Underinsured motorist at fault in accident- any suggestions to comeout

Old January 14th 08, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Vinoth

Default Underinsured motorist at fault in accident- any suggestions to comeout

Hi all,

I met with the accident in Texas.I was at fault in the accident.

I hit the pickup truck in the rear end corner .The driver hit bushes
on side of road.No1 injured in the accident

So, far the insurance claim had come up to 35000$.The other persons
insurance company is paying them and sent the estimate to my company.

I am covered by my company for a liability of only 15000$.

Claims does not sound to be reasonable from the visible damages I had
seen.

I am not sure how to handle this.

Should I approach an attorney for solving this?

What are the chances of other insurance suing me for the remaining
amount?

....As a final option, I am thinking of filing a bankruptcy.If I do so,
wat major problems will I face?

Any guidance would be great.

Thanks and Regards,
Vinoth
Old January 14th 08, 05:26 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alexander Rogge

> I hit the pickup truck in the rear end corner .The driver hit bushes
> on side of road.
> So, far the insurance claim had come up to 35000$.

Most pick-up trucks aren't worth $35,000. You need a different value
estimator.

> Should I approach an attorney for solving this?

Your insurance should be doing that for you. You shouldn't be billed
for more than the sale price of the truck. It sounds like you are being
swindled.

> ....As a final option, I am thinking of filing a bankruptcy.If I do so,
> wat major problems will I face?

You would be in bankruptcy, which is a big problem.

Old January 14th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer

Vinoth:
> Hi all,
>
> I met with the accident in Texas.I was at fault in the accident.

First off, I am not a lawyer, so any advice you recieve from this post
is worth what you paid for it.

> I hit the pickup truck in the rear end corner .The driver hit bushes
> on side of road.No1 injured in the accident
>
> So, far the insurance claim had come up to 35000$.The other persons
> insurance company is paying them and sent the estimate to my company.

Those must be some expensive bushes. Or was the truck painted with gold?
There's something fishy about that claim and I suspect some bill padding
was done.

> I am covered by my company for a liability of only 15000$.
>
> Claims does not sound to be reasonable from the visible damages I had
> seen.

I agree.

> I am not sure how to handle this.
>
> Should I approach an attorney for solving this?

If it would make you feel better, then by all means do so. Talking to
the lawyer would only cost you his fees and he can provide you with
better advice than anyone here can.

> What are the chances of other insurance suing me for the remaining
> amount?
>
> ...As a final option, I am thinking of filing a bankruptcy.If I do so,
> wat major problems will I face?

See what your insurance company and the other one do first. They may
just write it off and be done with it.

--
"Mc Gruff the Crime Dog has been missing for about two weeks, now.
He was last seen sniffing around Michael Vick's House..."
Old January 14th 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
C. E. White[_1_]

"Alexander Rogge" > wrote in message
>> I hit the pickup truck in the rear end corner .The driver hit
>> bushes
>> on side of road.
>> So, far the insurance claim had come up to 35000$.

> Most pick-up trucks aren't worth $35,000. You need a different
> value estimator.

Why do you think that? Have you priced a full sized diesel pick-up
truck lately? Without more information (truck model, age, options,
damage, etc.) it is impossible to say that what the replacement cost
might be. I also suspect there might be injury charges included. No
matter how minor the accident some people develop ailments that they
attribute to the accident. My son was in a extremely minor incident
(his foot slipped off the brake and he rolled forward and touched a
car in front at a light). There was absolutely no property damage, not
even a scratch on a bumper, yet the driver of the car he touched is
claming a neck injury and suing for damages.

>> Should I approach an attorney for solving this?

> Your insurance should be doing that for you. You shouldn't be
> billed for more than the sale price of the truck. It sounds like
> you are being swindled.

Could be. However, an insurance company is not necessarily looking out
for your best interest. They only care about their best interest.
Another example. My other son was in a parking lot accident that I
felt was mostly the other drivers fault. My son was turning into a
parking space and a car tried to pass him on the right as he was
parking, resulting in damage to the side of my Son's car and the front
of the other vehicle. The police investigated and noted my son did not
use his turn signal. The police ignored witnesses who described the
accident. I contacted the insurance company and was assured that my
son was not at fault and that they would not pay any claim by the
other party. Unfortunately they also explained that under North
Carolina law the other party would not have to pay either, since it
was obvious both parties were at least partially liable. I was not
ahppy, but let it go. A few months later, when I got my insurance
bill, I was shocked to see a large increase. When I queried the
company, I was told that the rates had increased becasue they had paid
out after an accident (my Son's parking lot accident). It turns out
the other party in the accident had hired a lawyer and was threatening
to sue and my insurance company just paid the claim rather than fight.
They never told me that they were going to do this. I understand that
this is their right. However, if I had known they were going to treat
the claim this way, I would have hired my own lawyer and sued the
other party under the same basis.

>> ....As a final option, I am thinking of filing a bankruptcy.If I do
>> so,
>> wat major problems will I face?

> You would be in bankruptcy, which is a big problem.

If you have no money, and no insurance, the other party is unlikely to
sue, particularly if they are running a scam. Not much profit in suing
poor people with bad insurance.

I think it is silly of you to have such low liability limits. $15K
would barely cover the cost of a modern stripper (Corolla S, Focus,
Honda Fit, etc.).

Ed

Old January 14th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Jan 14, 7:43*am, necromancer
> wrote:
> *Vinoth:
>
> > Hi all,

> > I met with the accident in Texas.I was at fault in the accident.

> First off, I am not a lawyer, so any advice you recieve from this post
> is worth what you paid for it.
>
> > I hit the pickup truck in the rear end corner .The driver hit bushes
> > on side of road.No1 injured in the accident

> > So, far the insurance claim had come up to *35000$.The other persons
> > insurance company is paying them and sent the estimate to my company.

> Those must be some expensive bushes. Or was the truck painted with gold?
> There's something fishy about that claim and I suspect some bill padding
> was done.
>
> > I am covered by my company for a liability of only 15000$.

> > Claims does not sound to be reasonable from the visible damages I had
> > seen.

> I agree.

I suspect an examination of the claim will have medical claims
included.

As to the insurance. I didn't know you could even get insurance with
such a piddling coverage. My first policy back in 54 I paid extra to
boost the minimum to 100,000 which was high for those days. I was
driving a junker 38 chev at the time working for minimum wage.

Harry K
Old January 14th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alexander Rogge

>> I hit the pickup truck in the rear end corner .The driver hit bushes
>> on side of road.No1 injured in the accident
>>
>> So, far the insurance claim had come up to 35000$.The other persons
>> insurance company is paying them and sent the estimate to my company.

> There's something fishy about that claim and I suspect some bill padding
> was done.

I've been in a $35,000 truck, and it could crush a small car, and then
tow it out of the ditch. These diesel pick-up trucks can be purchased
for under $35,000. I couldn't do much to damage it, except maybe to
park it in front of a moving train.
Old January 15th 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Jan 14, 6:25*pm, Scott in SoCal > wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:52:51 -0800 (PST), Harry K
>
> > wrote:
> >As to the insurance. *I didn't know you could even get insurance with
> >such a piddling coverage. *

> The state minimum in Florida is a ridiculous $10,000.
> --
> "You can all kiss my @ss!"
> * - Carl Rogers, Message-ID: >

Why have a mandatory insurance at all? Or is it even mandatory?

Harry K
Old January 15th 08, 04:14 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer

Scott in SoCal:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:52:51 -0800 (PST), Harry K
> > wrote:
>
> >As to the insurance. I didn't know you could even get insurance with
> >such a piddling coverage.

> The state minimum in Florida is a ridiculous $10,000.

That's FloriDUH, for you. This is the state that allows morotcyclists to
ride helmetless so long as they carry at least US$10,000 in medical
coverage. That ought to cover the ambulance ride to the hospital and
maybe cover 1 or 2 minutes in the ER.....

Presidential numerology:
Name: Ronald Wilson Reagan
Letter Count: 6 6 6
Numbers Together: 666
Old January 15th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
MLOM

On Jan 14, 9:11*pm, Harry K > wrote:
> On Jan 14, 6:25*pm, Scott in SoCal > wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:52:51 -0800 (PST), Harry K

> > > wrote:
> > >As to the insurance. *I didn't know you could even get insurance with
> > >such a piddling coverage. *

> > The state minimum in Florida is a ridiculous $10,000.
> > --
> > "You can all kiss my @ss!"
> > * - Carl Rogers, Message-ID: >

> Why have a mandatory insurance at all? *Or is it even mandatory?
>
> Harry K

It is in many states. Here in MO a conviction for no insurance
carries a harsher fine than first-time DUI.
Old January 15th 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Jan 14, 7:14*pm, necromancer
> wrote:
> *Scott in SoCal:
>
> > On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:52:51 -0800 (PST), Harry K
> > > wrote:

> > >As to the insurance. *I didn't know you could even get insurance with
> > >such a piddling coverage. *

> > The state minimum in Florida is a ridiculous $10,000.

> That's FloriDUH, for you. This is the state that allows morotcyclists to
> ride helmetless so long as they carry at least US$10,000 in medical
> coverage. That ought to cover the ambulance ride to the hospital and
> maybe cover 1 or 2 minutes in the ER.....

> Presidential numerology:
> Name: * * * * Ronald * Wilson * Reagan
> Letter Count: * *6 * * * *6 * * * 6
> Numbers Together: * 666

IIANM that is better than here (WA). You can go helmetless period.
No extra requirements.

Harry K