Where has everyone gone?

Old May 16th 10, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Wiley Post

Default Where has everyone gone?

For me a big problem is that I have been losing access to netnews. My
employer (a major telecom company) took away most access over security
concerns and my personal Internet provider, Verizon, did the same thing.
Using news.aioe.org currently which some time back was unavailable for
months.

WP

Old May 31st 10, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
TBerk

On Apr 26, 12:03*am, tonyw > wrote:
> Hi,
> * *rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled used to be quite an active group....

VW Vortex must be the 'main place' these days, and I say that in spite
of the recent forum drama they have been going through.

I'm usually lurking over there and on an email list spec'd to a
certain model of car.

But, here I am, reading and replying to this thread.

Actually I came in search of help w/ Digifant and an 89 Jetta. (It's
got Previous Owner's Syndrome coupled with the current owner not being
a gear-head.)

In any case, "Hello Everybody!".

TBerk
Old June 7th 10, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
In2hoppn[_2_]

Hey TBerk, and everyone else! Was just hitting the groups for a chevy
problem and saw this group highlighted for a thread I had flagged. Only
been a little over a month since last time I was here. Not bad for these
days. Definitely not like the old days ; ). VW's, along with all the rest
(chevy right now for me) seems to be viewed by many to match the economy and
the rest of world events... they all kinda suck... but we try to still have
a little fun and humor along the way!

Old June 17th 11, 11:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
In2hoppn[_2_]

Default Where has everyone gone? And everyone else!

LOL!
Over a year later and I come back to find this thread still almost at the
top of the list.
Where had everyone gone????
Don't know, but seems everyone, and everyone that was left, has now gone!

Old June 17th 11, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
LM[_3_]

I dunno, maybe Dubs have stopped breaking?!?!?!?

news:vsqdnZqJWLnstGbQnZ2dnUVZ_gqdnZ2d@metrocastcab levision.com...

Old June 17th 11, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

On 6/17/2011 1:33 PM, LM wrote:
> I dunno, maybe Dubs have stopped breaking?!?!?!?
>
> > wrote in message
> news:vsqdnZqJWLnstGbQnZ2dnUVZ_gqdnZ2d@metrocastcab levision.com...
>> LOL!
>> Over a year later and I come back to find this thread still almost at the
>> top of the list.
>> Where had everyone gone????
>> Don't know, but seems everyone, and everyone that was left, has now gone!

Well, mine rarely breaks... (snicker, snicker)

OK, so it is an 88 with 46K miles, so it hasn't been driven that much.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Old June 18th 11, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
HerHusband

>> Where had everyone gone????

Newsgroups in general have really dropped off in recent years. I think a
lot of this is due to ISP's dropping newsgroups from their services (like
my Comcast did). Most people aren't willing or able to find other news
servers.

I still check this group daily, but there's not much traffic here.

Most of the time I go to the VW Vortex forums when I need advice or just
want to chat with other VW fans.

Anthony
Old June 18th 11, 12:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

On 6/17/2011 9:57 PM, HerHusband wrote:
>>> Where had everyone gone????

> Newsgroups in general have really dropped off in recent years. I think a
> lot of this is due to ISP's dropping newsgroups from their services (like
> my Comcast did). Most people aren't willing or able to find other news
> servers.
>
> I still check this group daily, but there's not much traffic here.
>
> Most of the time I go to the VW Vortex forums when I need advice or just
> want to chat with other VW fans.
>
> Anthony

The decline of NNTP is a fact. My ISP closed (WTF?) a few weeks ago,
leaving us all out 'in the cold' so to speak. I had been using their
NNTP servers, but they pulled the plugs on them as one of their first acts.

Now I'm stuck (at least for now) with AIOE, which sorta works. I won't
pay for NNTP so my choices are limited. Oh, well.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Old June 18th 11, 04:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
HerHusband

> Now I'm stuck (at least for now) with AIOE, which sorta works.
> I won't pay for NNTP so my choices are limited. Oh, well.

I switched to Motzeralla (now called Eternal September) when my ISP shut
down it's NNTP services:

http://eternal-september.org/

Their NNTP services have worked great for me, but they only carry the text
newsgroups. If you need the binary groups you will need to look elsewhere.
I was only using one binary group (woodworking pics), so it wasn't a huge
loss.

Anthony
Old June 18th 11, 06:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
LM[_3_]

Yeah, when mine shut down, someone here pointed me towards
eternal-september. Works great for my auto newsgroups.