instrument cluster dies, then comes for a minute, then dies for several minutes, repeat...

Old June 30th 07, 12:35 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.pontiac,alt.autos.oldsmobile

Default instrument cluster dies, then comes for a minute, then dies for several minutes, repeat...

hello-
i have a 99 olds alero 3.4, 80k miles.
engine runs well for the most part, although subpar mpg.

the problem is that the instrument panel, power windows and ac blower
are not operating. the gauges (tachometer, fuel, temp, speed) are
stuck on zero, and the panel lights dont work. the hvac blower will
not turn on, the windows wont go up or down. after ten minutes of
driving the blower (if the knob is turned up) and instrument panel
will suddenly turn on for a minute or so, then die. this cycle will
repeat.

these symptoms first started out once a week, but now have escalated
to all the time. finally, dtc codes p1665 and p1676 set (with engine
check light coming on).

the stereo, courtesy lights, door locks, head lights, engine, work
fine.

i suspect the problem is a bad ground, loose/poor connection, and the
troublecodes dealing with the EVAP system are just symptoms of the
universal problem.

any advice?

tags: gauges, panel, cluster, blower, fan, dtc, codes, "service
engine", "check engine light", bad, poor, ground, connection, windows,
lights, dark, die, died, off, fail, stop, off,

Old June 30th 07, 01:54 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.pontiac,alt.autos.oldsmobile
Les Benn

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> hello-
> i have a 99 olds alero 3.4, 80k miles.
> engine runs well for the most part, although subpar mpg.
>
> the problem is that the instrument panel, power windows and ac blower
> are not operating. the gauges (tachometer, fuel, temp, speed) are
> stuck on zero, and the panel lights dont work. the hvac blower will
> not turn on, the windows wont go up or down. after ten minutes of
> driving the blower (if the knob is turned up) and instrument panel
> will suddenly turn on for a minute or so, then die. this cycle will
> repeat.
>
> these symptoms first started out once a week, but now have escalated
> to all the time. finally, dtc codes p1665 and p1676 set (with engine
> check light coming on).
>
> the stereo, courtesy lights, door locks, head lights, engine, work
> fine.
>
> i suspect the problem is a bad ground, loose/poor connection, and the
> troublecodes dealing with the EVAP system are just symptoms of the
> universal problem.
>
> any advice?
>

> tags: gauges, panel, cluster, blower, fan, dtc, codes, "service
> engine", "check engine light", bad, poor, ground, connection, windows,
> lights, dark, die, died, off, fail, stop, off,

Get a wiring Diagram. Find where the problem circuits and good circuits are
different. trace down each wire and find the one that is loose that would
shut off all the circuits that don't work.

Old June 30th 07, 02:13 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.pontiac,alt.autos.oldsmobile
Mike Romain

The main body ground is a mesh strap that runs from a tranny bellhousing
bolt to the body usually on GM's.

A secondary one runs from the battery negative to the body by the
battery. A symptom of the main ground dead will be the small one by the
battery first melting the insulation, then cooking.

I also think the frame has a ground strap across an engine mount, but am
not sure where.

The vehicle can 'steal' some ground and run sometimes, but....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...

> hello-
> i have a 99 olds alero 3.4, 80k miles.
> engine runs well for the most part, although subpar mpg.
>
> the problem is that the instrument panel, power windows and ac blower
> are not operating. the gauges (tachometer, fuel, temp, speed) are
> stuck on zero, and the panel lights dont work. the hvac blower will
> not turn on, the windows wont go up or down. after ten minutes of
> driving the blower (if the knob is turned up) and instrument panel
> will suddenly turn on for a minute or so, then die. this cycle will
> repeat.
>
> these symptoms first started out once a week, but now have escalated
> to all the time. finally, dtc codes p1665 and p1676 set (with engine
> check light coming on).
>
> the stereo, courtesy lights, door locks, head lights, engine, work
> fine.
>
> i suspect the problem is a bad ground, loose/poor connection, and the
> troublecodes dealing with the EVAP system are just symptoms of the
> universal problem.
>
> any advice?
>

> tags: gauges, panel, cluster, blower, fan, dtc, codes, "service
> engine", "check engine light", bad, poor, ground, connection, windows,
> lights, dark, die, died, off, fail, stop, off,

Converted 65 instrument cluster to 66 5 gauge cluster but have wiring problem! THE23MAN Ford Mustang 5 February 11th 06 07:00 PM
just dies biggd4595 4x4 1 October 24th 05 04:56 PM
Engine dies after few minutes Krystian Lelek Technology 14 May 30th 05 03:15 PM
Car Dies No Power [email protected] Dodge 2 February 9th 05 02:56 AM
dies fiestarv Dodge 2 December 14th 04 01:01 AM