Ghost in a Ranger Radio

Old January 18th 08, 02:11 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_2_]

Default Ghost in a Ranger Radio

This is an odd one -

My Mother has a 9 year old Ranger that she uses around our farm. It is no
longer an everyday truck, and is driven only 20 or 30 miles a week. Recently
the radio stopped consistently turning off when the ignition is switched
off. Sometimes it goes off sometimes it does not. This morning when I first
left her house and walked by the Ranger, the radio was off. When I came back
about 30 minutes later, I heard a radio playing in the driveway - sure
enough the radio in the Ranger had turned itself on, but the ignition was
off (and the key not even in the Ranger). I am assuming the problem is in
the radio itself. Before I start tearing things apart, I thought I see if
anyone else had seen a problem like this...

Ed

Old January 18th 08, 02:18 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech
Jeff[_3_]

C. E. White wrote:
> This is an odd one -
>
> My Mother has a 9 year old Ranger that she uses around our farm. It is no
> longer an everyday truck, and is driven only 20 or 30 miles a week. Recently
> the radio stopped consistently turning off when the ignition is switched
> off. Sometimes it goes off sometimes it does not. This morning when I first
> left her house and walked by the Ranger, the radio was off. When I came back
> about 30 minutes later, I heard a radio playing in the driveway - sure
> enough the radio in the Ranger had turned itself on, but the ignition was
> off (and the key not even in the Ranger). I am assuming the problem is in
> the radio itself. Before I start tearing things apart, I thought I see if
> anyone else had seen a problem like this...
>
> Ed

Could it be a bad ignition switch? I mean the one that the keys turn.

Jeff
Old January 18th 08, 02:53 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_2_]

"Jeff" > wrote in message
> C. E. White wrote:
>> This is an odd one -
>>
>> My Mother has a 9 year old Ranger that she uses around our farm. It is no
>> longer an everyday truck, and is driven only 20 or 30 miles a week.
>> Recently the radio stopped consistently turning off when the ignition is
>> switched off. Sometimes it goes off sometimes it does not. This morning
>> when I first left her house and walked by the Ranger, the radio was off.
>> When I came back about 30 minutes later, I heard a radio playing in the
>> driveway - sure enough the radio in the Ranger had turned itself on, but
>> the ignition was off (and the key not even in the Ranger). I am assuming
>> the problem is in the radio itself. Before I start tearing things apart,
>> I thought I see if anyone else had seen a problem like this...
>>
>> Ed

> Could it be a bad ignition switch? I mean the one that the keys turn.

I don't believe so; all the other accessories turn off as normal. I am
guessing it is in the actual radio since the radio has an always hot feed
(to keep the clock alive).

Ed

Old January 18th 08, 03:09 PM posted to alt.autos.ford, alt.trucks.ford, rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Jan 18, 9:00 am, Steve B. > wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:11:06 -0500, "C. E. White"
>

> > wrote:
> >This is an odd one -

> >My Mother has a 9 year old Ranger that she uses around our farm. It is no
> >longer an everyday truck, and is driven only 20 or 30 miles a week. Recently
> >the radio stopped consistently turning off when the ignition is switched
> >off. Sometimes it goes off sometimes it does not. This morning when I first
> >left her house and walked by the Ranger, the radio was off. When I came back
> >about 30 minutes later, I heard a radio playing in the driveway - sure
> >enough the radio in the Ranger had turned itself on, but the ignition was
> >off (and the key not even in the Ranger). I am assuming the problem is in
> >the radio itself. Before I start tearing things apart, I thought I see if
> >anyone else had seen a problem like this...

> >Ed

> The radio stops playing when you turn off the ignition switch because
> it is no longer receiving power. Sounds like the radio is fine, but
> whatever cuts the power to the radio is not. Normally this would be a
> bad ignition switch but I don't know your particular vehicle so can't
> say if their is a computer or relays involved.
>
> Steve B.

Some modern radios have TWO power connections, one for most of the
radio functions, and a second just to keep the station selection
storage and the clock functioning. It might be possible for the
internal workings of the radio to develop some sort of misconnection
(short) inside that applies power from the memory circuitry to get
into the main functions.

That is similar to modern TVs. As long as they are plugged into
wall, they are drawing power to run the internal clock and channel
selection memory. The power switch operates only the higher power
circuitry that actually recieves, processes, and displays the video
and audio.
Old January 18th 08, 03:17 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:53:37 -0500, "C. E. White" > wrote:

>"Jeff" > wrote in message
>> C. E. White wrote:
>>> This is an odd one -
>>>
>>> My Mother has a 9 year old Ranger that she uses around our farm. It is no
>>> longer an everyday truck, and is driven only 20 or 30 miles a week.
>>> Recently the radio stopped consistently turning off when the ignition is
>>> switched off. Sometimes it goes off sometimes it does not. This morning
>>> when I first left her house and walked by the Ranger, the radio was off.
>>> When I came back about 30 minutes later, I heard a radio playing in the
>>> driveway - sure enough the radio in the Ranger had turned itself on, but
>>> the ignition was off (and the key not even in the Ranger). I am assuming
>>> the problem is in the radio itself. Before I start tearing things apart,
>>> I thought I see if anyone else had seen a problem like this...
>>>
>>> Ed

>> Could it be a bad ignition switch? I mean the one that the keys turn.

>I don't believe so; all the other accessories turn off as normal. I am
>guessing it is in the actual radio since the radio has an always hot feed
>(to keep the clock alive).
>
>Ed

Does the power switch on the radio itself shut it off? Is it a factory installed
radio ? Shorts in add-ons ( trailer hitch lighting , fog lights , plow rig lighting,
or add on electronics) might cause this situation.
If the on/off switch on the radio does turn it off ,,when you find it on when you think
it should be off I would , then I'd say it's the ignition switch. If the radio can't be
turned off with its switch then I'd say the radio.
There are two ( sometimes more / power ant. ) HOTS feeding radios , the keep alive
feeding the clock function and station memory. and the power ON which is feed through
the ing. key switch.

Old January 18th 08, 03:24 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech
Jeff[_3_]

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:
> On Jan 18, 9:00 am, Steve B. > wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:11:06 -0500, "C. E. White"
>>

>> > wrote:
>>> This is an odd one -
>>> My Mother has a 9 year old Ranger that she uses around our farm. It is no
>>> longer an everyday truck, and is driven only 20 or 30 miles a week. Recently
>>> the radio stopped consistently turning off when the ignition is switched
>>> off. Sometimes it goes off sometimes it does not. This morning when I first
>>> left her house and walked by the Ranger, the radio was off. When I came back
>>> about 30 minutes later, I heard a radio playing in the driveway - sure
>>> enough the radio in the Ranger had turned itself on, but the ignition was
>>> off (and the key not even in the Ranger). I am assuming the problem is in
>>> the radio itself. Before I start tearing things apart, I thought I see if
>>> anyone else had seen a problem like this...
>>> Ed

>> The radio stops playing when you turn off the ignition switch because
>> it is no longer receiving power. Sounds like the radio is fine, but
>> whatever cuts the power to the radio is not. Normally this would be a
>> bad ignition switch but I don't know your particular vehicle so can't
>> say if their is a computer or relays involved.
>>
>> Steve B.

> Some modern radios have TWO power connections, one for most of the
> radio functions, and a second just to keep the station selection
> storage and the clock functioning. It might be possible for the
> internal workings of the radio to develop some sort of misconnection
> (short) inside that applies power from the memory circuitry to get
> into the main functions.
>
> That is similar to modern TVs. As long as they are plugged into
> wall, they are drawing power to run the internal clock and channel
> selection memory.

Actually, the clock and channel selection memory don't require the set
to be plugged in. It needs to be plugged in and draws power so that it
can be turned on by the remote control. So you can turn off the tv with
a power strip, which save a few watts of electricity. If everyone did
this, the added power savings would be several megawatts and energy
savings would be something like 10% of all electricity energy. And
remember, this ends up as waste heat, which is often pumped out by air
conditioners.

> The power switch operates only the higher power
> circuitry that actually recieves, processes, and displays the video
> and audio.

That's true. But the low-power circuitry and the transformer still use a
lot of power, especially considering that the power usage has very
little benefit.

Jeff
Old January 18th 08, 03:35 PM posted to alt.autos.ford, alt.trucks.ford, rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Jan 18, 10:24*am, Jeff > wrote:
> Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:
>

> > On Jan 18, 9:00 am, Steve B. > wrote:
> >> On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:11:06 -0500, "C. E. White"

> >> The radio stops playing when you turn off the ignition switch because
> >> it is no longer receiving power. *Sounds like the radio is fine, but
> >> whatever cuts the power to the radio is not. *Normally this would be a
> >> bad ignition switch but I don't know your particular vehicle so can't
> >> say if their is *a computer or relays involved.

> >> * * * * * *Steve B.

> > Some modern radios have TWO power connections, one for most of the
> > radio functions, and a second just to keep the station selection
> > storage and the clock functioning. It might be possible for the
> > internal workings of the radio to develop some sort of misconnection
> > (short) inside that applies power from the memory circuitry to get
> > into the main functions.

> > That is similar to *modern TVs. *As long as they are plugged into
> > wall, they are drawing power to run the internal clock and channel
> > selection memory.

> Actually, the clock and channel selection memory don't require the set
> to be plugged in. It needs to be plugged in and draws power so that it
> can be turned on by the remote control. So you can turn off the tv with
> a power strip, which save a few watts of electricity. If everyone did
> this, the added power savings would be several megawatts and energy
> savings would be something like 10% of all electricity energy. And
> remember, this ends up as waste heat, which is often pumped out by air
> conditioners.
>
> > *The power switch operates only the higher power
> > circuitry that actually recieves, processes, and displays the video
> > and audio.

> That's true. But the low-power circuitry and the transformer still use a
> lot of power, especially considering that the power usage has very
> little benefit.
>
> Jeff- Hide quoted text -

___________________
Or very simply, the main power supply to the radio itself is loose/bad
at one end or both.

-CC
Old January 18th 08, 04:01 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech
Rodan

C. E. White wrote: ( 1999 Ford Ranger )

The radio does not always turn off when the ignition is switched off.
Sometimes it goes off, sometimes not. And this morning I walked by
and the radio was off, but later, I heard music outside - the radio had
turned itself on, with the ignition off and the key out. I am assuming
the problem is in the radio. Before I start tearing things apart, has
anyone else seen a problem like this...

If it was a defective ignition switch, other accessories or dash instruments
would also go on. There is a small possibility that it is a cross-connection
with the always-on memory power supply. A third possibility is a defective
power antenna. The antenna has a separate always-on power connection
to retract itself when power from the radio is turned off. If the antenna
power becomes accidentally cross-connected to the radio's antenna deploy
line, it will keep the radio on. When the ghost radio is on, disconnect the
power plug to the antenna. If the radio then goes off, that is the problem.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Old January 18th 08, 06:57 PM posted to alt.autos.ford, alt.trucks.ford, rec.autos.tech

On Jan 18, 9:11 am, "C. E. White" > wrote:
> This is an odd one -
>
> My Mother has a 9 year old Ranger that she uses around our farm. It is no
> longer an everyday truck, and is driven only 20 or 30 miles a week. Recently
> the radio stopped consistently turning off when the ignition is switched
> off. Sometimes it goes off sometimes it does not. This morning when I first
> left her house and walked by the Ranger, the radio was off. When I came back
> about 30 minutes later, I heard a radio playing in the driveway - sure
> enough the radio in the Ranger had turned itself on, but the ignition was
> off (and the key not even in the Ranger). I am assuming the problem is in
> the radio itself. Before I start tearing things apart, I thought I see if
> anyone else had seen a problem like this...
>
> Ed

Perhaps this year ranger had that feature where you could shut the
engine off and the radio would play until you opened the door, and the
relay that controlled this is buggered?

Dave
Old January 19th 08, 12:32 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech
Fred[_9_]

My radio in the Jeep does this. In my case its the radio.
Fred

Ghost rattle...99 M3 David Hageman BMW 5 July 13th 07 10:04 PM
Aftermarket radio for 99 Ford Ranger / Mazda B2500 [email protected] Technology 10 January 23rd 07 06:28 PM
Horn ghost M Warren BMW 5 September 20th 05 10:15 PM
ghost in the machine k8ezman Chrysler 0 April 9th 05 03:42 PM