driving a bug

Old December 18th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Chris Miller

Default driving a bug

i've got a fairly stock 67 (i believe it's got a 1600cc engine though) and
i'm wondering how fast i should drive it on the freeway. i want to be able
to keep up with traffic, but i don't want to put undue strain on the engine.
i change the oil and adjust the valves religiously if that makes a
difference.
thanks,
chris

Old December 18th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan[_3_]

Chris Miller kirjoitti:
> i've got a fairly stock 67 (i believe it's got a 1600cc engine though) and
> i'm wondering how fast i should drive it on the freeway. i want to be able
> to keep up with traffic, but i don't want to put undue strain on the engine.
> i change the oil and adjust the valves religiously if that makes a
> difference.
> thanks,
> chris

60mph sustained, short bursts to 70 if it can do it
The low 67 gearing makes the engine rev higher, helping acceleration but
reducing top speed.
Old December 18th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Tricky

Jan wrote:
> Chris Miller kirjoitti:
>> i've got a fairly stock 67 (i believe it's got a 1600cc engine though)
>> and i'm wondering how fast i should drive it on the freeway. i want to
>> be able to keep up with traffic, but i don't want to put undue strain
>> on the engine. i change the oil and adjust the valves religiously if
>> that makes a difference.
>> thanks,
>> chris
>>

> 60mph sustained, short bursts to 70 if it can do it
> The low 67 gearing makes the engine rev higher, helping acceleration but
> reducing top speed.

I thought the 'stock' beetle was designed to run with your foot to the
floor all day long ? Self restricting intake and exhaust.

?

Rich
Old December 18th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
A Veteran

In article >,
Jan > wrote:

> Chris Miller kirjoitti:
> > i've got a fairly stock 67 (i believe it's got a 1600cc engine though) and
> > i'm wondering how fast i should drive it on the freeway. i want to be able
> > to keep up with traffic, but i don't want to put undue strain on the
> > engine.
> > i change the oil and adjust the valves religiously if that makes a
> > difference.
> > thanks,
> > chris
> >

> 60mph sustained, short bursts to 70 if it can do it
> The low 67 gearing makes the engine rev higher, helping acceleration but
> reducing top speed.

I've heard of a "Freeway Flyer" trans-axle. higher gearing.
I've also heard of a 5 speed tranny.
One of the biggest "strains" on a VW engine is lugging. going too slow in
a gear.
Maybe get a tachometer.??
I sometimes run the **** out of the Ghia. I just rebuild the engine more
often, but have a little fun. the first 36 hp. were happy running all day
"pedal to the metal" 70 mph +/-
and those ran the cam in the case. no bearings there.
Have fun. Don't Worry/.

--
when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
All problems look like nails.
Old December 19th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Dennis[_4_]

On Dec 18, 4:13 pm, A Veteran > wrote:
> In article >,
>

> Jan > wrote:
> > Chris Miller kirjoitti:
> > > i've got a fairly stock 67 (i believe it's got a 1600cc engine though) and
> > > i'm wondering how fast i should drive it on the freeway. i want to be able
> > > to keep up with traffic, but i don't want to put undue strain on the
> > > engine.
> > > i change the oil and adjust the valves religiously if that makes a
> > > difference.
> > > thanks,
> > > chris

> > 60mph sustained, short bursts to 70 if it can do it
> > The low 67 gearing makes the engine rev higher, helping acceleration but
> > reducing top speed.

> I've heard of a "Freeway Flyer" trans-axle. higher gearing.
> I've also heard of a 5 speed tranny.
> One of the biggest "strains" on a VW engine is lugging. going too slow in
> a gear.
> Maybe get a tachometer.??
> I sometimes run the **** out of the Ghia. I just rebuild the engine more
> often, but have a little fun. the first 36 hp. were happy running all day
> "pedal to the metal" 70 mph +/-
> and those ran the cam in the case. no bearings there.
> Have fun. Don't Worry/.
>
> --
> when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
> All problems look like nails.- Hide quoted text -

Hold on guys. I have never driven any of my vw's under 65 unless the
speed limit is less. The 36 can be driven all day wide open and I
have when I had my 57. Same thing with the 1300. The only engines I
have had heat issues with by driving to fast are the 1600s so I use
good temp guage set ups to monitor the running. This covers the time
period from 1963 to today. I have never blown an engine. I once
drove a 63 vw from wisconsin to rapid city SD and back wide open every
mile possible. This was over 1800 miles with no problems during the
trip nor in the years that followed. This is my personal experience
which of course my opinions are based on. By the way guys, Have a
Merry Chistmas....Dennis
Old December 19th 07, 07:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Rev Turd Fredericks

Chris Miller wrote:
> i've got a fairly stock 67 (i believe it's got a 1600cc engine though) and
> i'm wondering how fast i should drive it on the freeway. i want to be able
> to keep up with traffic, but i don't want to put undue strain on the engine.
> i change the oil and adjust the valves religiously if that makes a
> difference.
> thanks,
> chris

I wouldn't worry about it too much, worry about the other drivers on the
freeway instead :-( You get clocked by an SUV while the driver is
checking their email on their blackberry and you probably won't survive.
Any damage to your engine from going "too fast" will be a moot point.

--
Babies, before were're done here,
y'all be wearing gold plated diapers

- Christopher Walken as Bruce Dickensonn
Old December 19th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jakalope

My 1600 71 loves to go 60 - 80 on the hwy. It gives me an unatural
feeling going 90+ in a bug. But, I'm sure it's not a problem for the
car.
Old December 19th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan[_3_]

Jakalope kirjoitti:
> My 1600 71 loves to go 60 - 80 on the hwy. It gives me an unatural
> feeling going 90+ in a bug. But, I'm sure it's not a problem for the
> car.

I've done 115MPH in my standard -74. Swingaxle and drum brakes, stock
suspension. Didn't care to try it twice

Jan
Old December 19th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

Back when my 65 still had the stock engine and tranny it would max out
at 68 MPH. That was enough to get along on at 65MPH on the level
sections on Oregon interstate freeways. It would run maxed out like
that for hours on end and never had any problems I could detect. But
alas my 1300 died an early death when a crazy old woman rear-ended my
poor little Baja Bug. The pulley end of the crank was bent and I was
afraid to continue running it after that.

To shorten up a long story, it now has a later model transaxel and a
slightly hotted up and a balanced & blueprinted 1600 DP engine. It will
now comfortably hit 65 in third. I got more performance than I was
looking for but it easily climbs hills at highway speed (no more backed
up and ****ed off traffic behind me climbing out of the canyon on hwy 26
out of Portland, OR. On the other hand, I sure do miss the 40 MPG of
the old set up.

Tony

Old December 19th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

I used to run my 1966 Baja up to 85 MPH but after reading the article in
the back of "how to hot rod a VW," I found out why the font end felt so
light... Now I won't drive it much past 70 MPH.

I don't think anything less than a full body swap would make a VW Bug
safe to drive above 75.

Tony