Horn wiring question

Old March 15th 05, 07:06 PM
Tunafish

Default Horn wiring question

Finally got around to investigating why the horn doesn't work on my '69
beetle - the earth wire from the horn has been cut by the previous owner! I
assume this wire attaches to either somewhere on the outer tube of the
steering column or thereabouts....? The horn rim earths the outer with the
inner which is connected to the steering box...that's my take on it anyways!
It's too dark to see now so I'll tackle it tomorrow.

--Steve

Old March 15th 05, 09:19 PM
Speedy Jim

Tunafish wrote:

> Finally got around to investigating why the horn doesn't work on my '69
> beetle - the earth wire from the horn has been cut by the previous owner! I
> assume this wire attaches to either somewhere on the outer tube of the
> steering column or thereabouts....? The horn rim earths the outer with the
> inner which is connected to the steering box...that's my take on it anyways!
> It's too dark to see now so I'll tackle it tomorrow.
>
> --Steve

Right on! There is a tab on the very bottom of the outer tube
for the wire connector. It's under the fuel tank and hard to see.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old March 15th 05, 11:10 PM
Mike West

Could you splain this again?

Horn on my 66 has two terminals. One goes to the tab on the base of the
steering column tube(brawn?) Other goes where? My car came without a horn
connected and I sure don't like not being able to at least let some of the
other drivers know I am there!

Thanks, Mike

Chopped 66 bug

Old March 15th 05, 11:23 PM
Shag

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:10:51 -0600, "Mike West" >
wrote:

>Could you splain this again?
>
>Horn on my 66 has two terminals. One goes to the tab on the base of the
>steering column tube(brawn?) Other goes where? My car came without a horn
>connected and I sure don't like not being able to at least let some of the
>other drivers know I am there!
>
>Thanks, Mike
>
>Chopped 66 bug

http://thebugshop.org/bsfqhorn.htm
Be sure to read about the idiot with the chain-link steering wheel.
ha!

---
"There's nothing wrong with a little shooting as long as the right people get shot."
- Inspector Harry Callahan
Old March 15th 05, 11:47 PM
Speedy Jim

Mike West wrote:
> Could you splain this again?
>
> Horn on my 66 has two terminals. One goes to the tab on the base of the
> steering column tube(brawn?) Other goes where?

Fuse #1.

Download a color diagram he
http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring.html

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old March 16th 05, 12:28 AM
Tim Rogers

"Shag" > wrote in message

> http://thebugshop.org/bsfqhorn.htm
> Be sure to read about the idiot with the chain-link steering wheel.
> ha!

...........That chromed chain steering wheel was when you first revealed your
disturbing lack of aesthetic morals and that smiley face on the door sucked
too.........lol

timmy

Old March 16th 05, 12:45 AM
Shag

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:28:55 -0500, "Tim Rogers" >
wrote:

>"Shag" > wrote in message
.. .

>> http://thebugshop.org/bsfqhorn.htm
>> Be sure to read about the idiot with the chain-link steering wheel.
>> ha!
>>

>..........That chromed chain steering wheel was when you first revealed your
>disturbing lack of aesthetic morals and that smiley face on the door sucked
>too.........lol
>

>timmy

I just checked RAMVA and saw there was one response to my post (above)
and thought to myself "I'll bet Tim had something 'smart' to say."
You're too predictable. :-)
ps- I still have the steering wheel. It's hanging over the garage
door. Watching... waiting...
http://www.employees.org/~travist/fortim.jpg
MUAHAHAHAHAHA!
(Yes, I'm bored.)

---
Old March 16th 05, 01:05 AM
Tim Rogers

"Shag" > wrote in message

> I just checked RAMVA and saw there was one response to my post (above)
> and thought to myself "I'll bet Tim had something 'smart' to say."
> You're too predictable. :-)
> ps- I still have the steering wheel. It's hanging over the garage
> door. Watching... waiting...
> http://www.employees.org/~travist/fortim.jpg
> MUAHAHAHAHAHA!
> (Yes, I'm bored.)

.....................See if it'll fit your wife's Honda.

Old March 16th 05, 01:14 AM
Shag

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:05:35 -0500, "Tim Rogers" >
wrote:

>"Shag" > wrote in message
.. .

>> I just checked RAMVA and saw there was one response to my post (above)
>> and thought to myself "I'll bet Tim had something 'smart' to say."
>> You're too predictable. :-)
>> ps- I still have the steering wheel. It's hanging over the garage
>> door. Watching... waiting...
>> http://www.employees.org/~travist/fortim.jpg
>> MUAHAHAHAHAHA!
>> (Yes, I'm bored.)
>>

>....................See if it'll fit your wife's Honda.

I think I'll just post it for sale on ebay and give a link to the
bugadventures site to give the history behind it. I could probably
make MILLIONS... hmmmm....... I still have the rear apron from what
eventually became the LCB... I wonder how much I could get for
that...

---
Old March 17th 05, 11:02 AM
Phatman

As Speedy Jim says one horn terminal goes straight to #1 fuse. It's the
other one, the earthing lead that trips people (like me!) up. I now know it
goes via the luggage compartment to the steering column outer tube right at
the top. The wire that the silver horn rim is connected to goes down the
middle of the steering tube exits at the bottom and connects to a steering
coupling bolt where it 'jumps' the rubber ring and earths with the steering
box bearings. A short jumper wire was used to bridge the rubber coupling on
my previous 1970 bug. Like most jobs on a beetle expect to lie on your back
and contort your body! :-) I've just replaced the tranny oil that was a pain
in the neck.

--Steve

Horn malfunction private Saturn 7 February 16th 05 04:12 PM
Car horn question [email protected] Technology 7 December 27th 04 04:35 AM
Horn Wiring Hell - Escaped Spike VW air cooled 0 November 14th 04 05:37 PM
1995 Honda Passport - Wiring harness - Technical Question ajpdla Honda 0 November 1st 04 03:40 PM
Replacing Horn 96 Saturn (Wiring and Access) Clive Hayward Saturn 2 September 6th 04 11:00 PM