How long to replace a hose?

Old December 5th 05, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default How long to replace a hose?

I forgot to add, I have a 1998 sl2. I've had this car for 31/2 yrs and
this is the first time I had a problem.

Old December 5th 05, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

There are a couple of hoses running from your rad to the engine. One at
the bottom of the rad and one at the top.
The one at the top is obviously much easier to replace but the idea is
the same.
First thing you need to do is drain your coolant into a clean
container, the rad should have a little drain screw at the bottom of
it.
I'm not sure what sort of clamps they use in the 98 Saturns but in my
92 SL1 they are spring loaded and require channel lock pliers to loosen
up the tension and move them out of the way.
Using channel lock pliers, remove the clamps holding the subject hose
to the rad and the engine. Just grab the clamps and move them back a
bit, about 2 inches.
Remove hose, then remove the clamps off that hose and put them onto the
new hose.
Install the hose, move clamps into position and you're almost done.
Pour your coolant back into the equalizing reservoir and start the car
to let it warm up and get the circulation going. Top if up as needed
with 50/50 solution of distilled water and antifireeze.
It shouldn't take you more than an hour to do this.

Alex

Old December 6th 05, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

"tbaby" > typed until their fingers bled, and came up
with:

> I forgot to add, I have a 1998 sl2. I've had this car for 31/2 yrs and
> this is the first time I had a problem.

Check the waterpump first, and if it as a 5-speed, check the end caps on
the radiator.

--
Visit the Saturn Performance Club - http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com
Old December 6th 05, 04:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

The end tanks on the radiator are plastic, and if you live in an area with
harsh weather, they eventually crack. I'd guess it's due to the repeated
cycling between temperature extremes. I recently had to replace mine due to
this. You'll see coolant leaking down and dripping off of the black plastic
tank if that is the case.

A few years after I bought the car, the water pump bearings also started to
go bad and leaking began in that area.

My bet is on your end tanks and not a hose.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com