156 - bubbles in coolant bottle

Old February 25th 05, 10:25 PM
Steve Collins

Default 156 - bubbles in coolant bottle

Hi,

I've just noticed that when revving the engine on my 156 2.0TS, bubbles
appear in the coolant filler bottle.

My suspicion is that this means the head gasket has failed but the car has
no other symtoms of this - it doesn't seem to be getting oil into the water
or water into the oil etc.

Anybody else seen this?

Cheers,
Steve

Old February 26th 05, 12:05 AM
alfistagj

"Steve Collins" > schreef in bericht
> Anybody else seen this?

Yes, when my headgasket was blown ;-(
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

Old February 26th 05, 12:23 PM
Steve Collins

Can you remember how much it cost to get the head gasket changed (presuming
an Alfa dealership did the work!) ?

Cheers!
Steve

.. .

Old February 26th 05, 03:10 PM
Dominic Cioccarelli

It could also just be air in the coolant. Try bleeding the cooling system.
It is only oil if the coolant appears to be "milky". This appearance would
tend to remain even after you had finished revving the engine.

Dominic.

Old February 26th 05, 04:23 PM
Steve Collins

That's good .. the coolant definately doesn't look milky.

The air seems to be getting blown in from the small hose at the top of the
coolant bottle rather than the main hose at the bottom ... there's not much
air at all so maybe it's nothing to worry about - the car isn't overheating
or anything it just looked alarming when I first noticed it.

Cheers,
Steve

Old February 26th 05, 05:56 PM
Hellraiser

"Steve Collins" > wrote in message
> That's good .. the coolant definately doesn't look milky.
>
> The air seems to be getting blown in from the small hose at the top of the
> coolant bottle rather than the main hose at the bottom ... there's not
> much air at all so maybe it's nothing to worry about - the car isn't
> overheating or anything it just looked alarming when I first noticed it.

Don't worry about it, that happened when I changed the stat on my 1.8 Bravo,
it's just an evap pipe that feeds back to the expansion tank. Sounds like
you've got some air in the system, so give it a bleed and see what happens.

Hellraiser.......>

Old February 26th 05, 07:04 PM
alfistagj

Did the job myself.
It takes some 8-10 hours , a good cleaning job of block top and head bottom
to get the gasketrests off and a new gasket, mew oil & filter and new
cooling fluid.
At Dutch dealers the work would cost you 75-100 euro an hour so all included
somewhere between 750 and 1000 euro's (500-700 pounds)

Old February 26th 05, 07:07 PM
alfistagj

Oil in the coolant is quite an un-normal thing.
In 99% of the cases it's coolant in the oil that gives the emulgating
experience (milky sludge in the filler cap)
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)
Rosso Radicofani GT 2.0JTS
Golden Montreal 1428700 (1973/4)

"Dominic Cioccarelli" > schreef in bericht