electronic ignition

Old June 2nd 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Dennis[_4_]

Default electronic ignition

would you guys give me your opinions on electronic ignition units and
what you think the best for the buck. There are a lot of new types
for sale and I don't know if the big spread in dollars has any basis
besides country of origin. Dennis

Old June 2nd 07, 06:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Dennis" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> would you guys give me your opinions on electronic ignition units and
> what you think the best for the buck. There are a lot of new types
> for sale and I don't know if the big spread in dollars has any basis
> besides country of origin. Dennis

are you talking about a true (full) electronic ignition, or just points
replacements?
if points replacement modules are your thing, i really like the
pertronix...haven't tried the later pertronix 2, but the original is very
reliable and hasn't let me down yet...been running the same unit for about
ten years or so...

Old June 2nd 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Dennis[_4_]

On Jun 2, 12:05 am, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
> "Dennis" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > would you guys give me your opinions on electronic ignition units and
> > what you think the best for the buck. There are a lot of new types
> > for sale and I don't know if the big spread in dollars has any basis
> > besides country of origin. Dennis

> are you talking about a true (full) electronic ignition, or just points
> replacements?
> if points replacement modules are your thing, i really like the
> pertronix...haven't tried the later pertronix 2, but the original is very
> reliable and hasn't let me down yet...been running the same unit for about
> ten years or so...

Points replacements... I agree on pertonix and have that unit in my
bus. The old, old module on the puma died and I want to replace it.
I noticed the pertonix had taken a huge price increase and a few on
Samba that were about half priced but a no name unit and I'm not
familiar with them. The old unit on the puma had a box that says
universal pointless ignition so that is the very old style which I had
mounted it on top of the fan cover. It was it's time.

Old June 3rd 07, 04:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bearing1

I put a Hot-Spark ignition in my 1972 Bug and have been very happy it starts
so fast you can't hardly hear the starter turn the key and its running no
flat spot very smooth cost me $47.00 delivered

Old June 3rd 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Dennis[_4_]

On Jun 2, 10:15 pm, "Bearing1" > wrote:
> I put a Hot-Spark ignition in my 1972 Bug and have been very happy it starts
> so fast you can't hardly hear the starter turn the key and its running no
> flat spot very smooth cost me $47.00 delivered

Thanks, where did you buy it? Any other units tested by the group in
their vw's?

Old June 3rd 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bearing1

I got it from Hot-spark.com directly $40.00 + shipping
by the way it had a real good instruction sheet and only took about 15
minutes to install. Just tell them which distributor you have
good luck.
ups.com...

Old June 4th 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jakalope

On Jun 1, 6:39 pm, Dennis > wrote:
> would you guys give me your opinions on electronic ignition units and
> what you think the best for the buck. There are a lot of new types
> for sale and I don't know if the big spread in dollars has any basis
> besides country of origin. Dennis

I installed pertronix this spring. I have a 71 Std type1. Dual
Vacuum dist. The Pertronix works great. easy install. I can't
believe I didn't do this earlier. About 70.00 US.

Old June 5th 07, 11:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AshMan

Have run two different electronic units in my Bug.

First was an Empi Accu-Fire unit and the second was a Compufire, both
for the stock '74 single vacuum adv distributor. The Empi looked
exactly the same as the Compufire unit except it didn't come in a box
(it came in a simple clear plastic bag) and was missing the Compufire
sticker. Installation was exactly the same.

The first unit lasted about a month before dying. I can't completely
blame the unit... it died because the flat plastic disc that holds the
magnets came loose and started grinding into the top of the unit (made
from epoxy). It dug thru to the circuits below.

The flat disc fits over the cam lobes that the points ride on and
under the rotor. One of the things that are not described in the
instructions is that this disc raises the height of the rotor enough
that you are required to grind off the bottom of the rotor. A few
seconds w/ coarse sandpaper on a flat surface is enough. But if your
grind off too much or don't square off the bottom, the disc can some
loose and wobble. I believe this wobble caused the disc to grind into
the top of the unit.

Once installed properly and having re-adjusted the timing, these
little things keep reliable timing and lots of dwell time.

One other thing that I should mention. If your VW is old and you
can't maintain a constant voltage to the coil when cranking you may
have problems w/ electronic units. Remember that these things run off
electricity. There is an extra 12v(+) lead from the unit that must be
powered. In my case, a weak battery meant that the car would brank
but wouldn't start. Less than 10v and I started having trouble.
Yeah, I know, the problem is the battery, not the ignition. But given
the choice of being able to start your car w/ 8v w/ points vs not
being able to start w/ 9v w/ an electronic unit.... which do you think
is more reliable?

Don't get me wrong... I run a Compufire unit, but I always keep a
spare set of points and a condensor in the glove box along w/ a
screwdriver and the tools to adjust the points/timing.... just in
case!

AshMan40

Old June 6th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Eric[_8_]

Hey Ash or any other Petronix or Compufire guys out there,
Did it look like this unit in any way??
http://www.hot-spark.com/
Eric

oups.com...

Old June 6th 07, 04:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Eric" > wrote in message
> Hey Ash or any other Petronix or Compufire guys out there,
> Did it look like this unit in any way??
> http://www.hot-spark.com/
> Eric

that is a copy of the pertronix...