Trail(er) trash

Old June 10th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.backcountry

Default Human footprint maps

Why is it necessary to have federally protected wilderness areas anyway?

If people or groups want to protect areas they can purchase the land
themselves with their own cash.

It reminds me of that 'protest' in California where all the ''movie stars'
and 'recording artists' are sitting in a tree preventing a vacant lot from
being improved into industrial storage.

They get on TV every day saying the city should buy it and how evil the
landowner is but the truth is that if they were sincere each one of them can
afford individually to purchase the land outright but they 'demand' the
government buy it.

Old June 10th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.backcountry

This is why we have government in the first place. I cannot afford my own
police force, road crew, or annoying bureaucrats to pester my neighbors, so
I get together with everyone else, pay taxes, and together we can buy a host
of both good and bad things. There is, after all, a form of representative
government in most places, so what it buys is, after a fashion, "what
everyone wants".

The same argument, that you are using, could be applied to the city parks
that your children or grandchildren play in, the roads that you drive on or
the school where you learned to read. I imagine that your Hollywood
celebrities would like to see their tax dollars spent on something
worthwhile, as would we all.

Earle

Old June 11th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.backcountry

Default Human footprint maps (was: Trail(er) trash)

R. Lander wrote:
> This is for people who claim there's plenty of wilderness left for [whatever purpose]
>
> http://www.mongabay.com/images/media/footprint.jpg

That map suffers from scale. It's relatively useless other than to
establish an extremely general sense of what you're talking about. For
example, the portions of northern Maine with which I'm familiar and
which would show green on your map are far below the resolution of most
monitors. Nice thought, but it suffers in delivery; better there should
be a map such as this with links to more detailed scale regional
representations.

Agreed, the "footprint of man" is a more apt term than fingerprint or
handprint.

Pete H

Old June 11th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.backcountry

R. Lander wrote:

> Here's a "footprint" map of the entire world. Notice how densely packed
> Europe is. That same blight is creeping across America and it doesn't
> need help from the off-road lobby.
>
> http://www.mongabay.com/images/exter...-11-30_wcs.jpg

What are the criteria of the scale beneath the map? As it sits, they are
meaningless numbers unless some referent be given. And, as with the
North America map, scale prevents any but the most general inferences to
be drawn. Despite "how densely packed" Europe is, it's a richer and more
stable region than, say, India or southeastern China.

Generalities are fine for starters but pretty soon in such a discussion
finer detail is needed.

Pete H

Old June 11th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.backcountry

R. Lander wrote:

> That map is useful if you want it to be. It easily debunks the claim
> that we only use 2 or 3 percent of the land. Those DARK green areas are
> the only lands that have barely been touched.

See my comment about resolution at the scale of the map provided. The
map seems to provide a "goodish" blob of dark green in northern Maine
yet there are only a few hundred acres (in scattered plots) of truly
virgin, old-growth forest; similarly, we have NOWHERE in northern Maine
that is more than five or six miles from the nearest driveable road.
Under those criteria, the map is not a useful item.

Yours in the north Maine woods,
Pete Hilton (Reg. Me. Guide) aka The Ent

Old June 11th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.backcountry

In article >,
billy ray > wrote:
>Why is it necessary to have federally protected wilderness areas anyway?

Precisely because for the same reason that a group of slave owners
argued that slavery was fine, that women didn't need the right to vote,
and loggers and later miners ran rough shod over lands before the early
1800s.

Do us a favor.
If you come down with cancer don't take taxol. It came from a Federally
protected area.

>If people or groups want to protect areas they can purchase the land
>themselves with their own cash.

This has proven insufficient. It's like buying slaves for their
freedom.

>It reminds me of that 'protest' in California where all the ''movie stars'
>and 'recording artists' are sitting in a tree preventing a vacant lot from
>being improved into industrial storage.

Well yes, this part is stupid.

And complete attribution of 160+ lines is unnecessary.

Old June 11th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.backcountry

Earle,

As you know I live in a small village in the center of a protected
wilderness area.

What you may not know is that every few years there are announcements of
park expansion not by governmental seizures of private property but by the
donations by individuals.

But we are not talking about community police and fire protection we are
discussing 'celebrities' demanding the local government buy or seize private
property in the center of an commercial/industrial zone. The owner is
willing to sell and will gladly sell but the most recent offer I heard was
less than 40% of the lands value.

If Joan Baez, Darryl Hannah, Ben Harper, Laura Dern and Danny Glover were
truly committed to the preservation of this particular walnut tree they
would donate the monies to purchase it. Each alone could afford to do it
even without the tax breaks they would receive.

Worse yet is the local police refuse to remove, or arrest these 'stars'
despite a court order for eviction.

.. .

Old June 11th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4,rec.backcountry

In article >,
billy ray > wrote:
>Okay Eugene... let me get this straight.

Sure.

>According to you my opposition to Darryl Hanna and Joan Baez sitting in a
>tree on private property in a commercial/industrial zone is the same as
>justifying slavery and denying women the vote?

Not too far off.

>I will refrain from writing what is going through my mind at this
>comparison. Perhaps we should attribute my disbelief in your sincerity to
>my being a middle aged, middle class, college educated, midwestern male and
>you are obviously a nut.

That's amusing as a middle aged, middle class, college educated,
western-US, non-white male and you are obviously the nut.

>It is doubtful that I will ever be taking Taxol as it is indicated for
>breast cancer which is not all that common in men and, as you should know,

Well pity the guys who do get breast cancer and the other uses of taxol.

>it is your messiah AlGore who wants wrote in his 1992 masterpiece that his
>preference is that women should suffer a horrible and painful death rather
>than take the bark from one tree to make a dose her lifesaving medication.
>
>Please note that these trees are a renewable resource and the Pacific Yew is
>commonly found from northern California to Alaska and as far inland as
>Nevada according to government issued information.
>
>It is not, as far as I am aware, historically, currently, or prospectively a
>federally protected species.

I didn't say protected species.
I said:
>>from a Federally protected area.

>As far as loggers and miners are concerned...... Until you, Teddy, Hilary,
>and John start living in caves and scavenging for food to eat and wearing
>fallen leaves for clothing, and walking for transportation my belief is that
>'you' (collective wackos) are hypocrites. If I own a parcel of land and I
>want to use it or a purpose within the law I expect to be allowed to use it
>even if that use offends you.

Yes, Wal-mart tried that and they got defeated by Manifest Destiny.
Of course they are appealing.

>You want to seize what I have worked to buy and give it to people who refuse
>to work because they have been enslaved by your political beliefs.

I personally have no intention on enslaving you, but I want the Union
(in Lincoln's term) to reserve certain rights.

>Yes, I said enslaved. No one who has gone through a public school in the
>past 50 years has any excuse for not being able to read and write standard
>English, perform simple mathematics, or have a medial command of history.

Oh one of those 3Rs guys? Fine with me.
Get outsourced. It's the 21st century, not the 20th centory any more.

>Your affiliates never had any interest in women's rights or civil rights
>until the scheme was devised to enslave the disenfranchised by paying them
>to make themselves unemployable in exchange for the promise of a government
>check in return for their votes.

Naw, because guys like you put US citizens like my Mom in concentration camps.

Old June 11th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.backcountry

This sounds a little like the ski area operator here, who is actually
running an operation on government land. A neighbor doesn't want skiers and
avalanche control crews on his owned land, so the ski area operator is
getting the County to condemn it for him.

Why pay for something, when you can get it for free?

Earle

Old June 13th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.backcountry

Default Trail(er) trash

"R. Lander" wrote:

> The "respect" for nature shown by offroad enthusiasts is documented by
> all the cans, bottles and wrappers they toss on scenic trails. The
> Rubicon near Lake Tahoe shows how these anthropocentric mouth-breathers
> view the land. They can't be bothered carrying a trash bag and packing
> it out. No room in the Jeep or some other excuse.

Actually, some of the worst places for trash are in wilderness areas,
where the backpackers can't be bothered to carry out a few extra pounds.

Many years ago, I worked for a guy who used to fly his float plane into
some of the alpine lakes around Snoqualmie Pass. He would meet some
people doing trail maintenance (usually a Boy Scout troop) and fly
hundreds of pounds of garbage out. Other than float planes, this area
was inaccessible to vehicular traffic. Then, they converted it to a
wilderness area. No more float planes allowed. Now, the area is like a
cesspool/garbage dump.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Senior staff curmudgeon.