u-joints and ball joints on 93 cherokee sport

Old April 26th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
breton

Default u-joints and ball joints on 93 cherokee sport

Hi all,

I just figured out that my front left u-joint is busted (the one by
the wheel). It is the bearings that are broken and not the actual u-
joint. The other one is binding up a little bit. The jeep is a 93
cherokee sport (v6 4-wheel drive) with 130k in Massachusetts (rust!).
The guy who was looking at mentioned that there was a little bit of
play in the front right left ball joint when leveraged with a crow
bar. I proceeded to get a quote and it totaled up to 1300 dollars for
the both ball and u-joints. Does this sound reasonable (approx. 650
parts and 650 labor)? I'd try to handle the u-joins myself (I've done
water pump, brakes, suspension, etc.) but I do not have any air tools
and I've heard getting the hub/bearing assembly off is really
difficult. Can anyone recommend a good garage in the boston area? I
bought this jeep for a few hundred and I really can't spend so much on
it considering the body has some rot etc. Any help would be
appreciated. I'm not so concerned about having it run like a dream.
I'd just like to make sure it is safe on long drives.

Thanks!!
Breton

Old April 26th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On 26 Apr 2007 14:12:46 -0700, breton > wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I just figured out that my front left u-joint is busted (the one by
>the wheel). It is the bearings that are broken and not the actual u-
>joint. The other one is binding up a little bit. The jeep is a 93
>cherokee sport (v6 4-wheel drive) with 130k in Massachusetts (rust!).
>The guy who was looking at mentioned that there was a little bit of
>play in the front right left ball joint when leveraged with a crow
>bar. I proceeded to get a quote and it totaled up to 1300 dollars for
>the both ball and u-joints. Does this sound reasonable (approx. 650
>parts and 650 labor)? I'd try to handle the u-joins myself (I've done
>water pump, brakes, suspension, etc.) but I do not have any air tools
>and I've heard getting the hub/bearing assembly off is really
>difficult. Can anyone recommend a good garage in the boston area? I
>bought this jeep for a few hundred and I really can't spend so much on
>it considering the body has some rot etc. Any help would be
>appreciated. I'm not so concerned about having it run like a dream.
>I'd just like to make sure it is safe on long drives.
>
>Thanks!!
>Breton

This is just a though but you might be money ahead to swap out the
whole front axle with a good one from a bone yard. It would only take
maybe a few hours of labor at most if mech knew what they were doing
and it would likely cost you less overall. You could tea into that one
and find damage in hub assemble and cost more money to fix and those
ball joints are a pain to change and could cost more in a rust belt
area if they are fused in there with rust.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old April 26th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jeff

breton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just figured out that my front left u-joint is busted (the one by
> the wheel). It is the bearings that are broken and not the actual u-
> joint. The other one is binding up a little bit. The jeep is a 93
> cherokee sport (v6 4-wheel drive) with 130k in Massachusetts (rust!).
> The guy who was looking at mentioned that there was a little bit of
> play in the front right left ball joint when leveraged with a crow
> bar. I proceeded to get a quote and it totaled up to 1300 dollars for
> the both ball and u-joints. Does this sound reasonable (approx. 650
> parts and 650 labor)? I'd try to handle the u-joins myself (I've done
> water pump, brakes, suspension, etc.) but I do not have any air tools
> and I've heard getting the hub/bearing assembly off is really
> difficult. Can anyone recommend a good garage in the boston area? I
> bought this jeep for a few hundred and I really can't spend so much on
> it considering the body has some rot etc. Any help would be
> appreciated. I'm not so concerned about having it run like a dream.
> I'd just like to make sure it is safe on long drives.

Sounds high. Even with new spindles both sides you should be under $300
for parts. Try "Cheap Jeeps" in Framingham. To him a favor by bying a
couple cans of Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster (not wd-40) a couple weeks
before the job and soak everything in the hub area down from the back
side of the wheels several times.

--
jeff
Old April 26th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

breton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just figured out that my front left u-joint is busted (the one by
> the wheel). It is the bearings that are broken and not the actual u-
> joint. The other one is binding up a little bit. The jeep is a 93
> cherokee sport (v6 4-wheel drive) with 130k in Massachusetts (rust!).
> The guy who was looking at mentioned that there was a little bit of
> play in the front right left ball joint when leveraged with a crow
> bar. I proceeded to get a quote and it totaled up to 1300 dollars for
> the both ball and u-joints. Does this sound reasonable (approx. 650
> parts and 650 labor)? I'd try to handle the u-joins myself (I've done
> water pump, brakes, suspension, etc.) but I do not have any air tools
> and I've heard getting the hub/bearing assembly off is really
> difficult. Can anyone recommend a good garage in the boston area? I
> bought this jeep for a few hundred and I really can't spend so much on
> it considering the body has some rot etc. Any help would be
> appreciated. I'm not so concerned about having it run like a dream.
> I'd just like to make sure it is safe on long drives.

Hmm.. on the 93ZJ it's three bolts and the whole axle slides out.

http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/
A new OEM Right shaft is $473
If you have ABS the shaft is only $409
If you have disconnects the shaft is $348

--
DougW

Old April 26th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Have a weekend and a mechanically incline friend?
http://www.billhughes.com/Dana30WheelBearing/index.htm
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=257794
Use lots of penetrating fluid, and maybe a couple extra hub bolts to beat
on, to drive the hub spindle out of the knuckle
http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/axle/ujoint/
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/

ps.com...

Old April 26th 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

Sounds pretty spendy. The XJ should have the standard U joint, not the
cardigan. Replacement U joint runs $10 to $15 plus labor. If the bearing
hub comes out easily, about an hour labor in a good shop. If it comes
out hard (plan on it given the salted roads!!) , a GOOD shop can handle
it without too much extra time. If they don't do these very often, they
might try to get you for 4 hours. That is per side so $200 to $250 for
both sides would not be out of line.

I'm showing $185 for a ball joint set (per side) from
http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/ . Expect half that at NAPA. No idea
on the labor cost.

I'd expect some play in the ball joints, no idea if yours is minor
expected wear, serious wear, or don't drive it until it's fixed wear.

Old April 27th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 22:34:27 GMT, RoyJ > wrote:

> a GOOD shop can handle
>it without too much extra time. If they don't do these very often, they
>might try to get you for 4 hours. That is per side so $200 to $250 for
>both sides would not be out of line.

I doubt that in Boston as I am sure labor cost more for everythime up
there and going rate is likely at least $100 a hour plus repair a
front end that has issues or failures is not the same as normal tear
down plus someone mentioned a 10 or 15 dollars joint up there but not
me, no cheap joints there.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old April 27th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

The hubs tend to rust themselves into the steering knuckles.

Old April 27th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Real Jeeps protect their Universal-Joints via enclosed knuckles:
http://www.billhughes.com/dana25knuckle.jpg And of course being a Dana 25 it
has a bigger ring and pinion than your rear axle Dana 35c.

.. .

Old April 27th 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
breton

Hi all,

Thanks for all of your opinions. I'm trying to get things together.
I'll give the suggested shops a call and see what happens. I really
would prefer not to get rid of this ride... I have to make the sound
choice though...we'll see.

Best,
Breton

On Apr 26, 9:13 pm, "L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III" >
wrote:
> Real Jeeps protect their Universal-Joints via enclosed knuckles:http://www.billhughes.com/dana25knuckle.jpgAnd of course being a Dana 25 it
> has a bigger ring and pinion than your rear axle Dana 35c.
>
> "L.W. (Bill) Hughes III" > wrote in s.com...
>
> > Have a weekend and a mechanically incline friend?
> >http://www.billhughes.com/Dana30WheelBearing/index.htm
> >http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=257794
> > Use lots of penetrating fluid, and maybe a couple extra hub bolts to beat
> > on, to drive the hub spindle out of the knuckle
> >http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/axle/ujoint/
> > God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
> > /

Ball joints-S10... [email protected] Technology 9 March 30th 06 09:52 PM
Help With Ball Joints Packrat46 VW air cooled 7 February 27th 06 03:39 AM
Ball joints Packrat46 VW air cooled 9 February 23rd 06 08:51 AM
Ball Joints 01 TJ Troy Jeep 10 May 17th 05 04:14 AM
Ball joints JS VW air cooled 10 November 23rd 04 06:28 PM