1991 Dodge Spirit - start-up problems. engine turns over.

Old June 10th 04, 03:40 AM
No Thankyou

Default 1991 Dodge Spirit - start-up problems. engine turns over.

We are working on a 1991 Dodge Spirit for a show at the speedway here
in Calgary. In order to free up room for the roll cage we cut some
wires leading to the rear of the car. We did this previously in a 1981
Pontiac Parisienne and it caused no problems, but unfortunately we
quickly discovered that the Spirit is different.

After cutting the wires we noticed the car wouldn't start anymore; it
would turn over, which seemed to suggest that either the ignition of
the gas in the chamber wasn't working (sparks) or there was no fuel in
the chamber, so no fuel was getting to the carburetor. We suspect the
latter.

Following the wires to the rear of the car we noticed some went
through the floor to what appears to be the fuel pump. We took note of
the colors of the wires and re spliced those wires back together again
at the point where we had cut them. The car will still not start, it
continues to turn over though. We cut other wires that ran to the
light switches

All the wires use a unique color code so it is impossible to match two
different wires of the same color together.

We also suspect that the ASD (Automatic Shut Down) Relay could be a
culprit, since it controls power to the ignition coil, fuel injectors,
and electric fuel pump. When the SBEC (Single Board Engine Controller)
is receiving no reference signals from the distributor it will
de-energize the ASD and no power will be supplied to the ignition
coil, fuel injectors or electric fuel pump. Is there something that
could need to be reset because we cut the wires leading to the fuel
pump?

If you require more information please tell me what you require and I
will post it ASAP. Thank you. All help appreciated.