 October 1st 05 03:58 AM
Low oil pressure Papa VW water cooled 30 July 12th 05 01:56 AM
2000 TJ: Low Oil Pressure After New Oil Pump Josh Jeep 8 June 21st 05 07:15 PM
Oil pressure gauge sticking on start-up in cold weather? Azfreeflyer Ford Explorer 6 December 27th 04 04:22 PM
'99 Explorer Fuel pressure problem Tim South Ford Explorer 2 December 20th 04 06:49 PM