Syn Oil Consumption

Old April 11th 05, 04:38 PM
Randall Brink

Default Syn Oil Consumption

After putting 2,000 miles on my new engine (1600cc Type 1 Beetle), I
switched from Castrol petroleum to Amsoil 10-30 synthetic.

Prior to this switch last week, my engine used no oil. I put a little under
200 miles on the engine at normal highway speeds with the Amsoil, and used
1/2 pint. Any thoughts or theories on why, and is this likely to continue,
or is it possibly a temporary "adjustment" to the new oil?

--
Randall Brink
Author

1970 VW Type 1
1975 Mercedes-Benz W115 240D

Old April 11th 05, 09:07 PM
Dane Tyler

What weight was the Castrol? If it was thicker than 10W-30 this may be
why.

I think that its normal for a new engine to use some oil during
break-in though.

Old April 12th 05, 05:23 AM
Dane Tyler

Well, half a pint is hard to measure. If you were parked at a slight
incline either way, the stick may read half a pint off. Too, I think
that 10W30 is too thin for a VW engine unless you are in a colder
climate. I use straight 30 weight, but I live in GA, and I've never had
any problems with my engines.

So many factors...just keep an eye on it and if it gets to where its a
quart (lower mark on dipstick) then that will be much more noticeable,
or at least half a quart.

Randall Brink wrote:
> The Castrol used for break-in (to 300 mi.) was straight 30W. After

that,

Old April 12th 05, 10:36 AM
Tunafish

Synthetic oil in a beetle? Are you sure the oil seals are compatible with
synthetic, if not they will leak. I use 15/40 mineral oil from VW, it's
cheap and has much higher rating than the oil that was put in it in 1969!
Work great. In my transmission I have semi-sythetic 75/90 to help it in the
mornings, very good for old gearbox's - all IMO of course.

--Steve

ups.com...

Old April 12th 05, 01:30 PM
Ben Boyle

Pretty much all commercially available synthetics are compatible with regular oil seals. I run Mobil 1 15-50 in mine,
but I also only drive it in the summertime. It seems to work well.

Old April 13th 05, 05:28 PM
Randall Brink

Actually, I must have been at a slight, imperceptible angle, because I
checked it again at the filling station, and it was at exactly the "full"
level. False alarm.

--
Randall Brink
Author

1970 VW Type 1
1975 Mercedes-Benz W115 240D
ups.com...

Old April 13th 05, 05:29 PM
Randall Brink

That's a good point about the seals. I don't know if my new engine was
designed for synoil. I'll look into it.

Old April 16th 05, 01:24 PM
Dennis Wik

Last year Hot VW's had a very good article on seals and synthtics. No
problems.

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>