phooey. :P

Old February 11th 11, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

Default phooey. :P

"Will Honea" > wrote in message
> Budd Cochran wrote:
>
>> Wash the chamois in a good mild soap and water, rinse thoroughly and
>> it'll
>> clean windows again. Just an old detailer's trick.
>>
>> Btw, if you suspect your gas of having water in it, running it though the
>> shammy will filter the water out ... a chamois absorbs water easier than
>> it does gas.

> That's why I kept one in the boat - used to be a common item in most
> tackle
> boxes in my part of the world. For some reason - maybe the
> soap/detergents
> I've used - washing one more than a couple of times seemed to do them in.
> Anymore, I find that warm/hot water seems to do pretty well but anymore I
> mostly use one for the inside of the windshield in the winter so I'm no
> expert.
>
> --
> Will Honea

You would be amazed at all the old tricks that are disappearing . . . .

Along with us older guys.

For some reason, younger people aren't interested in it if it
ain'tcomputerized, it seems.

Like using 91% strength rubbing alcohol to dry out water from gas in a car's
tank ... and it's cheaper than Heet (my step-dad used moonshine . . . )

--
C.L. "Budd" Cochran
Pray for the Obama administration: Psalm 109:8

Old February 11th 11, 05:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Budd Cochran wrote:

> "Will Honea" > wrote in message
>> Budd Cochran wrote:
>>
>>> Wash the chamois in a good mild soap and water, rinse thoroughly and
>>> it'll
>>> clean windows again. Just an old detailer's trick.
>>>
>>> Btw, if you suspect your gas of having water in it, running it though
>>> the shammy will filter the water out ... a chamois absorbs water easier
>>> than it does gas.

>> That's why I kept one in the boat - used to be a common item in most
>> tackle
>> boxes in my part of the world. For some reason - maybe the
>> soap/detergents
>> I've used - washing one more than a couple of times seemed to do them in.
>> Anymore, I find that warm/hot water seems to do pretty well but anymore I
>> mostly use one for the inside of the windshield in the winter so I'm no
>> expert.
>>
>> --
>> Will Honea
>>

> You would be amazed at all the old tricks that are disappearing . . . .
>
> Along with us older guys.
>
> For some reason, younger people aren't interested in it if it
> ain'tcomputerized, it seems.
>
> Like using 91% strength rubbing alcohol to dry out water from gas in a
> car's tank ... and it's cheaper than Heet (my step-dad used moonshine . .
> . )

OT for a Jeep forum, but your comments reflect a piece I saw on PBS the
other night about how the digital age is affecting students by impairing
their ability to concentrate. All this multitasking has measurably reduced
performance in math and hard math science. I got that message several years
ago trying to get new grads to debug their programs. Most literally lacked
the ability to focus on a single task long enough to follow a logical
progression.

Ah, well. Every generation has gone to Hell in a handbasket - just ask
their elders.

--
Will Honea

Old February 11th 11, 02:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PeterD

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 22:06:55 -0700, "Budd Cochran" >
wrote:

>Like using 91% strength rubbing alcohol to dry out water from gas in a car's
>tank ... and it's cheaper than Heet (my step-dad used moonshine . . . )

WTF, there are MUCH better uses for moonshine!

Sadly finding 91% or better alcohol is getting very hard to do now...
Everthing seems to be well watered down today. (bad pun included!)
Old February 11th 11, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PeterD

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 22:43:38 -0700, Will Honea >
wrote:

>OT for a Jeep forum, but your comments reflect a piece I saw on PBS the
>other night about how the digital age is affecting students by impairing
>their ability to concentrate. All this multitasking has measurably reduced
>performance in math and hard math science. I got that message several years
>ago trying to get new grads to debug their programs. Most literally lacked
>the ability to focus on a single task long enough to follow a logical
>progression.
>
>Ah, well. Every generation has gone to Hell in a handbasket - just ask
>their elders.

I'm a (rather old) university professor. Absolutely things have
changed, but I'm not convinced that all is bad change. Todays kids are
much better at researching to find answers than any prior generation
ever was--mostly because of the Internet, Google and Yahoo. They may
not know the answers, but so many today can find answers that that is
encouraging.
Old February 11th 11, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article >, peter2
@hipson.net says...

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 22:43:38 -0700, Will Honea >
> wrote:
>

> >OT for a Jeep forum, but your comments reflect a piece I saw on PBS the
> >other night about how the digital age is affecting students by impairing
> >their ability to concentrate. All this multitasking has measurably reduced
> >performance in math and hard math science. I got that message several years
> >ago trying to get new grads to debug their programs. Most literally lacked
> >the ability to focus on a single task long enough to follow a logical
> >progression.
> >
> >Ah, well. Every generation has gone to Hell in a handbasket - just ask
> >their elders.

> I'm a (rather old) university professor. Absolutely things have
> changed, but I'm not convinced that all is bad change. Todays kids are
> much better at researching to find answers than any prior generation
> ever was--mostly because of the Internet, Google and Yahoo. They may
> not know the answers, but so many today can find answers that that is
> encouraging.

But are they finding good answers?

My experience is that the Internet is very good for researching
computer-related technical matters and popular culture subsequent to
1995 or thearabouts but it's not particularly useful for researching
much else.

Old February 11th 11, 07:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

J. Clarke wrote:

> In article >, peter2
> @hipson.net says...
>>
>> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 22:43:38 -0700, Will Honea >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >OT for a Jeep forum, but your comments reflect a piece I saw on PBS the
>> >other night about how the digital age is affecting students by impairing
>> >their ability to concentrate. All this multitasking has measurably
>> >reduced performance in math and hard math science. I got that message
>> >several years
>> >ago trying to get new grads to debug their programs. Most literally
>> >lacked the ability to focus on a single task long enough to follow a
>> >logical progression.
>> >
>> >Ah, well. Every generation has gone to Hell in a handbasket - just ask
>> >their elders.

>> I'm a (rather old) university professor. Absolutely things have
>> changed, but I'm not convinced that all is bad change. Todays kids are
>> much better at researching to find answers than any prior generation
>> ever was--mostly because of the Internet, Google and Yahoo. They may
>> not know the answers, but so many today can find answers that that is
>> encouraging.

> But are they finding good answers?
>
> My experience is that the Internet is very good for researching
> computer-related technical matters and popular culture subsequent to
> 1995 or thearabouts but it's not particularly useful for researching
> much else.

You've actually hit upon the exact point the researchers were making: the
Internet provides point detail; the failure is in cognitive and associative
reasoning necessary to the actual application of the data. My terminology
for that is "data diarrhea". This isn't new. Back in the mid-70's part of
my job on the EE faculty was curriculum evaluation and development and even
at that time we were faced with lack of effective communications skills -
the incoming freshmen were unable to write or speak effectively. I recall
that the Dean found it ironic when the EE Department curriculum
recommendations included extension of the mandatory English and Language
requirements ;-)

--
Will Honea

Old February 11th 11, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
AJ[_13_]

On 2/11/2011 12:57 PM, Will Honea wrote:

> I recall
> that the Dean found it ironic when the EE Department curriculum
> recommendations included extension of the mandatory English and Language
> requirements ;-)

I worked with super computers and found it ironic that foreign born
hires, mainly PHDs, were better able to communicate and express ideas
than native born people... Just generally better employees.

--

Jim - Wandering in Arizona
Old February 11th 11, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scott in Baltimore[_2_]

PeterD wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 22:06:55 -0700, "Budd Cochran" >
> wrote:
>
>> Like using 91% strength rubbing alcohol to dry out water from gas in a car's
>> tank ... and it's cheaper than Heet (my step-dad used moonshine . . . )

> WTF, there are MUCH better uses for moonshine!
>
> Sadly finding 91% or better alcohol is getting very hard to do now...
> Everthing seems to be well watered down today. (bad pun included!)

You can still get it at Wally World, in the pharmacy department, by the quart.

I'd always wondered if the 91% was good enough since 99% stuff gets you
looked at funny these days if you ask for it.
Old February 12th 11, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Scott in Baltimore wrote:
> PeterD wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 22:06:55 -0700, "Budd Cochran" wrote:
>>
>>> Like using 91% strength rubbing alcohol to dry out water from gas
>>> in a car's tank ... and it's cheaper than Heet (my step-dad used
>>> moonshine . . . )

>> WTF, there are MUCH better uses for moonshine!
>>
>> Sadly finding 91% or better alcohol is getting very hard to do now...
>> Everthing seems to be well watered down today. (bad pun included!)

> You can still get it at Wally World, in the pharmacy department, by
> the quart.
> I'd always wondered if the 91% was good enough since 99% stuff gets
> you looked at funny these days if you ask for it.

I get looked at funny all the time anyway. Makes me no nevermind.

190 Everclear is 95% and makes a good parts cleaner.

Search for "Reagent Grade Ethanol" or search Amazon. About $35/gal
plus ground shipping. I can pick that stuff up at the local farm store.

Or find a fuel company that sells ethanol racing fuel. Or just tank
up with E85.

I run 10-15% ethanol in the Jeep. Of course the I6 has a blower tucked
on top of it. Works better than 93 and keeps the pings away.

--
DougW

Old February 12th 11, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

AJ wrote:
> On 2/11/2011 12:57 PM, Will Honea wrote:
>
>> I recall
>> that the Dean found it ironic when the EE Department curriculum
>> recommendations included extension of the mandatory English and
>> Language requirements ;-)
>>

> I worked with super computers and found it ironic that foreign born
> hires, mainly PHDs, were better able to communicate and express ideas
> than native born people... Just generally better employees.

BSEE here, nearly went mechanical because I loved fiddling with cars.
Back then it was a matter of saving beer money and now it's more a
matter of principle and time. Some things just ain't worth messing
with and some things I should have known better than to start.

Common language around my office is Vietnamese. Hell, I'm almost
to the point of understanding some of it.

Personally I think computers are making people lazy. My handwriting
was never that good to begin with but it flatly sucks now. At least
I can type like a bat out of hell.

And now that the Jeep runs, I'm off to the pub to get a pint and
listen to some local bands.

Cheers!

--
DougW