98 Explorer AWD 5.0 V8

Old September 20th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Vito

Default 98 Explorer AWD 5.0 V8

At first was hard to start, but will now start but idle poorly (almost
stalling, then smoothing out repeatedly). Also lack of power on
acceleration.

I poured my monthly can of B-12 Chemtool into the gas tank a couple of days
ago - I've never had problems before doing this in over 230K miles.

Pulled the IAC and cleaned it...no change.

Pulled all plugs and cleaned them...no change.

Pulled codes P1504 (Idle Air Circuit) and P0153 (O2 Sensor circuit slow
response; Bank 2 Sensor 1)

Any ideas of where to look next?

Vito

Old September 26th 06, 07:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
hellranter

First, replace that o2. It's not related to your problem, but no one wants
to buy more gas or pay for a new catalytic converter after dumping unburnt
fuel into it.
Does your scanner read data, or just pull codes? If the former, look for the
barometric pressure from the mass air flow sensor. A common problem with
Ford MAF's is the hot wire getting dirty, and sending high-altitude readings
to the computer. Clean the screen and hot wire first, replace if that
doesn't work. The IAC code could have resulted from bogged-down idle, from
which the poor little motor couldn't recover.