VW Brasilia big problems

Old April 29th 05, 02:31 AM

Default VW Brasilia big problems

Hello everyone,

ive posted to this group before, like 1 or 2 years ago, so someone
might remember me
well, ive moved to brasil since then, and a good friend of mine bought
this "brasilia", kinda looks like it has a type4 engine to me...
well today he told me, that something in his accelerator pedal assembly
failed which caused the car to go WOT... so far so good he turned the
car off and thought to have fixed the problem at the pedal... but then
after starting the car again and driving some meters the same problem
happened again and the car went WOT... but this time he told me he
wasnt able to turn off the engine by turning the key... and he didnt
think of killing the engine by engaging a gear and stepping on the
brake (duh)... so what happened is that the engine was running at full
speed for like 1 minute which caused it to start throwing oil all over
the place (uh-oh) after some other guy finally helped him to kill the
car by "ripping some cable out of the engine" (ignition cable, i hope)
what do you guys think. does this car even have a rev limiter? or am i
looking at a total desaster, i.e. engine swap...
im gonna take a look at it today but i already told my friend that it
probably wont be done with a new ignition cable, fixing the accelerator
pedal and new oil, as he told me the car was making "strange noises"
when he tried to start it after... , obviously...without oil.. duh!
what would be the most probable damage done to the engine... actually
his description of "oil all over the place" kinda makes me worry
piston/rod/crank/main bearing problems... and due to the high revs we
might be looking at serious valve/piston damage too... or am i wrong?
i have no idea how this engine works, does it have a timing chain or
belt, is it even OHC ? or OHV ? i guess it shouldnt be that hard to
figure out how to fix all that stuff, given its a pretty basic
engine...

greets from brasil,

simon