squealing speedo question...

Old February 3rd 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
jd-drafter@home

Default squealing speedo question...

hello- i am a semi new poster and long time lurker here,

planning on becoming more frequent as i work on my daughters 68 vert...

as the subject indicates the speedo is given o fit's of incredibly loud
squealing, as well as the needle bouncing all over and then not working...

i am not a complete newbie with vw's.. i served some time as a shop grunt
for a vw master mechanic.

(bruce brimhall ,r.i.p.,died last year but his current shop helper has
stepped up to the plate and is doing a fine job covering the bases)

but 10 pluss years behind a desk doing cadd design and civil engineering has
left my vw blade dull and in need of sharpening. 8^)

do i need to just get a rebuilt? or is there anything i can do to prolong
yet quiet the the musical life of my unit?

thanks a bunch-

jd-drafter

Old February 3rd 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

jd-drafter@home wrote:

> hello- i am a semi new poster and long time lurker here,
>
> planning on becoming more frequent as i work on my daughters 68 vert...
>
> as the subject indicates the speedo is given o fit's of incredibly loud
> squealing, as well as the needle bouncing all over and then not working...
>
> i am not a complete newbie with vw's.. i served some time as a shop grunt
> for a vw master mechanic.
>
> (bruce brimhall ,r.i.p.,died last year but his current shop helper has
> stepped up to the plate and is doing a fine job covering the bases)
>
> but 10 pluss years behind a desk doing cadd design and civil engineering has
> left my vw blade dull and in need of sharpening. 8^)
>
> do i need to just get a rebuilt? or is there anything i can do to prolong
> yet quiet the the musical life of my unit?
>
> thanks a bunch-
>
> jd-drafter

Dear shop grunt:

No need for a rebuilt.
There is a bushing on the input shaft which eventually
runs out of lube after......40 years!
You can work light lube in there without disassembly,
though the thing is at an odd angle and taking the
speedo out of the dash makes it easier.

This site shows the "innards" and how to take apart:
http://www.geocities.com/gschan99/Sp...ild/index.html

and this one:
http://xzzy.org/bug/speedo/

and one mo
http://laudeman.com/bug_speedo.html

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!"
Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.
Old February 3rd 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
jd-drafter@home

"Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
. net...
> jd-drafter@home wrote:

> Dear shop grunt:

thanks- i'll give that a look- could i just put a few drops of wd-40 in
there? or ? grease or graphite? teflon lube?

jd-drafter

Old February 3rd 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

jd-drafter@home wrote:

> "Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
> . net...
>
>>jd-drafter@home wrote:

>>Dear shop grunt:
>>

> thanks- i'll give that a look- could i just put a few drops of wd-40 in
> there? or ? grease or graphite? teflon lube?
>
> jd-drafter

Maybe 3-in-one light oil?
I think most folks prefer a light grease for some permanence.

Lot o' ways to skin the cat :-)
Old February 3rd 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randy

On Feb 3, 12:18 pm, Speedy Jim > wrote:
> jd-drafter@home wrote:
> > hello- i am a semi new poster and long time lurker here,

> > planning on becoming more frequent as i work on my daughters 68 vert...

> > as the subject indicates the speedo is given o fit's of incredibly loud
> > squealing, as well as the needle bouncing all over and then not working...

> > i am not a complete newbie with vw's.. i served some time as a shop grunt
> > for a vw master mechanic.

> > (bruce brimhall ,r.i.p.,died last year but his current shop helper has
> > stepped up to the plate and is doing a fine job covering the bases)

> > but 10 pluss years behind a desk doing cadd design and civil engineering has
> > left my vw blade dull and in need of sharpening. 8^)

> > do i need to just get a rebuilt? or is there anything i can do to prolong
> > yet quiet the the musical life of my unit?

> > thanks a bunch-

> > jd-drafter

> Dear shop grunt:
>
> No need for a rebuilt.
> There is a bushing on the input shaft which eventually
> runs out of lube after......40 years!
> You can work light lube in there without disassembly,
> though the thing is at an odd angle and taking the
> speedo out of the dash makes it easier.
>
> This site shows the "innards" and how to take apart:http://www.geocities.com/gschan99/Sp...ild/index.html
>
> and this one:http://xzzy.org/bug/speedo/
>
> and one mohttp://laudeman.com/bug_speedo.html
>
> Speedy Jimhttp://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
>
> "I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!"
> Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.- Hide quoted text -

Another culprit could be the speedo cable it'self.

Randy

Old February 4th 07, 05:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"jd-drafter@home" > wrote in message
> hello- i am a semi new poster and long time lurker here,
>
> planning on becoming more frequent as i work on my daughters 68 vert...
>
> as the subject indicates the speedo is given o fit's of incredibly loud
> squealing, as well as the needle bouncing all over and then not working...
>
> i am not a complete newbie with vw's.. i served some time as a shop grunt
> for a vw master mechanic.
>
> (bruce brimhall ,r.i.p.,died last year but his current shop helper has
> stepped up to the plate and is doing a fine job covering the bases)
>
> but 10 pluss years behind a desk doing cadd design and civil engineering
> has left my vw blade dull and in need of sharpening. 8^)
>
> do i need to just get a rebuilt? or is there anything i can do to prolong
> yet quiet the the musical life of my unit?
>
> thanks a bunch-
>
> jd-drafter

you can try to spray some lube in through the cable connection....or you can
remove it and disassemble it and clean all the old crusty grease out and
then regrease it....i did the latter...worked great....
here are a few pictures of a 68(one year only) speedo....(posted this for
someone that wanted to know how to change the "gels" in the speedo...but you
can see what is going on...if you need anymore detailed pics of the inner
workings let me know, i have two other 68 speedos disassembled now....the
wife would love to see them gone off the counter)
http://hometown.aol.com/bugninva/speedo.html

Old February 4th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Howard Rose[_1_]

On 3 Feb 2007 11:23:31 -0800, "Randy" > wrote:

>Another culprit could be the speedo cable it'self.

Last winter I had this problem, the speedo was screeching
intermittently. I traced it to the speedo cable, but ever since I
bought a replacement the noise has disappeared, typical!
--
Howard Rose
www.howard81.co.uk

A Physics Question Alan Baker Driving 1 September 9th 06 05:49 AM
2005 Mustang Fog Light Question Craig Shaffer Ford Mustang 2 June 23rd 06 06:24 PM
1993 Saturn Fuel Filter Question OHC (SOHC)? [email protected] Saturn 7 May 21st 06 08:39 PM
'66 speedo question Mark C. Ford Mustang 2 May 6th 06 05:41 PM
86 gti speedo problem Gabriel VW water cooled 2 April 15th 06 05:49 PM