Replacing Seat Belt and Air Bag after Collision

Old September 15th 09, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ulysses

Default Replacing Seat Belt and Air Bag after Collision

I have an '04 Nissan Frontier that was hit head-on and the driver's air bag
deployed. I repaired/replaced everything that was damaged except the air
bag (so far, still working on it). The driver's seat belt is stuck in place
and will not pull out or retract. Does this have something to do with the
air bag light still being on or is it a seperate problem? I've read that I
need to have the air bag module "reset." Will doing this insure that both
front air bags will be functional?

Do I need to replace the seat belt or is there a way to unlock it?

Thanks.

Old September 15th 09, 11:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Ulysses wrote:
> I have an '04 Nissan Frontier that was hit head-on and the driver's air bag
> deployed. I repaired/replaced everything that was damaged except the air
> bag (so far, still working on it). The driver's seat belt is stuck in place
> and will not pull out or retract. Does this have something to do with the
> air bag light still being on or is it a seperate problem? I've read that I
> need to have the air bag module "reset." Will doing this insure that both
> front air bags will be functional?
>
> Do I need to replace the seat belt or is there a way to unlock it?
>
> Thanks.

I'd replace it anyway. If the airbag deployed that kind of implies that
you were thrown forward against the belt; if you ask Nissan, they'll
tell you to replace it (to conceal their posteriors.)

Additionally, it may have a pyrotechnic tensioner mechanism completely
separate from the airbag system (other than it may be triggered by the
airbag module, not sure) and those are one use only deals.

Unfortunately, you will be at the mercy of the dealer for these; a
junkyard won't sell you seatbelts. (if you think about it for a minute,
you'll see why...)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old September 16th 09, 05:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Ulysses wrote:
> I have an '04 Nissan Frontier that was hit head-on and the driver's air bag
> deployed. I repaired/replaced everything that was damaged except the air
> bag (so far, still working on it). The driver's seat belt is stuck in place
> and will not pull out or retract. Does this have something to do with the
> air bag light still being on or is it a seperate problem? I've read that I
> need to have the air bag module "reset." Will doing this insure that both
> front air bags will be functional?
>
> Do I need to replace the seat belt or is there a way to unlock it?
>
> Thanks.

Did you also replace the air bag collision sensors?
The belt will need to be replaced because it has a charge similar to the
air bag in it. That is why it's locked. Also check the passenger side as
well. It may have triggered as well.(it's not supposed to BUT!)
Once you have replaced the sensors (and any bad wiring) replaced the bag
and made sure the belts are good the system will run a diagnostic.

If you then connect it up to a scan tool it will show the system OK and
allow the light to be reset.
A scan tool can also show you which sensors have tripped, which items
have fired and give you a better idea of what to replace.

The belt and bag will need to come from a dealer. They are both items
that the salvage yards are not allowed to sell any longer.

--
Steve W.
Old September 16th 09, 03:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ulysses

"Steve W." > wrote in message
> Ulysses wrote:
> > I have an '04 Nissan Frontier that was hit head-on and the driver's air

bag
> > deployed. I repaired/replaced everything that was damaged except the

air
> > bag (so far, still working on it). The driver's seat belt is stuck in

place
> > and will not pull out or retract. Does this have something to do with

the
> > air bag light still being on or is it a seperate problem? I've read

that I
> > need to have the air bag module "reset." Will doing this insure that

both
> > front air bags will be functional?
> >
> > Do I need to replace the seat belt or is there a way to unlock it?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> Did you also replace the air bag collision sensors?
> The belt will need to be replaced because it has a charge similar to the
> air bag in it. That is why it's locked. Also check the passenger side as
> well. It may have triggered as well.(it's not supposed to BUT!)
> Once you have replaced the sensors (and any bad wiring) replaced the bag
> and made sure the belts are good the system will run a diagnostic.
>
> If you then connect it up to a scan tool it will show the system OK and
> allow the light to be reset.
> A scan tool can also show you which sensors have tripped, which items
> have fired and give you a better idea of what to replace.
>
> The belt and bag will need to come from a dealer. They are both items
> that the salvage yards are not allowed to sell any longer.
>
> --
> Steve W.

Thanks (both of you) for the excellent info. It did not occur to me that
the seat belt would give a code on a scan tool. Good thing I'm here asking
you guys ;-)

The passenger side belt *seems* to be OK but from what you said if it's not
then I should get an error code. The great deal I found on an air bag
appears to be a salvage item but doesn't say so in the listing. Now I see
why. In any case my wife drives this truck and she would be difficult to
replace so I'd better keep looking for a new air bag.

Now all I have to do is find a Nissan dealer that's still there....

Old September 16th 09, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Sep 16, 10:35*am, "Ulysses" > wrote:
> "Steve W." > wrote in message

> > Ulysses wrote:
> > > I have an '04 Nissan Frontier that was hit head-on and the driver's air

> bag
> > > deployed. *I repaired/replaced everything that was damaged except the

> air
> > > bag (so far, still working on it). *The driver's seat belt is stuck in

> place
> > > and will not pull out or retract. *Does this have something to do with

> the
> > > air bag light still being on or is it a seperate problem? *I've read

> that I
> > > need to have the air bag module "reset." *Will doing this insure that

> both
> > > front air bags will be functional?

> > > Do I need to replace the seat belt or is there a way to unlock it?

> > > Thanks.

> > Did you also replace the air bag collision sensors?
> > The belt will need to be replaced because it has a charge similar to the
> > air bag in it. That is why it's locked. Also check the passenger side as
> > well. It may have triggered as well.(it's not supposed to BUT!)
> > Once you have replaced the sensors (and any bad wiring) replaced the bag
> > and made sure the belts are good the system will run a diagnostic.

> > If you then connect it up to a scan tool it will show the system OK and
> > allow the light to be reset.
> > A scan tool can also show you which sensors have tripped, which items
> > have fired and give you a better idea of what to replace.

> > The belt and bag will need to come from a dealer. They are both items
> > that the salvage yards are not allowed to sell any longer.

> > --
> > Steve W.

> Thanks (both of *you) for the excellent info. *It did not occur to me that
> the seat belt would give a code on a scan tool. *Good thing I'm here asking
> you guys ;-)
>
> The passenger side belt *seems* to be OK but from what you said if it's not
> then I should get an error code. *The great deal I found on an air bag
> appears to be a salvage item but doesn't say so in the listing. *Now I see
> why. *In any case my wife drives this truck and she would be difficult to
> replace so I'd better keep looking for a new air bag.
>
> Now all I have to do is find a Nissan dealer that's still there....- Hide quoted text -

I personally don't see the big deal with using a used air bag unless
there's obvious corrosion etc. but you pays your money and you takes
your chances. It all depends on your personal comfort level with the
risk involved.

Now a used seat belt, that's another story - the party line has always
been that you should replace any seat belt that was in use at the time
of a crash, and anything in a junkyard may have degraded from outdoor
exposure etc. so you shouldn't use those either. That's just because
of the integrity of the webbing etc. The pyrotechnic thing is yet
another consideration to take into account.

nate
Old September 16th 09, 07:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"N8N" > wrote in message news:60461b24-606d-4b64-
I personally don't see the big deal with using a used air bag unless
there's obvious corrosion etc. but you pays your money and you takes
your chances. It all depends on your personal comfort level with the
risk involved.
**********

I know what you are saying, but the legal issues that could crop up could
make one lose some sleep..."What if's"
And I dont know the answer to "what if".

I would not let my wife drive anything that I had any doubts about.
Old September 16th 09, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Sep 16, 2:40*pm, "hls" > wrote:
> "N8N" > wrote in message news:60461b24-606d-4b64-
>
> I personally don't see the big deal with using a used air bag unless
> there's obvious corrosion etc. but you pays your money and you takes
> your chances. *It all depends on your personal comfort level with the
> risk involved.
> **********
>
> I know what you are saying, but the legal issues that could crop up could
> make one lose some sleep..."What if's"
> And I dont know the answer to "what if".
>
> I would not let my wife drive anything that I had any doubts about.

I guess I am a little more risk tolerant than most when it comes to
passive safety devices, because I don't really worry about having to
use them. Heck, I don't own a car with airbags.

Now tires, struts, suspension bushings, brakes, etc... those are the
important bits.

Other people's priorities may be different, obviously.

nate
Old September 16th 09, 08:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"N8N" > wrote in message news:e9afb65e-139a-44db-
Now tires, struts, suspension bushings, brakes, etc... those are the
important bits.

Other people's priorities may be different, obviously.

nate
********
I agree with you totally about critical suspension parts, tires, etc.
The figures seem to say that the air bag is a life saver...but, I know of
some people who have been injured by them...not life threatening injuries,
but injuries requiring plastic surgery, etc.

Better than being dead though.
Old September 16th 09, 08:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

hls > wrote:

>I know what you are saying, but the legal issues that could crop up could
>make one lose some sleep..."What if's"
>And I dont know the answer to "what if".
>
>I would not let my wife drive anything that I had any doubts about.

Cars went for years without airbags. My wife drives a car without an
airbag every day, and so do I.
--scott
Old September 16th 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ulysses

"hls" > wrote in message

> "N8N" > wrote in message news:e9afb65e-139a-44db-
> Now tires, struts, suspension bushings, brakes, etc... those are the
> important bits.
>
> Other people's priorities may be different, obviously.
>
> nate
> ********
> I agree with you totally about critical suspension parts, tires, etc.
> The figures seem to say that the air bag is a life saver...but, I know of
> some people who have been injured by them...not life threatening injuries,
> but injuries requiring plastic surgery, etc.
>
> Better than being dead though.

This would all be a lot simpler if I hated my wife and wanted to get rid of
her ;-)

Replacing Compressor Belt JoeBeem BMW 4 August 29th 07 10:53 PM
BMW E36: replacing camshaft belt? [email protected] Driving 4 July 24th 06 07:52 PM
Replacing Multi-V Belt C.Read BMW 0 March 20th 06 02:27 PM
Replacing timing belt Eric VW water cooled 4 July 27th 05 11:57 PM
replacing timing belt Sven Agardh VW water cooled 17 January 15th 05 12:08 AM