anti Touareg sentiment

Old September 29th 04, 11:38 PM
Steve Grauman

>Another, more accurate way to put it would be that all of us guys in our
>forties were 21 once, and not that long ago, and we remember very well how
>we knew everything, absolutely everything, about everything.

I really don't feel that way though. I've come to this NG, and others, for
advice. And I've done so knowing that the added experience you guys have is
going to mean something when I get that advice. At the same time, I think we
should all understand that everyone's priorities are a bit different,
regardless of age. And rather than calling me a liar, or claiming that I simply
don't know what I'm talking about, you guys could've simply taken the stance
that the 21 year old doesn't have the same logic you all do, and that's fine.
When I called the TDI a "slug", I wasn't doing it to start a flam war, and I
certainly wasn't trying to troll the board. I was simply voicing my personal
opinion. Compared to my GTi the TDI feels slow, and that's all I meant.
Steve Grauman
Old September 29th 04, 11:39 PM
Steve Grauman

>It's "easier" to appear a fool to a wider audience, now. <g>

J.H., you've made yourself seem a fool here. You don't need magazines or the
internet for it, either.
Steve Grauman
Old September 29th 04, 11:46 PM
Steve Grauman

>Jeez, dude, you seem to be taking this awfully personally.

I'm really not. But I'm terminally frustrated over the few people left that
seem to feel a sports car can't be a sports car without a huge engine to back
it up. We live in the 21st century, and automotive technology has come a long
way. Admittedly, Chevrolet has come a long way in 30 years, and they've turned
a fairly primitive engine into a respectable performance product. I don't think
that this makes turbocharging a bad idea though, and I personally don't feel
like it's a gimmick technology pushed on Americans who don't know any better.

>More obsession with 0-60 times. How does it handle? How communicative
>is the steering? How is its near-limit behavior? Is it
>confidence-inspiring in the twisties? There's more to a car than how
>fast it goes in a straight line.

I agree. Which is why I've used the Legacy 2.5 and WRX STi as examples. They
represent two of the best cars avaliable right now in their respective classes.
Not only are they far quicker than most of the others, they handle, ride and
stop better than most of them too. Of course, for quite some time, handling was
not the strong suit of the Corvette either. And even with the C5s, only Z51
equipped coupes or Z06s were really capable of holding their own aganist the
imports from a handling perspective.

>Um, I would say that comparing a car against a *Pontiac* is setting
>one's sights a bit low, eh?

Not in this case. The new GTO is actually a Holden, an Australian GM that's
generally receieved positive reviews in it's home market. It also happens to be
powered by a version of the 350 that's also powered Corvettes, Camaros and
Firebirds.
Steve Grauman
Old September 30th 04, 05:07 PM
Brian Running

> I wasn't doing it to start a flam war, and I
> certainly wasn't trying to troll the board. I was simply voicing my

personal
> opinion. Compared to my GTi the TDI feels slow, and that's all I meant.
> Steve Grauman

No worries here, mate.

Old October 1st 04, 12:40 AM
Steve Grauman

>No worries here, mate.

I'm glad. I certainly don't want to be the guy on the board that nobody wants
to have a conversation with. You know, like J.H. =)
Steve Grauman
Old October 8th 04, 04:06 PM
aokvw

Returning to this group after several weeks and tracing this thread, it is
hard to believe that my innocent original "anti Touareg sentiment" post
spawned all of this SUV controversy. What a group!!

Mike
om...

Old October 8th 04, 05:14 PM
Brian Running

> Returning to this group after several weeks and tracing this thread, it is
> hard to believe that my innocent original "anti Touareg sentiment" post
> spawned all of this SUV controversy. What a group!!

You're just a natural-born trouble maker, aren't you?

Old October 25th 04, 04:37 AM
Don @ The Travel Store

I have a spare keyless entry for my '99 Passat that I need to program.
Unfortunately I don't have the owner's manual with the instructions. I have
one key that works. The spare key is cut for another car.

Can someone out there provide the details to get the spare working to open
the doors?

Thanks

Old October 25th 04, 09:08 PM
absolute

you need 2 working keys in order to program a remote..1 in the ignition and
1 to lock the door..

--
Absolute Autosales
1010 West Chapel Hill Street

Old November 9th 04, 04:11 PM
Kurt Telep

absolute wrote:
> you need 2 working keys in order to program a remote..1 in the ignition and
> 1 to lock the door..
>
> --
> Absolute Autosales
> 1010 West Chapel Hill Street
> Durham,NC 27701
> (919) 697-0697
> "Don @ The Travel Store" > wrote in message
>
>>I have a spare keyless entry for my '99 Passat that I need to program.
>>Unfortunately I don't have the owner's manual with the instructions. I

> have
>
>>one key that works. The spare key is cut for another car.
>>
>>Can someone out there provide the details to get the spare working to open
>>the doors?
>>
>>Thanks

You don't have to have a Switchblade key tho as the second key, the
Valet key will work, and you can have one cut at the dealership for less
then $10.