CV joints premature wear in 91 Integra

Old November 15th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default CV joints premature wear in 91 Integra

Need suggestions as to why the CV joints in my 91 Integra have both worn out
so quickly.
Had the right side replaced in Sept'05 at 111,500 miles.
Had the left side replaced in Oct'06 at 121,800 miles.
Had BOTH sides replaced Yesterday at 122,800 miles.
The left side was particularly noisy, and you see it wore out in [just over]
1,000 miles !
Is this a problem of the garage using poor quality replacement parts, or is
there something else wrong that is casuing the CV joints to wear out so
fast??

thnx
pb

Old November 15th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Lawrence Glickman

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 14:42:59 -0500, >
wrote:

>Need suggestions as to why the CV joints in my 91 Integra have both worn out
>so quickly.
>Had the right side replaced in Sept'05 at 111,500 miles.
>Had the left side replaced in Oct'06 at 121,800 miles.
>Had BOTH sides replaced Yesterday at 122,800 miles.
>The left side was particularly noisy, and you see it wore out in [just over]
>1,000 miles !
>Is this a problem of the garage using poor quality replacement parts, or is
>there something else wrong that is casuing the CV joints to wear out so
>fast??
>
>thnx
>pb

Just a Wild Assed Guess...

LUBRICANT?!!!!!????

There has to be lube in the CV joints, yeah? I mean, otherwise it is
metal on metal. Inside the rubber boot I mean. Lube. CV Joint Lube
or some similar poo poo.

Lg
WAG the tail

Old November 15th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AZ Nomad

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 14:42:59 -0500, > > wrote:

>Need suggestions as to why the CV joints in my 91 Integra have both worn out
>so quickly.
>Had the right side replaced in Sept'05 at 111,500 miles.
>Had the left side replaced in Oct'06 at 121,800 miles.
>Had BOTH sides replaced Yesterday at 122,800 miles.
>The left side was particularly noisy, and you see it wore out in [just over]
>1,000 miles !
>Is this a problem of the garage using poor quality replacement parts, or is
>there something else wrong that is casuing the CV joints to wear out so
>fast??

More likely the fault is with the driver. Don't accelerate hard when turning
and you won't wear them out so fast.

Old November 15th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
TeGGeR®

:

> Need suggestions as to why the CV joints in my 91 Integra have both
> worn out so quickly.
> Had the right side replaced in Sept'05 at 111,500 miles.
> Had the left side replaced in Oct'06 at 121,800 miles.

'Cause you let the boots split on the originals...

> Had BOTH sides replaced Yesterday at 122,800 miles.
> The left side was particularly noisy, and you see it wore out in [just
> over] 1,000 miles !
> Is this a problem of the garage using poor quality replacement parts,

Yep.

Also, one mistake some mechanics make is forgetting to let some air into
the inner boots after the shafts are installed. Forgetting that causes a
kink in the rubber boot, which splits wide open very rapidly.

Shouldn't have let the original boots split. They can last 300,000 miles.

--
TeGGeR®
Old November 15th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Noozer

> Shouldn't have let the original boots split. They can last 300,000 miles.

By doing... what?

Old November 16th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
TeGGeR®

"Noozer" > wrote in

>> Shouldn't have let the original boots split. They can last 300,000
>> miles.

> By doing... what?

By changing the boots before they split, of course.

Have a peek at them each time you're under there doing an oil change. It
takes about two years from the first sign of cracking to an open split in
the boot. Lotsa time to save your premium-quality OEM Honda CV joints.

A boot change is about the same price as replacing the entire axle with an
aftermarket reman, but if you use new OEM Honda replacement boots, you
might go another ten years with no more trouble. Ever seen aftermarket
remans go ten years without any trouble?

--
TeGGeR®

Old November 20th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
BOB URZ

E Meyer wrote:

> On 11/15/06 2:10 PM, in article
> , "AZ Nomad"
> > wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 14:42:59 -0500, >
> > > wrote:
> >

> >> Need suggestions as to why the CV joints in my 91 Integra have both worn out
> >> so quickly.
> >> Had the right side replaced in Sept'05 at 111,500 miles.
> >> Had the left side replaced in Oct'06 at 121,800 miles.
> >> Had BOTH sides replaced Yesterday at 122,800 miles.
> >> The left side was particularly noisy, and you see it wore out in [just over]
> >> 1,000 miles !
> >> Is this a problem of the garage using poor quality replacement parts, or is
> >> there something else wrong that is casuing the CV joints to wear out so
> >> fast??

> > More likely the fault is with the driver. Don't accelerate hard when turning
> > and you won't wear them out so fast.
> >

> Why would you say that? If he got 111,000+ miles out of the originals and
> only 1,000 on the replacements, it seems obvious that either the replacement
> job was totally botched or they used inferior parts (or both).

Sounds like he got some "spray and pray" replacements.
Rather than remanufactered units, the cores were just cleaned up
with new boots and grease.

Bob

Inbd Wear on One Tire Elle Honda 9 July 26th 06 01:47 AM
Passat premature rear brake wear and handbrake use? Bert Hyman VW water cooled 7 April 7th 06 02:53 AM
Don't buy Dodge justme Dodge 10 July 13th 05 06:40 AM
Unusual tire wear. Could it be due to struts or cv joints? [email protected] Technology 3 June 27th 05 09:22 PM