1987 JEEP : TPS Question

Old October 30th 09, 02:38 AM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,i.jeep-l,alt.fr.autos.jeep
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Default 1987 JEEP : TPS Question

FYI
The Bendix Jeep Tester will get you those codes on an '87 and on my '88.
I have the manual with all of the codes.
I sent those codes to the Renix group on Yahoo after scanning them
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/RENIXPower
but I don't think that they were grouped & posted in a file yet.

The Tester also allows you to see what the ECM sees, TPS position, CTS
temperature, etc.
--
later,
dave AKA vwdoc1

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

snip

Old October 30th 09, 02:47 AM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,i.jeep-l,alt.fr.autos.jeep
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

Or, you can cycle the key OFF/ON five times and the Check light will blink
the codes.

Old October 30th 09, 03:33 AM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,i.jeep-l,alt.fr.autos.jeep
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Not on the Renix system AFAIK.
I think the 1991-1995 "Chrysler" OBD-I might have the blinking system. ;-)

Old October 31st 09, 06:11 AM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,i.jeep-l,alt.fr.autos.jeep
bllsht[_2_]

The Renix ECU doesn't store DTCs. The tester you refer to (MS 1700)
will guide you through a self test (key on, key off, step on
accelerator, etc) and look for the proper response. If it doesn't see
what it expects, it'll give you a code to look up a diagnostic
procedure. Useful if you have a dead sensor, but no help if your
problem is intermittent or a sensor that's just slightly off. The most
useful thing is the serial data readout which lets you see sensor
values in real time, but only one sensor at a time.

This tool was replaced by the Jeep/Eagle adapter used with the DRBII.

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 21:38:44 -0500, "dave AKA vwdoc1"

Old October 31st 09, 06:34 AM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,i.jeep-l,alt.fr.autos.jeep
Will Honea[_1_]

That serial stream is what I'm really most interested in. Any suggestions
on where to find out the specifics of the interface? I fiddled with it and
got the stream to display from a serial port connected via an optical
isolator (I don't trust anyone's implementation!) - can't recall all the
details, but it was pretty straight forward to that point. Of course, I
had no idea of what it meant but I could get a predictable stream. The
interpretation and control codes are what I'm looking for.

--
Will Honea

Old January 18th 11, 10:09 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,i.jeep-l,alt.fr.autos.jeep

Since 10/2009, just wanted to follow up and update on the TPS issue.

I was sure my transmission was an electrical issue, and not a mechanical
one. The TPS seemed to be a part of that premise. In the summer 0f 2010,
after driving without overdrive for a year, I pulled into a sleeply
little town in Mississippi (Pascagoula) and a home grown auto repair
shop. Ole boy said his modis scanner said my brake was depresssed. ---
Overdrive solved by replacing a burnt wire under dash near pedals. Just
saved $2,300 for what 10 authorized mechanics wanted to charge.

Well, it's winter time again and my jeep is following it's attitude as
in the past 5 winters. Cold temperature (35 to 45 degrees) it reeves
over 3500 rpms the first time starting it in the morning. I have to shut
off, and restart no less than 4 times before the reeving of the engine
subsides. Any suggestions? EGR? vacuum? relay?

Your input has been and is appreciated,
Ken

Old January 18th 11, 10:19 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,i.jeep-l,alt.fr.autos.jeep

Do you have insight as to why the engine would reeve up in conditions of
cool weather - clod starts?
Thanks,
Ken

Old January 19th 11, 03:59 AM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,i.jeep-l,alt.fr.autos.jeep
Will Honea[_1_]

wrote:

> Since 10/2009, just wanted to follow up and update on the TPS issue.
>
> I was sure my transmission was an electrical issue, and not a mechanical
> one. The TPS seemed to be a part of that premise. In the summer 0f 2010,
> after driving without overdrive for a year, I pulled into a sleeply
> little town in Mississippi (Pascagoula) and a home grown auto repair
> shop. Ole boy said his modis scanner said my brake was depresssed. ---
> Overdrive solved by replacing a burnt wire under dash near pedals. Just
> saved $2,300 for what 10 authorized mechanics wanted to charge.
>
> Well, it's winter time again and my jeep is following it's attitude as
> in the past 5 winters. Cold temperature (35 to 45 degrees) it reeves
> over 3500 rpms the first time starting it in the morning. I have to shut
> off, and restart no less than 4 times before the reeving of the engine
> subsides. Any suggestions? EGR? vacuum? relay?
>
> Your input has been and is appreciated,

My wife showed me how to fix that on a 4.0L I6: KEEP YOUR FOOT OFF THE GAS.

More specifically, the old MJ (Renix system) does this race thing on cool
starts ("cold" around here is generally single digits, +-, and with those
the darned thing starts fine). At those intermediate temps, it will race as
you describe under two conditions: If I give it ANY gas while starting and
(oddly enough) if I pull into the drive in 2nd or 3rd then turn the engine
off without letting it idle for a second or two. The second one there acts
like a restart after stalling the engine taking off from a stop and backs
off pretty quick but I can't figure why it "remembers" a stall overnight.

Two things helped the first of the above two: 1. clean the TPS lug really
well and 2. get some contact cleaner into the TPS itself then work it back
and forth to get the corrosion off.

--
Will Honea