windscreen affecting airbags? eh?

Old May 6th 18, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default windscreen affecting airbags? eh?

I saw an advert from an auto windowscreen company claiming that if you
windscreen is not fitted properly, it might affect airbags deployment.
How so?
Old May 7th 18, 12:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 8:01:07 PM UTC+8, Steve W. wrote:

> The glass is an integral part of the safety systems, on many vehicles
> the glass is used as a barrier for the airbag. It acts as a backing
> plate so the bag doesn't just act like a balloon when it deploys and
> just bounce around. If the glass isn't bonded properly it will break
> free and the bag becomes useless.

A few weeks ago, I saw a car (25-30 years old) get rear-ended. Apart from'
the arse end crumpling, the windscreen popped off. So I guess that the
glue had deteriorated badly....