tranny rebuild

Old March 3rd 11, 10:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Old Crow

Default tranny rebuild

OK, so I got a rebuild kit for the AX15 in my Wrangler. I figured while I
had the t/case out to fix the shift forks, I might just as well do the
tranny. Called the service manger at our sister dealership(DCJ)and
apparently some sticky fingered mechanic has carried off the unit repair
manual I need.
I poked around a bit on Doug's site, since he had the t/case info I needed,
but couldn't find anything. Anyone else got the teardown instructions or a
parts breakdown diagram for this tranny? I've done a bunch of top loaders
but never one that comes apart in "slices", and I need a clue or two.

--
Old Crow
'82 FLTC(P) 92"

Old March 3rd 11, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ[_2_]

Assuming you have the '94 YJ with 6 banger, I have the .pdf parts
manual. I suspect Doug has the same one, it's easier for him to send you
a copy. I also have (???) the .pdf for the service manual in FRENCH.
And even though everyone thinks they are trash, the Chilton's Wrangler
87 to 94 service manual (ISBN 0801985358) is very detailed on the tranny
rebuild: 16 pages with plenty of details on shim clearances and other
crucial stuff. That manual is probably out of print but Amazon lists
some new and used copies.

Have fun!!

Old March 3rd 11, 11:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

RoyJ wrote:
> Assuming you have the '94 YJ with 6 banger, I have the .pdf parts
> manual. I suspect Doug has the same one, it's easier for him to send
> you a copy. I also have (???) the .pdf for the service manual in
> FRENCH. And even though everyone thinks they are trash, the Chilton's
> Wrangler 87 to 94 service manual (ISBN 0801985358) is very detailed
> on the tranny rebuild: 16 pages with plenty of details on shim
> clearances and other crucial stuff. That manual is probably out of
> print but Amazon lists some new and used copies.

Might not be the exact one, but nothing really changed.

> Have fun!!
>

> On 3/3/2011 4:41 AM, Old Crow wrote:
>> OK, so I got a rebuild kit for the AX15 in my Wrangler. I figured
>> while I had the t/case out to fix the shift forks, I might just as
>> well do the tranny. Called the service manger at our sister
>> dealership(DCJ)and apparently some sticky fingered mechanic has
>> carried off the unit repair manual I need.
>> I poked around a bit on Doug's site, since he had the t/case info I
>> needed, but couldn't find anything. Anyone else got the teardown
>> instructions or a parts breakdown diagram for this tranny? I've done
>> a bunch of top loaders but never one that comes apart in "slices",
>> and I need a clue or two.

Gonna have to look around a bit. The AX15 was also used in the ZJ.
But that book just talks about taking it out, not repairing.
I do have a parts breakout with numbers.

Parts sheet
http://www.revbeergoggles.com/xfr/91j-ax15.pdf

The book (23 Meg!) I cut out the other stuff, it was MUCH larger
http://www.revbeergoggles.com/xfr/ax-15.pdf

Let me know when you get that, I don't like to keep a lot of "stuff" online.

--
DougW

Old March 3rd 11, 11:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

DougW wrote:

> Parts sheet
> http://www.revbeergoggles.com/xfr/91j-ax15.pdf
>
> The book (23 Meg!) I cut out the other stuff, it was MUCH larger
> http://www.revbeergoggles.com/xfr/ax-15.pdf

Fixed that. Forgot to compress. (3.27M)
It's just the first part.

--
DougW

Old March 4th 11, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Old Crow

"RoyJ" > wrote in message
> Assuming you have the '94 YJ with 6 banger, I have the .pdf parts manual.
> I suspect Doug has the same one, it's easier for him to send you a copy. I
> also have (???) the .pdf for the service manual in FRENCH. And even
> though everyone thinks they are trash, the Chilton's Wrangler 87 to 94
> service manual (ISBN 0801985358) is very detailed on the tranny rebuild:
> 16 pages with plenty of details on shim clearances and other crucial
> stuff. That manual is probably out of print but Amazon lists some new and
> used copies.
>
> Have fun!!
>

> On 3/3/2011 4:41 AM, Old Crow wrote:
>> OK, so I got a rebuild kit for the AX15 in my Wrangler. I figured while
>> I had the t/case out to fix the shift forks, I might just as well do the
>> tranny. Called the service manger at our sister dealership(DCJ)and
>> apparently some sticky fingered mechanic has carried off the unit repair
>> manual I need.
>> I poked around a bit on Doug's site, since he had the t/case info I
>> needed, but couldn't find anything. Anyone else got the teardown
>> instructions or a parts breakdown diagram for this tranny? I've done a
>> bunch of top loaders but never one that comes apart in "slices", and I
>> need a clue or two.

I don't know what Chilton's manual you have, but mine has very detailed
instructions on how to get the thing out and back in so you can change the
clutch. No rebuild sections on either the trans or the t/case.

Old March 4th 11, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Old Crow

"DougW" > wrote in message
> DougW wrote:
>
>> Parts sheet
>> http://www.revbeergoggles.com/xfr/91j-ax15.pdf
>>
>> The book (23 Meg!) I cut out the other stuff, it was MUCH larger
>> http://www.revbeergoggles.com/xfr/ax-15.pdf

> Fixed that. Forgot to compress. (3.27M)
> It's just the first part.
>
> --
> DougW

Got it, thanks. All I really needed was how to get it apart. If I can get
it apart, I can get it back together. Glad it's supposed to rain this
weekend, the weather this week has been so nice I'm jones'n for a bike ride.
Now I'll stay home and finish up the Jeep. Got the t/case done last weekend
and the new clutch hung off the flywheel. I've got a new hydraulic system
for the clutch too(came as one piece, m/c, line, and slave, all pre-bled and
ready to go).

An opinion question: Book calls for 75w-90 GL-5 gear lube for the tranny.
Being a GM tech, I have access to GM synthetic syncromesh fluid. It carries
the 75w-90 GL-5 rating. I think it'll work fine. How about you? All
bearings and seals in the trans will be new with the exception of the needle
beaing inside the 5th gear counter gear, which is in good shape anyway.

Old March 4th 11, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ[_2_]

There were a couple of different Chilton's manuals with very similar
titles. One was great, the other was miserable. The ISBN in question had
16 pages with detailed data on tolerances, shim packs and such.

Can I rebuild it? CherokeeGirl Jeep 5 August 1st 06 06:42 PM
Rebuild Steve VW air cooled 5 February 18th 06 03:51 AM
A2 Engine Rebuild David Abineri VW water cooled 2 September 14th 05 12:35 AM
Removed tranny crossmember w/o tranny jack. [email protected] Technology 4 July 11th 05 05:07 PM
Conversion from auto tranny to manual tranny Masospaghetti Technology 3 June 29th 05 10:34 PM