VW Golf Door locks keep freezing, best lubricant?

Old December 16th 04, 06:35 PM
ray

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Greg wrote:
>

>>A friend is having a lot of trouble with her door locks freezing on her
>>'96 VW Golf. What is the best lubricant to use on these locks? I've
>>heard good and bad things about silicone and graphite. Somebody also
>>recommended lithium grease. I've been warned from using regular oils
>>and grease because they can attract dirt over time.

> You're getting all kinds of dumb advice (engine antifreeze, insulating
> foam, Dura-Lube oil, etc.). The correct fix is indeed spray silicone
> lube. The CRC brand ("Heavy Duty Silicone") in the red and white can is a
> good kind. The can comes with a straw; push it into the spray head, then
> put the other end into the door lock (past the little flap door) and give
> a few quick spray bursts, moving the straw to spray up, down, and straight
> ahead. Then insert and remove the key several times to distribute the
> silicone on the lock's tumblers, and operate the lock in both directions a
> few times. Repeat for all body locks (doors, hatchback). Then, open the
> doors and hatch and spray the silicone evenly onto the rubber door
> weatherstrips so that the doors don't freeze shut. The silicone's carrier
> will evaporate, leaving the weatherstrips non-greasy but frostproof.
>
> Then, as long as you've got the can out, you can shoot the gas door
> hinges, the latches and hinges for the hood, doors and hatch, the rear
> wiper pivot, the sliding/turning dashboard and steering column controls,
> the antenna...
>
> DS

One other possibility - the mechanism in the door is
rusted/frozen/jammed. The lock itself may be fine, but the linkage
itself gummed up. If spray lube doesn't appear to be working, you may
need to pop the door panel and lube the linkages in there.
Old December 16th 04, 06:53 PM
Joseph Meehan

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Greg wrote:
>
>> A friend is having a lot of trouble with her door locks freezing on
>> her '96 VW Golf. What is the best lubricant to use on these locks?
>> I've heard good and bad things about silicone and graphite.
>> Somebody also recommended lithium grease. I've been warned from
>> using regular oils and grease because they can attract dirt over
>> time.

> You're getting all kinds of dumb advice (engine antifreeze, insulating
> foam, Dura-Lube oil, etc.). The correct fix is indeed spray silicone
> lube. The CRC brand ("Heavy Duty Silicone") in the red and white can
> is a good kind. The can comes with a straw; push it into the spray
> head, then put the other end into the door lock (past the little flap
> door) and give a few quick spray bursts, moving the straw to spray
> up, down, and straight ahead. Then insert and remove the key several
> times to distribute the silicone on the lock's tumblers, and operate
> the lock in both directions a few times. Repeat for all body locks
> (doors, hatchback). Then, open the doors and hatch and spray the
> silicone evenly onto the rubber door weatherstrips so that the doors
> don't freeze shut. The silicone's carrier will evaporate, leaving the
> weatherstrips non-greasy but frostproof.
>
> Then, as long as you've got the can out, you can shoot the gas door
> hinges, the latches and hinges for the hood, doors and hatch, the rear
> wiper pivot, the sliding/turning dashboard and steering column
> controls, the antenna...
>
> DS

As a note, while I don't personally use it the silicone products
mentioned (not all silicone products however) should work well and not cause
problems unless really over done. I know some locksmiths that don't like
silicone, but I believe that is because they have seen other products used.
Some silicone products are mixed with other lubes that are not good.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old December 16th 04, 06:53 PM
Joseph Meehan

Old December 16th 04, 08:10 PM
Biz

"Tom's VR6" > wrote in message
> In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Greg wrote:
>
> >A friend is having a lot of trouble with her door locks freezing on her
> >'96 VW Golf. What is the best lubricant to use on these locks? I've
> >heard good and bad things about silicone and graphite. Somebody also
> >recommended lithium grease. I've been warned from using regular oils
> >and grease because they can attract dirt over time.

> I like to squirt in ethylene glycol antifreeze. If you have a
> syringe, fine.

Its pretty corrosive to the paint, so if you choose to follow this advice,
be aware if you get ANY on the paint it might strip the finish...

Old December 16th 04, 08:10 PM
Biz

Old December 16th 04, 08:20 PM
Tony Bad

"Tom's VR6" > wrote in message

> But then the ethylene glycol has been good for me. I tried both the
> methyl and isopropyl forms of "Heet", but they did not do it for me.
> I think the ethylene glycol residue helps where Heet would
> evaporate.

I agree with this. A squirt of just plain old prestone once a year has served me
well. On the 96 is it more likely the metal will fail and you'll need a new
handle well before the oil or whatever gums it up!

--
Tony Bad

02 Jetta Wagon
01 Eurovan MV
91 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
86 Jetta
79 Rabbit 1.5 Diesel (semi-retired for now)
Schwinn Continental 10 Speed
Radio Flyer Pedal Car (my daughter made me add this)

Old December 16th 04, 08:20 PM
Tony Bad

Old December 16th 04, 08:22 PM
Tony Bad

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Greg wrote:
>
> > A friend is having a lot of trouble with her door locks freezing on her
> > '96 VW Golf. What is the best lubricant to use on these locks? I've
> > heard good and bad things about silicone and graphite. Somebody also
> > recommended lithium grease. I've been warned from using regular oils
> > and grease because they can attract dirt over time.

> You're getting all kinds of dumb advice (engine antifreeze, insulating
> foam, Dura-Lube oil, etc.). The correct fix is indeed spray silicone
> lube.

Your advice was given to me years back, I took it, and the locks still froze.

The "dumb" advice of using engine anti-freeze has worked well for me.

Old December 16th 04, 08:22 PM
Tony Bad

Old December 16th 04, 10:58 PM
Nate Nagel

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Greg wrote:
>

>>A friend is having a lot of trouble with her door locks freezing on her
>>'96 VW Golf. What is the best lubricant to use on these locks? I've
>>heard good and bad things about silicone and graphite. Somebody also
>>recommended lithium grease. I've been warned from using regular oils
>>and grease because they can attract dirt over time.

> You're getting all kinds of dumb advice (engine antifreeze, insulating
> foam, Dura-Lube oil, etc.). The correct fix is indeed spray silicone
> lube. The CRC brand ("Heavy Duty Silicone") in the red and white can is a
> good kind. The can comes with a straw; push it into the spray head, then
> put the other end into the door lock (past the little flap door) and give
> a few quick spray bursts, moving the straw to spray up, down, and straight
> ahead. Then insert and remove the key several times to distribute the
> silicone on the lock's tumblers, and operate the lock in both directions a
> few times. Repeat for all body locks (doors, hatchback). Then, open the
> doors and hatch and spray the silicone evenly onto the rubber door
> weatherstrips so that the doors don't freeze shut. The silicone's carrier
> will evaporate, leaving the weatherstrips non-greasy but frostproof.
>
> Then, as long as you've got the can out, you can shoot the gas door
> hinges, the latches and hinges for the hood, doors and hatch, the rear
> wiper pivot, the sliding/turning dashboard and steering column controls,
> the antenna...
>
> DS

One caveat about silicone is that it makes it damn near impossible to
ever repaint the car without using a fisheye preventer, as the stuff
never completely goes away. Whether that's a concern or not to most
people I don't know. If you *do* use silicone and end up having any
body work done, I would definitely advise the painter that you have used
silicone products on the car.

I just did exactly what DS describes to the Porsche last night, FWIW -
looks like it might be gasket freezin' season in a couple weeks. I also
tried an experiment - I coated the squishy rubber rear spoiler in
silicone as well, I am curious to see if it keeps it from attracting
dust and dirt unlike my usual regimen of tire dressing.

Personally, I prefer to soak a paper towel with the silicone and then
*wipe* it onto the seals as I don't like to spray it anywhere near
windows nor is it a particularly good thing to get indiscriminately all
over one's paint. For the seals, a tube of silicone grease might be a
better product to use, but I've never gotten around to purchasing one.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

A2 Golf - cheapest Euro lights? Nate Nagel VW water cooled 12 December 10th 04 02:13 AM
Golf vs. GTI dmkozak VW water cooled 15 October 9th 04 08:25 PM
2 Door Golf TDI Mr.Eddy VW water cooled 12 October 8th 04 01:03 AM