"warranty" on a '97 TJ (long)

Old April 8th 05, 03:18 PM
HG97TJ

Default "warranty" on a '97 TJ (long)

Well after selling my YJ back in 2001 I've been trying to figure a way
to get back into a Jeep ever since. I finally did it a few weeks ago
without selling my wife, her car or the two kids and landed a 97 TJ
sport from a dealer. Upon taking the Jeep to my local mechanic for PA
inspections (purchase was in NJ) he noticed a noise coming from the
rear diff and after taking it apart realized the bearings and one axle
shaft were pitted and worn and would need to be replaced. Obviously
not something I heard during the test drive or ride home. I was not
that concerned as the dealer included a Powertrain warranty in the deal
which included coverage on "all lubricated parts in the differential".

So I call the warranty company with a description on the problem and
they send an adjuster to look at the rear. After taking pictures and
writing the report they confirm what the mechanic found that the pinion
bearings and axle shaft would need to be replaced and this type of
repair is typically covered. (estimated between $800-$1000 by my
mechanic) However the claims adjuster states that this was a
pre-existing condition at the time of sale and there is nothing they
can do for me. So now I figure I'm screwed. After settling down I can
see the warranty company's point. They probably see cases like this a
lot.

Next step, the dealer. Much to my surprise I call the dealer and
explain the situation and they say bring it in we'll take care of it!
Not only that, they offered to come tow it from my mechanic to their
shop (50 miles). Too good to be true? We'll see, but I am going to
give them a shot at repairing it as there will be no money out pocket,
yet and they seem to be willing to make good on this deal. There's no
doubt there's some risk involved buying used and I've learned some
lessons for the next time. I have to believe the dealer was aware of
the rear diff issue and was pushing the burden to the warranty company
to save a buck.

Hopefully in a week or so I'll be happily driving the TJ around waving
to the rest of you again...(hopefully no poorer than I already am) !!!

Hope to be Jeepin soon!!!

Old April 8th 05, 03:29 PM
FrankW

LOL.... That is soooo typical of a warranty company.
How does the Adjuster know it was a pre-existing condition.

Reminds me when I brought my jeep in to get the
power steering box fixed of it's leak from the main
input shaft. The Service Representative advised that
I should replace the whole box rather than the seal
"In case it starts to leak again".... I laughed and said
that it might be safer to replace the whole Jeep instead.

Old April 8th 05, 03:38 PM
HG97TJ

How did the adjuster know it was a pre-existing condition? Just on the
basis that those parts wear out over time and could not have happened
in the 50 miles that I drove it home. Just an excuse that gets them
out of paying for it!

Old April 8th 05, 03:48 PM
JimG

If plan to get bigger tires, now is the time to re-gear. The will have to
reset the pinion anyway. They would enjoy making money on the front.

--
JimG
80' CJ-7 258 CID, HEI

00' TJ Sport 4.0L, 5sp
4.56 Gears, TrueTrac rear
33" BFG AT on 15x8 Eagle Alloys
D35 Rear, D30 Front. 3" Suspension Lift

Old April 8th 05, 05:54 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Give your Stealership a plug.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old April 8th 05, 05:58 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You can bet pieces from a broken axle will not be completely
flushed out and will end up in the pinion bearings.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/