C4 Heater repaired followup..

Old December 27th 05, 04:41 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default C4 Heater repaired followup..

First Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All Here....
I had a stressful Corvette Christmas...

There were a couple of us that C4's heater wouldn't get hot and I decided
to get into it Christmas, it was a very warm day out and sunny, sooooo....

I have a PowerStat in it and I thought I faintly remembered years ago
I had to go back to a stock T-Stat to get he heater to work.. Plus the
coolant
wasn't the cleanest looking. ANd I didn't see any Heater Control Valve on
the outside of the core box area. So my plan of attack was to drain the
coolant
(petcock and T-stat out, not the pain in the ass draining at the knock
sensors),
run some coolant system cleaner and add a Stant 180 deg Stat with new
coolant.

Did the above then letting water flow through the system for around
15-20 minutes.
And buttoned down the T-Stat and added the 50/50 mix of Coolant/Water. Bled
the fittings at the T-Stat Housing and T-Body. While sitting there
running had the
digital readout of temp displayed, it read 198 sitting idling..... Shut
down the engine
and heard boiling in the filler tank....... looked at the gauge and it
read almost pegged......
SOOOO I learned the digital readout and the gauge picks up signals at
different places.

Let it cool off and sure enough it needed more coolant, Guess the new
Stant T-Stat was
stuck then finally opened....... OR with the reverse flow on the LT1 the
water from the
radiator wasn't warm enough to open the T-Stat, even after idling for a
while....
<shrugs shoulders> Weird!!
Filled her up and headed out, got down the road a mile or so and it DIED
after doing the
OptiSpark Lurch...... ARRRRGGGGHHH The Opti got wet.
Tried all afternoon to get it to start, it would just do the Opti spit
and pop. Rounded
up a couple guys in the neighborhood and PUSHED it home, attached the
Battery Charger
......... LOLOL Bought a bottle of Maker's Mark today for a appreciation
gift to them.
We were winded after that long of push... LOLOL

I was nestled on the sofa with visions of $1400 dancing in my head......
LOLOL
I kept at it over the night and finally got it to start and let it run
after it would finally idle
on it's own and monitored the Temp Gauge....... It seemed to level out
around 198-200
and had a HOT HEATER NOW!!!! <golf clap>
Took the chance and drove it to the shop this morning...... Seems OK.
The 94 and up have the Opti with the Vent. <wipes brow>
I remember back in 94 - 95 I used to hose off the engine regularly and
it would spit and sputter
and didn't think anything about it. Til I started reading the Vette
Groups and discovered
I was basically playing with OptiDeath.... Since then the engine just
has to have dirt
and dust on it!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Sooooo if any of you guys with a PowerStat & C4 heater woes, go to a
stock style stat
for the winter.... betcha it works :-)

--
Ric Seyler